Fiat 500 Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover nixed
45 Posts
I couldn’t agree more. Let’s hope the minds at Stellantis consider carefully before pulling the plug on Fiat here. The new 500e looks great and I think it could do well here with proper promotion and support.

The 12Ah is probably more than I need, but I keep dreaming this Covid nightmare will end and I’ll be able to take a nice long vacation again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
There's also always the option of simply disconnecting it when you KNOW it's going to be parked unplugged for a while, although of course that deactivates the alarm.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Still going strong after 13 months. 12.7V after parking unplugged 18 hours with alarm off.

4.4Lb $35 6Ah MightyMax gel.

Click to enlarge & see the date top center & voltage bottom right:
Motor vehicle Computer hardware Gas Auto part Vehicle door

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
42 Posts
I just replaced my 12v today as my500e app was reporting it right at 12v this morning. I considered going the tiny battery route, but the wicked cold winters in Indiana make me a bit nervous when it comes to trying to changing out something as critical as the 12v battery. In the end I opted for a standard replacement with a 3 year warranty. I'm just not ballsy enough to follow in ETS's footsteps.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I'm not ballsy either: I carried the giant OEM battery behind the passenger seat!
(until I got comfortable with the small one)

I also have a little $50 jumpstarter:
Input device Font Peripheral Gadget Camera accessory

Every 500e needs that anyway, once the 12V is 23 months old, since after that it can die without warning unless you monitor it with a voltage gauge:
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Motor vehicle

If I had to do it ALL over again, including getting the required jumpstarter & gauge, I'd be very strongly tempted to get a 1.3Lb $130 Antigravity ATZ7 li-ion:
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Peripheral Camera accessory Font

It has a built-in jumpstarter for about the same price as an OEM battery, or the price of a 1/5-size 12V PLUS a jumpstarter. The gauge isn't really needed if you have a jumpstarter & don't mind having to use it without warning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I had to do it ALL over again, including getting the required jumpstarter & gauge, I'd be very strongly tempted to get a 1.3Lb $130 Antigravity ATZ7 li-ion:
View attachment 111327
It has a built-in jumpstarter for about the same price as an OEM battery, or the price of a 1/5-size 12V PLUS a jumpstarter. The gauge isn't really needed if you have a jumpstarter & don't mind having to use it without warning.
These are good batteries. I've got 2 of the size 7s (one in a dirt bike, one in a street bike) and am in the process of getting a size 10 for another street bike. I have a tendency to forget and leave the key in one of the bikes and the restart thing (which happens automatically, I turned the key off on the bike and then back on and was able to start the bike right away, without pushing the button). I've bought the batteries by contacting their "brand ambassador" directly to get a discount (Chad Estevez <[email protected]>). Oh, I should note that, although I'm a brand new user and registered just to post about this, I have no connection to the company. I'm just happy with the batteries.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Blue foam insulation on 5 sides.
Even surrounded by thick foam it's STILL smaller than the OEM! I wonder if it's own heat will be held in though.

Do you know the Ah rating?

I really like your adapter-free connections! It looks like you sawed off & drilled the OEM positive terminal near this yellow arrow:
Light Coil Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

& you could still just bolt it back onto the old terminal if ever needed.
Apparently it also works fine without this OEM current sensor:
Headgear Auto part Motor vehicle Space Helmet

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even surrounded by thick foam it's STILL smaller than the OEM! I wonder if it's own heat will be held in though.

Do you know the Ah rating?

I really like your adapter-free connections! It looks like you sawed off & drilled the OEM positive terminal near this yellow arrow:
View attachment 111376
& you could still just bolt it back onto the old terminal if ever needed.
Apparently it also works fine without this OEM current sensor:
View attachment 111377
Yes I took some liberties in the hardware provided. My electrical philosophy is less is more. I don’t know the AH rating. I found it once but I can’t remember. It’s a 300 cca, the larger of the two models they make. I like the idea of the reserve button types, but this one was already on my shelf looking for a purpose. I considered its own heat but this car doesn’t place a starting load on the battery so I don’t think it will ever create any heat.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Absolutely less electrical connections is more better!
(@Iceman has half as many connections as with clamps-to-adapters-to-terminals)

I zoomed in on the pic & finally realized the red part showing is the WHOLE top of the battery! It shows "16Ah" HOWEVER for such a tiny lithium-ion that is almost certainly a so-called "lead-acid equivalent" which is generally over double the true capacity, so
it's likely under 8Ah.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It LIKELY won't get hot, but personally I'd want to feel it with my own hands to check, before encasing it in insulation. The top cap probably doesn't get as warm, likely separated from the cells by the BMS circuitry, which LIKELY also keeps the battery itself from getting too warm.

There's ALMOST no starting load*, but my 500e burns over 1Ah every 2 days parked unplugged with the alarm armed. So after 4 days, 8Ah would be more than 25% discharged. Then & as soon as the key is turned it's recharging at up to 14.4V I have no idea how much heat that creates in a lithium-iron-phosphate, so I'd want to feel its sides for a while after parking unplugged for a few days & then starting the car.

* Just unlocking/opening the left door takes about 0.15Ah, which may not seem like much, but just going in & out of the car twice a day for 4 days burns 15% of an 8Ah battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Absolutely less electrical connections is more better!
(@Iceman has half as many connections as with clamps-to-adapters-to-terminals)

I zoomed in on the pic & finally realized the red part showing is the WHOLE top of the battery! It shows "16Ah" HOWEVER for such a tiny lithium-ion that is almost certainly a so-called "lead-acid equivalent" which is generally over double the true capacity, so
it's likely under 8Ah.
It’s rated 5ah, 64wh. However, with battery chemistry if you ever dip below 50%dod on a lead acid battery, you’re damaging the battery, where lifepo4 can dip below 80% before damage occurs. This is how they come up with these “equivalency“ ratings, but yeah.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It LIKELY won't get hot, but personally I'd want to feel it with my own hands to check, before encasing it in insulation. The top cap probably doesn't get as warm, likely separated from the cells by the BMS circuitry, which LIKELY also keeps the battery itself from getting too warm.

There's ALMOST no starting load*, but my 500e burns over 1Ah every 2 days parked unplugged with the alarm armed. So after 4 days, 8Ah would be more than 25% discharged. Then & as soon as the key is turned it's recharging at up to 14.4V I have no idea how much heat that creates in a lithium-iron-phosphate, so I'd want to feel its sides for a while after parking unplugged for a few days & then starting the car.

* Just unlocking/opening the left door takes about 0.15Ah, which may not seem like much, but just going in & out of the car twice a day for 4 days burns 15% of an 8Ah battery.
I try not to over think things. If this battery dies, then that’s the result of the experiment. I have too many other ponderous things in my head to worry about 2a battery draws, remember this battery is rated to expel 300amps

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Good point, but that 300CCA is only for a few seconds, without insulation. So I'm still a bit curious about the heat of recharge after parking a few days. If you do that very often, & it wears out, we won't know if it was killed from its own internal heat retained by your insulation.

Ignoring any damage to it, my calculations indicate that a 5Ah Li-ion starter battery should still have enough voltage to start a 500e after 9.5 days parked unplugged with the alarm on (or 12 days with it off).

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
CORRECTION: Internal heat won't be a factor!

Apparently Ultrabatt cells are designed to be sandwiched between other cells, each producing their own internal heat:
(Click to enlarge):
Liquid Product Font Material property Automotive lighting

"Just" surrounding one with insulation would retain LESS heat than that.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts