Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to see my MPG today, after 100 kms. I was wondering if you could all post yours.

19 MPG.

:eek:

This number is the same one I had with my tuned Volvo turbo 5 engine.

Something definitely must be wrong! I mean, it's the automatic engine, but still... I was expecting 25 MPG, at least!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have no idea how you're only getting 19 mpg.

I have a heavy foot and I drive fairly spirited and I average 31 mpg in the city with the 5 speed manual. If you actually get 19mpg on a full tank you would only get roughly 280 kms on a 40 liter tank which is actually impossible because I get over 500kms everytime

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how you're only getting 19 mpg.

I have a heavy foot and I drive fairly spirited and I average 31 mpg in the city with the 5 speed manual. If you actually get 19mpg on a full tank you would only get roughly 280 kms on a 40 liter tank which is actually impossible because I get over 500kms everytime
I don't know! I reset the trip computer and will start taking new measurements.

I also activated eco:Drive to see if it can get me better / more accurate numbers.

Bear in mind, I live 7,000 ft above sea level, and to get to my home I actually have to drive about 700 feet upwards.

Still... what's going on..?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got 17.2 on my last tank... but there are a lot of mini coopers, here in SoCal, that are that have been educated by Fiat 500.

(to be fair I am pretty sure they were automatic, people who lack technique with a 5 speed, and church grannies) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
that seems a bit low. was this your own calculation (odometer figure divided by amount of gas filled) or are you reading this from somewhere ? it may only be a short term reading and not a cumulative measure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that seems a bit low. was this your own calculation (odometer figure divided by amount of gas filled) or are you reading this from somewhere ? it may only be a short term reading and not a cumulative measure.

Trip computer.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I'm getting a very steady 42.7 mpg with manual transmission. Highest mpg on a tank was 44.5, and lowest was 41.5. (These could have been due to inaccurate fill-up levels, but over time these produce the average number).

I drive in rush hour traffic, my average speed is about 30 mph. I don't go over 60 mph, and I downshift instead of using the brakes. The traffic usually backs up at predictable spots.

The cruise control stays on about 90% of the time. I'm really loving the steering wheel mounted controls. Hold the minus down until the car ahead exits, and then plus it right back up to 60 ...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting a very steady 42.7 mpg with manual transmission. ...
While driving at 50 mph I got the highest instantaneous mpg I've ever seen on my car: 47 mpg. I wish I could keep it that high, but I'm always around stop and go traffic...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I got 17.2 on my last tank... but there are a lot of mini coopers, here in SoCal, that are that have been educated by Fiat 500.

(to be fair I am pretty sure they were automatic, people who lack technique with a 5 speed, and church grannies) :rolleyes:
You're getting 17 mpg? I'd be driving it right back to the dealership.
That's what my 238 hp rotary engine Mazda rx8 got.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My guess is you're just getting an early reading. Reset it the next time you fill up (sounds like you already did this) and check it out then.

When I first got mine, it was averaging a very low number, like 9mpg. As I drove it, though, and worked off those garage miles, those numbers steadily increased.

Currently, my "average average" is around 43.5mpg. That's just a guess on my part -- I check it and reset it with every fill-up and it's usually around there. The best I've ever averaged is 47.1mpg over 124 miles.

Ryan

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is more like it. Now I'm averaging 26mpg... good.

But, now I wonder. What on earth did they do to the car while at the dealership that the numbers were 19? Were they drag racing a rogue pack of snails? :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well, at the dealer, it gets driven a couple of feet here and a couple of feet there, it never really has time or distance to get a good overall reading. When I picked my car up, it had less than three miles on the odometer.

Ryan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Definitely a big factor is low miles on the car. I have owned mine now for 2 months but only have less than 900 miles on it, 99% stop and go short commutes around town and i'm now at around 28 mpg lifetime average. Took a trip today down the highway and back (about 15 miles each way) and my average jumped up almost 1 mpg.
I'm predicting that i'll probably settle in around the low 30's with this car with the area that i drive in. I just don't do enough highway driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts