Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a mobile dent removal guy come out for the second time in a month. I park my car like a ding nazi making sure to think through all the possible ding scenarios to keep my car clean. But... I know from washing and waxing how fragile the sheet metal is on the 500. It feel like you can ding it if you look at it too hard. Any other people having the same issues?

·
Registered
765 Posts
One of the bad parts of a small car is that while you leave plenty of room on either side in a parking space...sometimes thats just leaving room for some dolt to swing his door ALLLLLL the way open...at full speed

·
Registered
343 Posts
heh. Want fragile sheet metal? Get a Mazda 3. Excellent cars, really good, but some hail and the roof is completely dented....

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Go look at a Kia or Hyundai. Nice cars but really thin metal too. I think the metal on the 500's is up there with Honda's. I must park way out in no mans land. Haven't had a door ding in some 15 years. My daughter and wife knows how to get them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I've managed to get some dings and scratches in my previous cars too, and I don't know that it was necessarily due to the thickness of the sheet metal.

On my old 93 Plymouth I once got a long irregular scratch/dent on the drivers side door just from hitting some debris that a car ahead of me kicked up off the roadway. And on my 05 Matrix I had a couple small nicks and dents, including one on my passenger side door that appeared to have been caused when the door opened a little too far and maybe hit someone's side mirror. (I don't remember this happening, so I hope I didn't damage anyone else's car at the time.)

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is I don't think either of those cars had particularly thin sheet metal either; dings and dents just seem to happen.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I was just comparing the metal of the 500 to our Honda Fit. It feel about the same thickness. Very light weight. Would have to take a gauge to really tell.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
All cars are using thinner metal these days to save weight. They use a higher strength steel.

The problem is, look at the door edges of the cars around you, many have a point, that will make a dent if it hits your car.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Something that amazes me is when I drop the hood on the car it makes a very solid/loud thud when closing which I think is good. Still blemish free after 5 months

·
Registered
250 Posts
thin metal? compared to what? 60´s manufactured cars?
i agreed with pinecone

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
to me the Fit is at best a 4/10 in the looks dept but hey everyone has different tastes

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It has a nice design/shape on the outside, but The Honda Fit Sucks.... Especially the paddle shifters.
Crap interior too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts