Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is FUN. Not as in "it's fun, but it could be better if...". It's just FUN!

I don't care it's not the Abarth. I don't care if it's a touch too high. I don't care it has plastic seats. I don't care it's made by Chrysler.

This is one of the precious few cars I've ever owned that I can say - it's just A BLAST to drive.

I think I wrote about this before - I traded my Volvo C30 T5 for this little car. My C30 was lightly tuned - to 260 HP, with stiffer sway bars, custom 18" wheels, better tires, aluminum interior, etc. Not a slouch, but nothing really fancy- and it was BORING. The steering wheel looked straight out of a 1970's car, and the interior design was out of my grandpa's closet. It nose dived when I braked. It rolled like a beached whale, even with the upgraded suspension. It felt harsh anywhere except for the smoothest roads. Something sounded as if it ws going to break if I took on-ramps too fast (dealership said "every car does that"). It seemed to shout at me "slow down, slow the **** down now, junior! Drive safely! You dumb kid, don't do a burnout or else I'll turn on TC!" everytime I tried to have fun.

The Fiat? It's just like a little go kart that's always screaming "FASTER! GO FASTERFASTERFASTERFASTER! Comeon comeon comeon!" It just begs to be revved, tossed into corners, to raise the stereo volume, open up the sunroof and go YAY! It's SO COOL. It drives perfectly well for a little city car, and loves corners. The steering is perfectly weighted. The steering wheel is the right size. Every control is within reach. The stereo is very capable. The auto transmission is one of the best I've ever tried. The stock wheels are pretty cool (not something I can say about many cars). The size is perfect for my daily errands. Need I go on?

I always thought I'd buy the car, and sell it to my mom so I could get an Abarth or something else. Now, I'm not so sure. Why mess with perfection?

I'm in love.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When my wife and I drove it we were laughing the entire time...I went into a parking lot and went round and round in circles, both of us cracking up the whole time.

It was like we escaped from an amusement park with one of the car rides that had a real motor in it. The turning radius is a scream.

I was sold and ordered my cabrio that very day. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
People (and myself still) freak out whenever I pull a u-turn. They are so much fun. And I had no idea how convenient a small turning radius was around the city until I got the 500. I swapped the 500 for my buddy's Cooper S for the weekend and kept cursing at all the 3-point-turns I had to make.

Also, my local autocross sometimes puts a lone cone at one end of the course where you have to do a complete 180 around it. The 500 just shines in this turn :cool:

·
Registered
614 Posts
People (and myself still) freak out whenever I pull a u-turn. They are so much fun. And I had no idea how convenient a small turning radius was around the city until I got the 500. I swapped the 500 for my buddy's Cooper S for the weekend and kept cursing at all the 3-point-turns I had to make.

Also, my local autocross sometimes puts a lone cone at one end of the course where you have to do a complete 180 around it. The 500 just shines in this turn :cool:
Yep, the 500 "literally" runs circles around the competition. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn't agree more! Picked up mine last Saturday, and in these three days I've been driving with a smile more time than previously with any other car!
I mean, I don't care about traffic, don't care about angry drivers, don't care to go slow or fast depending on the mood, love to hear my music, take the roof down, feel the people staring at the car... I just love it!
I'm getting so much more fun and pleasure of being on this little car than I used to have (on my previous A1 and my Lancer). I mean, the A1 was a great ride, but it was all german, all right, all precise. I love how this one drives, and every single time I look around, I just can't help it, I smile.

I love this feeling!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is one of the precious few cars I've ever owned that I can say - it's just A BLAST to drive. I traded my Volvo C30 T5 for this little car. I'm in love.
I find these words to be very encouraging. I also remember reading here about someone who traded his Honda S-2000 for one of these 500's. The fact is that you can only enjoy a proper high-powered car in very small doses. The rest of the time, it lives out of its intended range, leading to driver frustration. Part of what makes a car like the Fiat 500 so enjoyable is that it's in its groove 90% of the time. Here's my upcoming dilemma: I've always had newer daily drivers (one for me and one for my wife), plus a fun car of some kind. Currently, the fun car is a nice, low-mileage Porsche 944 Turbo. The Porsche is really only in its element at illegal speeds. The rest of the time, it's more of a chore to drive since it is really tuned for high-speed driving. Soon, I have to make a decision. My daughter is getting my driver when she begins college. Since I really don't want to increase the size of my fleet, I either have to use the Porsche for daily driving or sell it and get something that will get me around and be fun at the same time. That's where the 500 comes in.

So my question; will i find the same satisfaction from the Fiat 500 as the original poster did? I really like the Porsche for what it is but the good times are few and far between. Can daily-driving one of these Fiats make me not look back? I already have one all picked-out. I want to feel like this guy does.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I find these words to be very encouraging. I also remember reading here about someone who traded his Honda S-2000 for one of these 500's. The fact is that you can only enjoy a proper high-powered car in very small doses. The rest of the time, it lives out of its intended range, leading to driver frustration. Part of what makes a car like the Fiat 500 so enjoyable is that it's in its groove 90% of the time. Here's my upcoming dilemma: I've always had newer daily drivers (one for me and one for my wife), plus a fun car of some kind. Currently, the fun car is a nice, low-mileage Porsche 944 Turbo. The Porsche is really only in its element at illegal speeds. The rest of the time, it's more of a chore to drive since it is really tuned for high-speed driving. Soon, I have to make a decision. My daughter is getting my driver when she begins college. Since I really don't want to increase the size of my fleet, I either have to use the Porsche for daily driving or sell it and get something that will get me around and be fun at the same time. That's where the 500 comes in.

So my question; will i find the same satisfaction from the Fiat 500 as the original poster did? I really like the Porsche for what it is but the good times are few and far between. Can daily-driving one of these Fiats make me not look back? I already have one all picked-out. I want to feel like this guy does.
Go test drive one and report back. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its a long way performance-wise from a Porsche turbo to a FIAT 500. That being said, the FIAT is a really pleasant daily driver that can rip up the turns and curves when you get the urge. I also have a 300cSRT8 and I know what you mean about being a chore to drive-which is why these days it stays home in favor of the FIAT. If power is a factor, then you should wait for the Abarth, or consider a MINI Cooper S JCW if it must be now.

Like the man says, go test drive one. Make sure they let you have lots of time behind the wheel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im selling my 430hp 2011 mustang gt, to get one of these, i will have little to no payment and a car that i cab DRIVE, the mustang spends most of its time un 4k rpm...its a big car and feels like it. I ordered a sport with a sunroof, im 6'1 or so and its a tight fit...the 500 reminds me of my 56 vw ragtop...or like driving a 80's gti...

·
Registered
507 Posts
big or little guy?

I'm selling my 430 hp 2011 Mustang gt, to get one of these, i will have little to no payment and a car that i cab DRIVE, the mustang spends most of its time un 4k rpm...its a big car and feels like it. I ordered a sport with a sunroof, im 6'1 or so and its a tight fit...the 500 reminds me of my 56 VW ragtop...or like driving a 80's gti...
Are you a big or little guy? :confused: Being a 6' tall and weighing 333 lbs, I am interesting how big you are since you say it is a tight fit. :cool:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Im selling my 430hp 2011 mustang gt, to get one of these, i will have little to no payment and a car that i cab DRIVE, the mustang spends most of its time un 4k rpm...its a big car and feels like it. I ordered a sport with a sunroof, im 6'1 or so and its a tight fit...the 500 reminds me of my 56 vw ragtop...or like driving a 80's gti...
6'3" here and still ordered it w/sunroof, gotta start telling the lady that cuts my hair to take a little more of the top!:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im 6'1 ish. 230lbs, working on gettin below 200...;). I have about an inch in normal seating position. If i shift to the left about 1/2. The car is on order i can still switch it but i think the sunroof is nice..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts