Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The rear window defroster/defogger in the 500c doesn't work until the top is fully closed.

Even if it's open 3 inches, no rear defrost/defogger

Thanks for the information. Didn't know that. I wonder if it works with the windows rolled down. Maybe the roof being completely closed completes some electrical connection required for it to work.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Likely it is just a safety implement that keeps the defrost from turning on while it is open and thus possibly being bunched up, that is pretty smart but I guess it doesn't know the difference in a little open and completely open, post more things I didn't know I was hoping for a list here...hehe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Likely a small switch that is open once the top leaves the headliner. While not exactly the same, Miata's have had this features since the Gen II cars hit the market in 1999 to keep users from heating up the top when it was folder over the glass rear window. Probably on most every glass rear windowed (w/defroster elements) softop on the market, I'd suspect.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
I didn't know my head lights shutoff by themselves, when you turn off the engine.
They turn back on when you restart the car. I keep forgetting to turn the light stark off, getting out of the car.

Didn't know the treaded screw dimple under inside window still, is for roof racks.

Didn't know they were treaded post under the rear of the car, for a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't know my head lights shutoff by themselves, when you turn off the engine.
They turn back on when you restart the car. I keep forgetting to turn the light stark off, getting out of the car.

Didn't know the treaded screw dimple under inside window still, is for roof racks.

Didn't know they were treaded post under the rear of the car, for a trailer hitch.
I've been wondering what the heck those screw holes in the door area were for! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I am used to automatic headlights so I was thinking about leaving them on all the time and letting the car shut them off now that I know (thanks smark) they turn off and it is not a problem, I noticed they shut off but wasn't sure if they are going to fair well if left on. Read about roof rack bolt holes but no one mentioned the underside of the mirrors yet, I didn't look under but someone else did and asked me what it is and I said I guess a hole. (I was inside and didn't bother getting out at the time). Also didn't know/look for a hitch connection or anything. This is good stuff, keep it coming!

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's wrong - many cars have one-touch close these days.
You're both right. However, to legally implement this feature the car must have sensors to detect resistance, so that it could automatically reopen. I suspect that this $20 part (probably less) wasn't implemented.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
(4) 17 inch CST wheels in boxes will fit in the back with the seats folded flat. Oh, and a child booster seat with a back will fit in the trunk (provided you have a tetris background and don't let your coworkers watch you while you're figuring out exactly how it goes. )

·
Registered
225 Posts
My GTI has one touch up and down for both passenger and driver. The anti pinch solves the legal issue.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.
On our 1st Gen new MINI the aftermarket has produced at least 2 different one up gizmos...no antipinch though so no good with kids around. It's a circuit board that attaches behind the center stack and viola! you have oneup... just don't get your hand in there. My kids are long gone so we have that.

I would expect it will be along if the 500 catches on big time.

1 - 20 of 736 Posts