Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Phil, thanks for that indepth review. Yes i see your point on getting the abarth, and while i have that " go big or go home" notion when it comes to it, i think a base model moght be good for us. My wife brought up a good point that, if we get it and keep it a few more years, our daughter can learn to drive it after. I think a non-turbo might be a bit more forgiving. Like most cars, but especially turbo's... frequent oil inspection/topups, and proper oil change intervals are key to proper operations. I think also stiffer suspension will suffer on our bad roads.
Fab

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
One thing i have to say, from the ads i've seen on used models, they seem to hold up well against rust...am i right? They use salt on our roads in winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think they hold up well. All underbody metal is coated with automotive enamel from factory to prohibit rust. Also since the car is so small you won’t bothered to stick the pressure washer underneath it for a few seconds just to clean off the road grime,tar, and salt that might find its way there.

To best decide your dilemma, I would try and test drive both the abarth and non turbo models. While the pop may have less potential mechanical issues, if you don’t drive the car like you stole it (me), then your abarth likely won’t run into the problems I did. Gaskets are gaskets across every fiat. If one goes bad on an abarth, it’s the same material as any other fiat made gasket and will go bad just as fast (so long as it’s subject to the same weather and road conditions) as it would on any other model. What I’m saying is the common problems on the abarth are simply common problems across most all fiats.

so why not have a turbo, a little more power, a fun exhaust note, and better driving experience? Might turn your daughter into a wrencher too. After all, you’re looking for a fun summer car. The abarth is exactly that.

I just don’t want to see someone get in a new pop or 500 sport and then immediately be unimpressed by its limits. Perhaps I’m biased, because I drive an abarth. haha.

Best of luck in your search Fab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey just went through the same process. Girlfriend needed a car and really wanted a convertible. She literally just drives around town to her work and for shopping so was looking for something small and cheap(ish). Came across the Fiat 500c because it was the cheapest convertible and she really liked the look of it. I've always loved the look (and of course the exhaust) of the Abarths so it put the car on my radar.

My mechanics are Italian so of course they love Fiat (and Ferrari) and one of their customers was selling theirs so we knew the service history. Based on what they've said and my research the conclusion I've come to is that they're not the most reliable, but when something breaks its easy to get a replacement part, and the cars are easy/cheap to work on. A good thing for a used car.

The other big advantage the Fiat has is there's an online community of fans of the car, which makes it very easy to find guides and DIY videos. I was also very impressed by the car when I went on a test drive, I'm 6'3" and I fit comfortably in it.. The engine is tiny but it has enough low end torque to zip around town with. Went up to 130km/h on the highway on a windy day and didn't feel unsafe by any means, so bought it.

My biggest hesitation is that the area I live in everyone drives pickup trucks and SUV's, and I worry how it would fare against one in an accident. All the cars we were looking at were fairly small so its not specific against the Fiat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ecsta, thanks for the reply. What province are you in? Are your roads pretty smooth?
Our roads are terrible.
The turbo does seem fun, but i think in terms of simplicity, the n/a version might be good.
I wonder..if it's the 4 of us in the car (non turbo), will it be quite slow?
Fab

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey just went through the same process. Girlfriend needed a car and really wanted a convertible. She literally just drives around town to her work and for shopping so was looking for something small and cheap(ish). Came across the Fiat 500c because it was the cheapest convertible and she really liked the look of it. I've always loved the look (and of course the exhaust) of the Abarths so it put the car on my radar.

My mechanics are Italian so of course they love Fiat (and Ferrari) and one of their customers was selling theirs so we knew the service history. Based on what they've said and my research the conclusion I've come to is that they're not the most reliable, but when something breaks its easy to get a replacement part, and the cars are easy/cheap to work on. A good thing for a used car.

The other big advantage the Fiat has is there's an online community of fans of the car, which makes it very easy to find guides and DIY videos. I was also very impressed by the car when I went on a test drive, I'm 6'3" and I fit comfortably in it.. The engine is tiny but it has enough low end torque to zip around town with. Went up to 130km/h on the highway on a windy day and didn't feel unsafe by any means, so bought it.

My biggest hesitation is that the area I live in everyone drives pickup trucks and SUV's, and I worry how it would fare against one in an accident. All the cars we were looking at were fairly small so its not specific against the Fiat.
If you get hit in the Fiat you become kinda like an indestructible basketball with a full roll cage and 7 air bags. The car gets totaled and you probably walk (yes walk) away. It had a 5 star crash safety rating when it came out. Your results may vary. The guy in the SUV/truck flips over (high center of gravity) and maybe dies cause he’s feeling totally safe in his big rig and doesn’t wear a seat belt and gets ejected. Do a search here for crashed Fiat 500s.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ecsta, thanks for the reply. What province are you in? Are your roads pretty smooth?
Our roads are terrible.
The turbo does seem fun, but i think in terms of simplicity, the n/a version might be good.
I wonder..if it's the 4 of us in the car (non turbo), will it be quite slow?
Fab
Hi Fab, I'm in Southern Ontario (Niagara region), but used to live in the GTA (with horrible roads). I also went n/a just because that's what my mechanic had. If I was going to go turbo, I'd probably try to get an Abarth haha but that's just me.

If you get hit in the Fiat you become kinda like an indestructible basketball with a full roll cage and 7 air bags. The car gets totaled and you probably walk (yes walk) away. It had a 5 star crash safety rating when it came out. Your results may vary. The guy in the SUV/truck flips over (high center of gravity) and maybe dies cause he’s feeling totally safe in his big rig and doesn’t wear a seat belt and gets ejected. Do a search here for crashed Fiat 500s.
I didn't feel unsafe at all while driving it and I ended up buying it, but regardless of ratings a small car vs a large heavy truck will not fare well. Also that 5 star test score is a little misleading, because it scored 5 stars when it was released, but they revised the model in 2017 to be more difficult so now it would only get 3 stars if you're going to compare it to other more modern vehicles. The small frontal overlap is a very difficult test to score well on and it doesn't do well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ecsta, the Niagra area is very nice...good wine. The peaches from there are amazing! Ok enough food and wine talk..haha
How do you like your n/a model? Do you find yourself wishing for more power, or is it pretty good? Any other comments on your car? Thanks
Fab

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Curious... have any of you installed a cold air intake on your 500's? I find on most cars, the air boxes are pretty well designed to bring in cold air straight into throttle body. Was looking at a video of the whole air intake (air box design) and looks not so direct if you ask me. Am i right?
Fab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ecsta, the Niagra area is very nice...good wine. The peaches from there are amazing! Ok enough food and wine talk..haha
How do you like your n/a model? Do you find yourself wishing for more power, or is it pretty good? Any other comments on your car? Thanks
Fab
Curious... have any of you installed a cold air intake on your 500's? I find on most cars, the air boxes are pretty well designed to bring in cold air straight into throttle body. Was looking at a video of the whole air intake (air box design) and looks not so direct if you ask me. Am i right?
Fab
I actually just moved out here 2 months ago, and haven't really done much exploring yet. It's currently at the mechanic getting the arm rest and a couple other minor cosmetic bits fixed before I pick it up, so I haven't driven it other than the test drive. Can't really comment much on it until after I've driven it more.

It's going to be our second car pretty much for my girlfriend to drive around town. I daily drive a Golf R, so I can go fast in that when I want to haha. Probably best to test drive the n/a and turbo models to see how you feel about the performance difference. I wasn't shopping for something sporty, GF just cared about getting a convertible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello gang, how goes it? Fabs here.
I've been thinking of getting a summer/fun car. I thought about the 500.
We have 2 small kids and think they will fit ok in the back.
I was gonna look at the base automatic model, but can also do manual. Is the auto really slow? Or ok?
I also saw the turbo model (non-Abarth).
Are these reliable engines? Or better to stick with base model?
Any years that are better? I was thinking 2012 and up.
Thanks
Fab
Hello Fab, I haven’t read thru all the comments yet but just wanted to add my two cents’ worth. I have a 2015 Fiat 500 Pop and she hasn’t had any problems. Since Fiat dealerships are far and few between, I take her to a shop that works on foreign cars only and they have always done right by her. My only complaint is that I didn’t know the base model I bought doesn’t have a spare tire. If I had known that in advance, I would have thought twice before buying this car. Mine has a manual transmission and is plenty zippy enough on highways. Just had the windshield replaced along with upgraded curved wipers that work great! As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I’m looking forward to getting a hitch receiver installed. Happy 5th Birthday to my Fiat and Merry Christmas to me! Happy Driving!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Fab, I haven’t read thru all the comments yet but just wanted to add my two cents’ worth. I have a 2015 Fiat 500 Pop and she hasn’t had any problems. Since Fiat dealerships are far and few between, I take her to a shop that works on foreign cars only and they have always done right by her. My only complaint is that I didn’t know the base model I bought doesn’t have a spare tire. If I had known that in advance, I would have thought twice before buying this car. Mine has a manual transmission and is plenty zippy enough on highways. Just had the windshield replaced along with upgraded curved wipers that work great! As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I’m looking forward to getting a hitch receiver installed. Happy 5th Birthday to my Fiat and Merry Christmas to me! Happy Driving!
I bought a spare wheel for 80 bucks on tire rack, next time i needed tires i kept the best one and had it put on the wheel,wrapped it in an old blanket and tossed in the back. Got a breaker bar with lug wrench for 20 bucks on amazon. works for me.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts