Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so we all know the oil changes are free for three years.

I asked and they want you wait until 8K for the first one! I can't imagine waiting that long on the very first one. I'm o.k. with an 8K interval, even 10, because of synthetic oil.

But I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to go in early and pay for the first change. I have a funny feeling they will charge you extra for a "free" change with synthetic, anyway. Thoughts on this, anybody?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same reasoning has gone around on the Benz forums, where the interval is even longer (though there are 8 quarts in that car). My opinion is: if shorter intervals were really necessary, it would be in their best interest to have them be shorter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I saw somewhere that the interval on the European version was 18,000 miles. It may have been KM's which would have put it at 11,000 miles.

As my friend from Great Britain will tell you, "You Yanks change you oil way too often." This from a guy with a Miata that changes his oil religiously every 25,000 miles. I had lunch with him this week and his car is purring along with 275,000 miles on it. Maybe we are crazy.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
with todays synthetics, IMO 7,500 to 10,000 is acceptable.

BUT if you really want to change it at 1,000......for your OWN piece of mind, then go ahead and do so, although I wouldn't expect FIAT to pick up the bill. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an Amsoil and Motul Dealer and an avid Subie enthusiast and racers, we've seen great blackstone lab reports on Amsoil and Motul at the 7-10k range with an extended life oil filter come back excellent. This is on Turboed H4 cars with 300hp. So 8k-10k intervals on these cars isn't out of the question.

-mike

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: [email protected] | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't care about the interval between changes. All I asked about is how many miles Before The First Change. I feel like a brand new engine would shed more metal shavings initially.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I work for Mercedes-Benz. For many of the cars, the first oil change is around 20,000km (12,xxx miles)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed, 3k for my first and gradually move towards the book requirements during the first year. Depends on how many metal shavings I find on the magnet too..

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I don't care about the interval between changes. All I asked about is how many miles Before The First Change. I feel like a brand new engine would shed more metal shavings initially.
again, that's up to you. for YOUR peace of mind, do it. but if the FIAT engineers and FIAT management say you can go 8,000 miles on the first change.....well, I don't think I know more than they do, so I'll change it at 8,000.

think about it this way: the 500 comes with a pretty good warranty. if the engineers thought for one minute that changing the oil at 1,000 miles would save the engine wear and tear and therefore save the company money in warranty repairs during the first 4 years/50,000 miles, woudn't you think they would ante up the $$ to cover a change at 1,000 miles? just my thought anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, finally getting some considered answers.

I bought 3 quarts of fully synthetic 5w30 oil. I plan to drop it myself when I observe darkening/greying of the oil on the dipstick. Hope there is room for my torque wrench under there, will leave in the filter, and I can sleep better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I work in the machine tool industry, doing alot of work in the automotive parts machining area, with engine blocks and heads being something that consumes most of my time. Most of the machining line work that my employer does for these types of parts is part of an overall integrated manufacturing system, which typically includes not only the machining and material handling sides, but also parts washing leading to assembly. While we don't make parts washers themselves, we do sometimes act as the prime contractor for a line, and supply the washers as part of the overall system. That said, all OEM's have very tight cleanliness specifications for the parts after they make their way through the parts washer, where basically the "test parts" (to determine system effectiveness initially, then monitor it later on in full scale production) are pulled from the line, and analyzed in depth for residual "stuff". In additional, all oil and coolant passages are leak / flow tested, to ensure that they are working as planned (this is done on all parts post machining and post washing). While things can happen that may allow a dirty block or head, it is (statistically speaking) a very rare occurance. Given my years of exposure to the systems put into place (and having seen GM, Honda, Ford, and Chrysler lines up close), I would not be in a huge rush to do the first oil change at an interval sooner that you plan to employ for long term use. Furthermore, I would NOT recommend changing to a full synthetic prior to a reasonable break in period, as even with the current plateau honing techniques used to finish the cylinder bores, there is still a level of friction required between the rings and the bores to do that last, albeit very minor "fit" of one component to the other. This subject is akin to black magic / voodoo, with many many opinions, theories, etc. so please take this as just one guys opinion, but with a bit of info behind it regarding the overall major engine component manufacturing processes in place "today".

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now seeing some really good technical replies! My oil still looks pretty clean at 1600 miles. Nevertheless, I will get the oil changed as soon as possible.

I usually do this with my new cars and make them last sixteen years one way or another (they get a bit ragged towards the end, but not the engine). On sites like this, I find my cars don't have many of the problems cited, or will have the problem tens of thousands of miles later.

Einy's technical analysis carries a lot of weight. I have been informally asking people that work in a parts stores, tire stores, or auto shop. Put the question to them, if you bought a new car, how long would you wait before changing the oil The First Time? None of them would wait eight thousand so far. If they did, I would ask them, how long do your cars last?

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news - either way is o.k.

I noticed a lot of page views. Good news for all. I actually discussed the issue with a technician at my local facility. Fiat says they dismantled engines to check for unusual wear during the first 8k miles, and found none. So go ahead drive, enjoy, just make sure you don't delay that first scheduled oil change.

I decided on going in early. They treated me royally! I supplied the oil (4 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 Full Synthetic.) I offered to pay, since I requested the change early, but they insisted on making it a free visit! It probably helped that I supplied the oil. The service writer said that specific oil is the only kind they use in Viper sports cars they service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts