Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello My question is my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop was leaking oil the mechanic said I need a "crankshaft seal", which came looking like a little metal house w/circle in it. After taking off the tire he showed me where the leak was coming from. Then said I am going to need to replace the "timing belt" (no charge, because he has to go in there), take that stuff out anyway & it was saturated in oil, it may pop causing more problems most likely in the engine. Sadly, The oil spread all over the place under there. Do you agree with crank shaft seal & timing belt?

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Hello My question is my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop was leaking oil the mechanic said I need a "crankshaft seal", which came looking like a little metal house w/circle in it. After taking off the tire he showed me where the leak was coming from. Then said I am going to need to replace the "timing belt" (no charge, because he has to go in there), take that stuff out anyway & it was saturated in oil, it may pop causing more problems most likely in the engine. Sadly, The oil spread all over the place under there. Do you agree with crank shaft seal & timing belt?
The crankshaft seal is at one end of the engine. The timing belt is at the other. I’m not too sure how they relate. When you change the timing belt, you change the belt idler‘s to, and the water pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smark, are you saying the crankshaft is only sealed on one end? This would make me wonder, how the crankshaft pressures are sealed with only one seal.

Cynical

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to dispute but your technician is correct. There are oil seals at both ends of the engine and when the one in the front leaks, it gets oil on the timing belt. If your timing belt breaks, it bends all the intake valves and results in a very $$ repair

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Sorry to dispute but your technician is correct. There are oil seals at both ends of the engine and when the one in the front leaks, it gets oil on the timing belt. If your timing belt breaks, it bends all the intake valves and results in a very $$ repair
When replacing the timing belt, the water pump, and the belt idlers. There is no need to replace the front seal. I’ve replaced many over the years. I’ve never run into any of front seals leaking. The rear main seal, on early 500’s. Especially manual transmission cars. The seals have been known to leak.

If a timing belt breaks on a interference engine valve train. The valves hit the pistons, bending them . I’ve only had one car that happen to. A Honda Predule. Honda at the time recommend replacing the timing belt, every 60K miles. It occurred around 50K,

I believe Fiat recommends, over 150k mile, or every 7 years. What ever come first. You’d have to look it up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my new 2012 rear engine seal replaced under warranty. They used a grey silicone that the mechanic said would solve the oil leak. It did so. Later models probably had this done at the factory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my new 2012 rear engine seal replaced under warranty. They used a grey silicone that the mechanic said would solve the oil leak. It did so. Later models probably had this done at the factory.
I doubt that the factory uses silicone sealant in place of an actual lipped seal. I think the mechanic fixed the problem for now but got paid for a seal replacement by the factory. I would have asked to see the factory authorization for
the use of a silicone seal instead of a factory seal.

Cynical

·
Registered
4 Posts
I doubt that the factory uses silicone sealant in place of an actual lipped seal. I think the mechanic fixed the problem for now but got paid for a seal replacement by the factory. I would have asked to see the factory authorization for
the use of a silicone seal instead of a factory seal.

Cynical
It was maybe 60,000 miles and 7 years ago. I think I cornered him outside the dealership workshop area and he said put on a better seal. I think he said or showed me some grey silicone sealant. Well - whatever he did or used the burning oil smell stopped and it never leaked again. My problem now is 88,000 miles and nine years on a timing belt. The former dealer in Lancaster, Ca. gave me a written estimate for replacement of Timing Belt, Auxiliary Belt, Water Pump and the two belt adjusters at $3380.09. I am serious. And
Kelly Bluebook says as a trade in its maybe $4,000-ish

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was maybe 60,000 miles and 7 years ago. I think I cornered him outside the dealership workshop area and he said put on a better seal. I think he said or showed me some grey silicone sealant. Well - whatever he did or used the burning oil smell stopped and it never leaked again. My problem now is 88,000 miles and nine years on a timing belt. The former dealer in Lancaster, Ca. gave me a written estimate for replacement of Timing Belt, Auxiliary Belt, Water Pump and the two belt adjusters at $3380.09. I am serious. And View attachment 109687 Kelly Bluebook says as a trade in its maybe $4,000-ish
I say run it until it drops. Or trade it in on something newer. I will never put money into a losing situation. If you repair the car it is still only worth $4000.00 and you can not recover any portion of your repair costs.
Let me know how this works out.

Cynical

·
Registered
894 Posts
If your belt "went" and broke then valves would have hit the piston tops and your engine is pretty much totaled. This is an interference engine like most modern cars.

Or did the mechanic just say it's worn and cracked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had my 2012 leaking rear seal replaced under warranty and the mechanic showed me the grey silicon he used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts