Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing the FIAT 500 app and discovered no mention of a t-belt service untill around 250,000km. This seems like a very long time. Any one have any info to confirm. I know we are all a long ways from this service but I found the huge interval a bit odd.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've seen inspection of timing belt @ 37000 miles and replacement @ 75k. I don't recall where...but those numbers in stuck in my head for some reason. Some Fiat's (the diesel I think) have chains.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, the maintenance schedule states 247k kilometers or 153k miles for t-belt replacement.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also calls for spark plugs every 32,000 miles. I thought most new cars used platinum and were good for at least 60k miles.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I wonder what the labor would be when its replaced? the List Price of the Timing Belt (PN 4892694AB) is ONLY $30.20. THAT part sounds good to me! :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Also calls for spark plugs every 32,000 miles. I thought most new cars used platinum and were good for at least 60k miles.
....and no, judging by the part number (PN SP070500AA) and the price (List Price of only $6.20ea), the plugs are NOT "Platinum". our "Platinum" plugs usually run around $11-12.00ea.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
....and no, judging by the part number (PN SP070500AA) and the price (List Price of only $6.20ea), the plugs are NOT "Platinum". our "Platinum" plugs usually run around $11-12.00ea.
That brings home how LONG it's been since I changed plugs on my own engine. I think they were still around ninety-eight cents each back in the day, as they say.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I wonder what the labor would be when its replaced? the List Price of the Timing Belt (PN 4892694AB) is ONLY $30.20. THAT part sounds good to me! :)
Wellllll, I tried to find out, but right now if the belt fails (or needs replacement) Fiat will replace the whole engine...so there isn't a process with labor rate to access, yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wellllll, I tried to find out, but right now if the belt fails (or needs replacement) Fiat will replace the whole engine...so there isn't a process with labor rate to access, yet.
soooo-that would indicate these are an "interference" engine-if out of time, the valves smash into the piston tops...Makes the timing belt attention much more crucial!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
soooo-that would indicate these are an "interference" engine-if out of time, the valves smash into the piston tops...Makes the timing belt attention much more crucial!
They are indeed an interference engine, however, the reason Fiat is replacing the engine is the same used in replacing the engine in two other Fiats that developed leaking head gaskets; Fiat wants to autopsy the offending engines to determine what exactly failed and develop procedures that will prevent future occurences.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try every 30,000 miles for my RX-8! Plus the MSRP in Canada for the plugs from the dealer is over $200.
Of course, that car is an outlier in every respect.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would expect a Fiat TSB within about 2-3 years revising the timing belt schedule to something closer to 80K miles.

No way you are gonna convince me that the belts will last much past 100K safely.

All I can think of is the Chevy Aveo - the scheduled interval WAS 90K... then they shortened it to 60K... and we still see them breaking in less than 40K.
Not saying the Fiat will fail that fast, just that there is no way they will last past 100K

·
Registered
116 Posts
nah... Chrysler LOVES their copper plugs. Until 2009 the Hemi engines used coppers.

Most cars now use Iridium from the factory to get that magical "100K before first scheduled maintenance" selling point...
(Iridium is cool to me: not naturally occurring on Earth and slightly radioactive... and one of the hardest metals known to man)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Is the 1.4 multi-air engine an interference design (valves hit piston when timing belt breaks) or non-interference design (valves and pistons never touch)?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
nah... Chrysler LOVES their copper plugs. Until 2009 the Hemi engines used coppers.

Most cars now use Iridium from the factory to get that magical "100K before first scheduled maintenance" selling point...
(Iridium is cool to me: not naturally occurring on Earth and slightly radioactive... and one of the hardest metals known to man)
Yes, and when you have an SRT8 you have 16 of them. Nothing better than a $500 plug change.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
I was looking on my iPhone fiat app, under Maintenance Schedules. There's nothing on the milage schedules, about replacing the timing belt.

You sure clean, and lube sun roof track a lot!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts