Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, I had my 2014 Fiat 500L towed after the strong smell of burning plastic/rubber and smoke coming from the front drivers side. The fiat dealership service department said the dual clutch system makes it so I will need to put my car in neutral if I'm sitting in traffic or in a line. Seems odd that I would have to put my automatic transmission ("dual clutch") car in neutral while driving in order to deal with this problem. Service dept ran a diagnostic and nothing came up so they told me to pick up the car. Next time I drove it, 30 minute commute, no traffic, burning smell at the end of the trip when I parked. Same on the ride home - 35 minute commute, some traffic, put car in neutral like suggested, burning smell when I parked. I have since set an appointment for service. I feel unsafe driving my family in our family car at this time. Anyone else having this problem? My car has about 8000 miles.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hey folks, I had my 2014 Fiat 500L towed after the strong smell of burning plastic/rubber and smoke coming from the front drivers side. The fiat dealership service department said the dual clutch system makes it so I will need to put my car in neutral if I'm sitting in traffic or in a line. Seems odd that I would have to put my automatic transmission ("dual clutch") car in neutral while driving in order to deal with this problem. Service dept ran a diagnostic and nothing came up so they told me to pick up the car. Next time I drove it, 30 minute commute, no traffic, burning smell at the end of the trip when I parked. Same on the ride home - 35 minute commute, some traffic, put car in neutral like suggested, burning smell when I parked. I have since set an appointment for service. I feel unsafe driving my family in our family car at this time. Anyone else having this problem? My car has about 8000 miles.
Hi rlbarr13,
I'm very sorry to hear about this! If you'd like to PM me your VIN, contact information, and the name of the studio where you're going to be making an appointment, I can see if there's anything I can do to assist you through this process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello team.
My car is 2017 and just done less than 3000 miles.
Once in a while I keep getting burnt smelling front the engine compartment and into the car also.

What could be the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi rlbarr13,
I'm very sorry to hear about this! If you'd like to PM me your VIN, contact information, and the name of the studio where you're going to be making an appointment, I can see if there's anything I can do to assist you through this process.
Would be nice if you could help me. I have the same issue.. also, just had the transmission rebuilt and new clutch at the beginning of the year, needless to say, the dual clutch is burning up again and it really makes me feel unsafe about having my family in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Would be nice if you could help me. I have the same issue.. also, just had the transmission rebuilt and new clutch at the beginning of the year, needless to say, the dual clutch is burning up again and it really makes me feel unsafe about having my family in the vehicle.
Hi Lunaoneluv,
I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please follow up with me via DM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.
Rob
FiatCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aww
Hi Lunaoneluv,
I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please follow up with me via DM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.
Rob
FiatCares
Hi guys ive been having the same issue with the dual clutch burning up and i would love some help!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Aww

Hi guys ive been having the same issue with the dual clutch burning up and i would love some help!
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
That’s normal for Dual clutch transmission. All of them do that, all brands. Especially sitting in stop and go traffic. You need to pull over and let the transmission cool off, in those situation. A indicator message, will show up on you dash cluster. That means the transmission is over heating. Please open your 2014 500L‘s owners manual, and you can read about it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If that is normal or expected then why would so many high performance vehicles like a Nissan GTR, use one ? that's a crazy concept to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If that is normal or expected then why would so many high performance vehicles like a Nissan GTR, use one ? that's a crazy concept to me.
Did some quick research a dual clutch automatic needs to be treated more like a manual if sitting still make sure your foot is on the break so it doesn't use the clutch to hold you in place it overheats the clutch, absolutely put it in Nuetral if possible.
Hope all of you with these issues have your issues resolved, and are safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts