Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
The OEM part number is 735645489/735664419. It's not cheap, and I had to get it shipped from overseas, but works great.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
That’s a lot of money, for a device that doesn’t charge your phone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That’s a lot of money for a device that doesn’t charge your phone.
Yup. But there's nothing on the market that does that. I've considered hacking up my own to connect into the 12V power that's available there and exposing a USB-PD adapter, but that's a lot of work to avoid one wire and it wasn't super important to me.

Someone had been selling a 3D printed version for less that also doesn't charge the phone, but it mated to a part that is no longer sold. You could probably buy a Blue & Me GPS adapter and hack it up as a project, but again, the OEM thing mostly works as-is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased one of these from Weather Tech. It doesn’t block your dash board view. Can be utilize in any of our cars.

My phone fits in the cupholder, that's where I've been keeping it but, I'm tired of looking at the floor to see it. Besides, I use the cupholders to keep cups in. Which one did you buy?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts

Thats a 12volt pin connectors, that charges the Tom Tom. You going to have to convert something to USB. To use for the phone. Run a USB wire to it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you smark for the photos! I was able to import them into autocad and estimate some measurements. The inside view:

I had some 0.008" half hard shim stock I cut into 0.035 wide strips which I coated with solder to fashion contacts, here are the holes. I ballparked location and size from smark's photos, you can tell it's a combination of non-sense tech and arts and craft :)

It is a lot easier to place the holes, should anyone else be crazy enough to want to do this, by looking at where they fall on the inside.

I stuck-in my homemade contacts and poked it in the hole in the dash.

And nothing. Then I turned on the car's key and Viola! Some really hot 12V (14.something!).

The hideous guts. I suck with hot glue, it always makes things look a mess. I had to notch support ribs for the wires to pass through and it turns out (I didn't bother checking up front) the power supply needs an input cap, that's what the extra mess at the top is.

So, here I am, thinking I'm pretty cool with my new charging phone holder. I chose an expensive power supply that is okay with boiling water temperatures as I live in Texas. I once measured 185F on the dash of my old car. I thought, I should put a brisket or roast on my dash in the morning. I probably should have used a cheap, generic lighter outlet charger and just took the guts out and put them inside.

Problem was, when I plugged it in, it didn't work. It seems that plugging and unplugging was crushing the contacts against the phone holder, leaving them flat on the surface. This kept them from reaching the contacts inside the navi hole. So, it goes on the mill, I used a 3/32 end mill, which is the size of the holes. The material is around a tenth inch thick here so, I cut half way through.

With room for the contacts to spring in during insertion and spring back out once installed, it works! I put a little no-ox on the terminals as tin-lead contacts don't really go with the, no doubt, gold contacts in the dash and it should make them play nice for a good while. A close look at the battery symbol in the upper right hand corner shows the lighting bolt!

Once finished with this project I realized that I can probably find, and get home from, most anyplace forty miles away.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you smark for the photos! I was able to import them into autocad and estimate some measurements. The inside view:

View attachment 109555

I had some 0.008" half hard shim stock I cut into 0.035 wide strips which I coated with solder to fashion contacts, here are the holes. I ballparked location and size from smark's photos, you can tell it's a combination of non-sense tech and arts and craft :)

View attachment 109556

It is a lot easier to place the holes, should anyone else be crazy enough to want to do this, by looking at where they fall on the inside.

View attachment 109557

I stuck-in my homemade contacts and poked it in the hole in the dash.

View attachment 109558

And nothing. Then I turned on the car's key and Viola! Some really hot 12V (14.something!).

View attachment 109559

The hideous guts. I suck with hot glue, it always makes things look a mess. I had to notch support ribs for the wires to pass through and it turns out (I didn't bother checking up front) the power supply needs an input cap, that's what the extra mess at the top is.

View attachment 109560

So, here I am, thinking I'm pretty cool with my new charging phone holder. I chose an expensive power supply that is okay with boiling water temperatures as I live in Texas. I once measured 185F on the dash of my old car. I thought, I should put a brisket or roast on my dash in the morning. I probably should have used a cheap, generic lighter outlet charger and just took the guts out and put them inside.

View attachment 109561

Problem was, when I plugged it in, it didn't work. It seems that plugging and unplugging was crushing the contacts against the phone holder, leaving them flat on the surface. This kept them from reaching the contacts inside the navi hole. So, it goes on the mill, I used a 3/32 end mill, which is the size of the holes. The material is around a tenth inch thick here so, I cut half way through.

View attachment 109562

With room for the contacts to spring in during insertion and spring back out once installed, it works! I put a little no-ox on the terminals as tin-lead contacts don't really go with the, no doubt, gold contacts in the dash and it should make them play nice for a good while. A close look at the battery symbol in the upper right hand corner shows the lighting bolt!

View attachment 109563

Once finished with this project I realized that I can probably find, and get home from, most anyplace forty miles away.:rolleyes:
Hi Kevin, can you make one with an iPhone Lightning cable? This mount would fit into my Alfa Romeo Giulietta too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

I bought a Punto Evo '10 and I'm very happy coming from the old 500 (Cinquecento :)).
Just created an account to say congrats to @Kevin Jackson for the great idea and craftmanship. Impressive work!
I'm thinking about modifying my tomtom base in order to create a holder like Kevin's for my oneplus phone.

Edit: Since the tomtom is worthless nowdays, I'm about to start a project in which I will transform the original cradle into a generic phone holder. As the craddle comes with a 12/5V converter, I will try to keep the functionallity and install a type C plug somehow.
The steps I'm currently thinking of are:
1) Dissasamle the cradle and remove the fork that holds the gps in place.
2) Design and 3d print a new fork for smartphones.
3) Terminate the 5V original cable that runs through the cradle into a usb C plug.

A friend of mine is a 3d printing hobbyist so we will try together to design and print the fork.

If anyone has anything to add/suggest, please feel free to do so!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts