Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the electric power steering column motor which I'm told includes the torque sensor with a used part or had theirs rebuilt?

~how do you know a used part won't be as bad as mine?
~Are rebuilding options a better choice?
~WHY does a new part cost $2400????
Ugh.

Thanks for any advice. A motorhead I am not.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The parts is about $1500-ish, if you look for it online, the proper mopar parts, not quite $2400. I didn't look far enough, but you may wanna search the web for a rebuild service where you can send it in and have it rebuilt/re-calibrated. My friend tells me that there's one in England, you may check with them, because that may still save you a ton of money, even with shipping. The removal is pleasantly straightforward, it's all done inside of the car, as the unit is basically in the column.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SO MUCH for your response. Yes I did find the UK business that rebuilds with a lifetime warranty for $290 US dollars and they pay for shipping to England, you pay the $50 return shipping only.

If it's not 'fixable' they refund your $ and just charge a small fee for diagnostics.

This is one of those DUH moments. Hmmmmm. $2400 or $350ish?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

they seem to rebuild everything!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any ideas if I can to drive my car with this C1002 fault code when it has been diagnosed as a true faulty unit? I sent to UK (they were amazing and didn't charge me for evaluation) and they said ECU is faulty and cannot be rebuilt (they tried). Part still not available for unforeseen future, and major expensive at that. Can one drive this car without power steering? Or can I disconnect power steering so at least it won't fail driving down thee road unexpectedly?

Other than this car runs well. 85K miles. 2012, fiat Lounge. Thanks all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyones input.
As of now, the poor Fiat is parked. Not safely drivable. Can't fix the fault code without a considerable investment, and I've already put too much time/money into it.

Probably my last question. Has anyone ever pulled the power steering fuse and driven it without power steering? The video someone sent references the location of the fuse for a different year and does not look like mine.

Any reason to think it would be unsafe to drive even though likely stiff?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Thanks for everyones input.
As of now, the poor Fiat is parked. Not safely drivable. Can't fix the fault code without a considerable investment, and I've already put too much time/money into it.

Probably my last question. Has anyone ever pulled the power steering fuse and driven it without power steering? The video someone sent references the location of the fuse for a different year and does not look like mine.

Any reason to think it would be unsafe to drive even though likely stiff?
Hmmm. F05 in the fuse box in the engine compartment is the power steering fuse for all years, according to the service manual.I have not had a personal experience in driving it without power steering on this car, so I can't tell you, but I think you should be able to. If you decide to, test it in an empty parking lot, and let us know if that works or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts