Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a 2014 Fiat 500L, just did breaks and rotors in the front a week ago. Today a thumping sound, like hitting a road reflector, is coming from front, front center/passenger side.
Took both wheels back off, no play in hub, both tie rods appeared to be moving like they should, no play in the bearing area.
Any ideas? Thanks

· Registered
1,988 Posts
So that's something rotational. I take it that you thoroughly inspected the drive shaft? There's nothing stuck on it (like a debris or anything), right? I know this sounds stupid, but swap the tires, and see if the noise follows the tire. Rotational thumping noise can be many things but tread separation is one of the classic cases.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
You check the tire tread for a foreign object?

· Registered
159 Posts
To make sure we understand correctly, with front end lifted and wheels off, car was put in drive and you were able to hear the same thumping as the hubs were spinning, correct?
That makes me circle around a compromised CV joint boot - you see any tears or slices in any of the boots? Grease leaking out?
Otherwise you’re in the right ballpark on the transaxle, but that gets complicated.
Also, anything on the inner surface of the rotors? I’m wondering if something got stuck and it’s whacking agains the splash shield as it rotates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts