Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at numerous thread on here with pics of springs and wheels I have decided my next direction 100%.

I am going to get the Eibach Pro Kit that everyone seems to be happy with and a set of 17x8 et25 wheels with 195/45/17 tires. This should give me a little stretch to clear the fenders and any suspension components.

I do not think the extra 1" total height will be an issue since looking at most pictures, there is still plenty of fender gap with the pro-kit.

So, now my search is on for the right wheels. I wish the Stance wheels were available in 17" size. I really want a wheel with a nice lip on it.

I guess this is not the most informative post and most of you will probably be questioning, "why the heck did this guy make a post about this?".

At one point I was considering going with an Air Ride setup. I really would prefer that direction but $2,500 for a suspension setup on this car is a little over the budget.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds good to me, I have been thinking a lot on the same (even though I don't even have a car yet) and I am leaning towards the Sportline Kit from Eibach, like that extra drop in front and have my eye on 16x8 or 16x7.5s et20 with stock tires to start. I have had two sets of coils on my current car and liking the more reasonable price of springs and not worrying about rubbing so much.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
that's going to be a serious tire stretch.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you newer school dubbers. I've been reppin' since 88 yo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice, I had a 1997 new in 1997 as my first, but had a couple 84s along the way plus a few others.

·
Registered
343 Posts
After looking at numerous thread on here with pics of springs and wheels I have decided my next direction 100%.

I am going to get the Eibach Pro Kit that everyone seems to be happy with
Not everyone is really happy with it. For example I got used to it but seriously - sometimes I think my dampers are all blown. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not everyone is really happy with it. For example I got used to it but seriously - sometimes I think my dampers are all blown. :(
I know you are not 100% satisfied and your experiences are similar to a few others also. After looking at the threads with the installation pictures of the actual springs with normal load on them, it appears, that if eibach were to add a little bit more initial stiffness to the progressive rate coil portion then they would not all be dead coils. With half the coils as dead coils the job of supporting the car lies in the other half of the spring which means that they needs to be that much stiffer to do the job. There should be a way to add more coils to the spring so that you can have more distribution of the load. More coils the better the ride.

That is the other advantage of Coilovers. If I want a 100lb/inch spring I can order that. If i am on a race track one weekend I could conceivable swap out the 100 spring for a 400 spring.

My ideal suspension setup for a road car is a super stiff sway bar and super soft springs. That way I can soak up the bumps and the sway bar keeps it from tipping over.

My off road jeep was like that. Had a disconnectable sway bar and soft suspension. Gave it a great ride on road and when disconnected off road I had awesome articulation. When I drove it on the road without the sway bar it was like I had an elephant on the roof trying to tip me over. With the sway bar I got way way less lean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts