·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Runs great mechanical, except for;
- Steering wheel out of alignment
- Rear spoiler off-center
- Left rocker cover peeling off
- Paint flaking off rear bumper where it contacts the sheetmetal in multiple places
- Several deep paint chips had been touched up
- Paint rubbed off corners of plastic pieces in several spots
- Paint scraped off sheetmetal above the right tail light.
- Scratch on the shift gate and ESC button
- Hole in dash pad bigger than the vent

Dealership doesn't seem to be in any hurry to call me back...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed the steering wheel right away of course, and brought it up, but I was two hours away and they were closing. Not a problem since there is a dealer near me. Same with the shift gate, no parts in stock so they'd address it in a few days.

The other stuff slowly popped up, I'd notice one thing, look more closely and spot something else. It's all on the edges and corners of panels, not something you'd easily spot unless you were looking closely, until it starts to rust in a couple years because there is no paint there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I came across a number of 500's on the lot with chipped paint, globs of tape residue, and cracks in various parts. I sat in one of the a Sport models and when I adjusted the car seat found french fries underneath it! Buyer beware indeed. Some of those cars have been sitting for a while and taking all kinds of abuse.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think I had to inspect it that close, but good advice for the future. I don't have a lift so getting a look at the underside could be tricky. :rolleyes:

Just got a call back from the salesman; the dealer in Rochester (where I bought the car, 2 hours away) wants to coordinate with the dealer in my city, we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
My spoilers off to. Somebody got to be sleeping who ever puts on the spoilers. I put that down on my Chrysler survey they sent me. No paint issues. Looks like transport rock chips, that have been touched up in someplaces. Try and slide the defroster vent over a little. Someone scratched up you shifter plate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Before I drove off the Studio lot, I spent about a hour going over the car with a fine tooth comb and found absolutely no imperfections or issues. There was not a scratch on it and after driving it for alomst 4,000 miles it still looks like it did the day I picked it up. So sorry to hear about all of your issues. If it was me I would not leave the Studio until they corrected all of your problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've learned two lessons this week. One, if the girl giving you eyes from across the bar has an Adam's apple, walk away, and two, always inspect your new car very closely.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The gap you noted on the corner of the vent looks like it is supposed to be there so a tech can gain access. The one you picture looks a tad larger than I noticed on mine.

As for the other defects, your dealer really needs to do a better job of prepping their cars for delivery. No excuse for those defects.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is no way this came out of the factory like this with the exception og the steering wheel which is common. Looks to me like it got damaged in transit and might have been quicky "repaired". I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that the paint was not like this when you picked it up. I can see one overlooking the spoiler issue because you were blinded by excitement.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I went to our grand opening event tonight at our Fiat 500 dealer. Showed the service tech, some of my small issues I had with my car. He now has a really good understanding of my problems, and promises to look into them. I would suggest to you. Get to know your tech and service writer. Your issues will be better taken car of. The car does have a great warranty.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Was the car a demo? Also do you know how to look for tape lines?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
75 Posts
You have the advantage - don't be doubtful of that. You haven't the need to be their buddy - and at the same time, you can still be civil, but not worried about how they'll respond. You are right, they are wrong. Period. Type up your punch list, with pictures, make a copy to Fiat - (send that) and then give them the same document with your punch list - and tell them, do it or you're going to report them to the local news channel - and have the news channel, (consumer reporter) get ahold of your story. Bad press isn't what that dealership will want - and make clear you will do it. Also, ask for more - tell them you want a One-Year extension of your factory warranty for "hardship" and being really put out. The pen is mightier than the sword, always has been and always will be. Just get it done.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree that some of the paint issues look to have occurred in transit. The mis-aligned spoiler would likely be something that should have been caught at the factory.

I think that the advice to inspect a new car at delivery is good advice; I admit I've never done so, but I will take time to do it from now on.

That said, I don't think 3DS was negligent if he did not inspect his car like a border security guard. He shouldn't have to do that. That should be what dealer prep is for. I accept that being critical before roaring off in your new car is the wise path, but I wouldn't be abusing him if he didn't. His car seems to have some factory issues and some dealer issues. I hope the dealer steps up and takes his situation seriously.

Finally, I would be persistent but calm and reasonable. Getting the sales and service people on your side will likely serve you better in the long run than going in screaming threats.

I really hope you get good service on these issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had my windows tinted yesterday. For the first time I "very carefully" inspected the entire exterior. Found 2 tiny chips in the paint on the passenger side. Went to the dealer this morning. They fixed them immediately, no questions asked and then gave me the small jar of touch-up paint, worth $20.00. Can't ask for any better treatment.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I very much want this car to be a success so please hold Fiat's feet to the fire. I don't think anyone should have to deal with all of these issues right from the studio. This is really disturbing. I would ask for a new car..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.