Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Started the car this morning, headed out the drive, and the TPMS warning light came on.

Turned around, hopped out, looked at the tires, and they all looked fine. Checked them all with a gauge and none were more than a pound low, so I topped them off since I was stopped anyway.

Back in the car, the light stayed on. Odd. I'm guessing I have a bad sensor or something. Even odder, though, I know from past experience that the dash readout will tell you with tire is low - this time, nothing on the dash readout.

Guess I'm calling the dealer today.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the threshold for the sensors is 27lbs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, it was on all day yesterday. I stopped on the way home to get a digital gauge, so I could get an exact reading. Parked it, it was on, paid $12 for a gauge, came back ot, started it, and it wasn't on.

I swear, one of the headlights winked a me on the way out!

Ryan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

That's confusing. I know that when my Tire Monitor went off a while ago, I didn't notice any of the tires looking low, but it told me that it was the front left tire, and when I checked it was about 8 psi low.

Hope everything works out for you.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low tire pressure light won't go off

Hey guys, just following up on the low tire pressure light situation. Mine went on a couple of days ago. Took delivery just two weeks ago. The indicator light (about 1 o'clock above speedometer) comes on, and stays on, whenever I drive. I just came from the dealer, who claimed they reset the indicator. Ten minutes later, it's on again. I've driven 2 days like this, after checking that the tires are inflated correctly. Help!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

It sounds like there's a fault somewhere (maybe with the sensor). The only thing that I can think of doing is taking the car back in and seeing if you can leave it with them for a while, so that they can try and reset it and then see if it comes back on again later.

Regards

Pat

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I copied this from another similar thread just in case it helps a tiny bit with extra info you may not have read...sorry if it is worthless info altogether for you and goodluck!

From the manual:

Once the low tire pressure warn-
ing (Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light) illuminates,
you must increase the tire pressure to the recommended
cold placard pressure in order for the Tire Pressure
Monitoring Telltale Light to turn off. The system will
automatically update and the Tire Pressure Monitoring
Telltale Light will turn off once the system receives the
updated tire pressures. The vehicle may need to be
driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in
order for the TPMS to receive this information.

So if you change rims tires you may have issues, seasonal changes can cause issues, using the spare tire will cause the light and I suppose since it is monitored wirelessly their could potentially be an issue somehow or fault in that on rare occasions. It appears though it will or SHOULD reset without a button or sequence of presses on pedals or activation of switches in specified sequences and time intervals as some vehicles require.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gee wiz - this sort of things makes me think that there's pesky bugs in the dash - electrical bugs that will lose their pizzazz once owners are driving for a while and keep staring at the Amber warning lights on the dash. I remember when my spare on my Tacoma gets low - the little low-pressure tire warning light comes on - very very annoying! Happens about once a year - then I just fill the spare a bit - and it goes away (and doesn't return).

Please do me update if, and that's if..the warning light actually goes away for the low-pressure (not really), for good!

·
Registered
707 Posts
There's gotta be a fuse for that right? I'll check that out and see if it works. although I check my pressure once every 2 weeks. I've only had my car for 3 weeks so I'm due for another personal inspection of the car soon done by myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm now in the same boat, mine came on and the tires are fine. It says that the tire monitering system is not available.....what ever that means...when I am due for the next oil fill I'll have them look at that and my rocker trim that is not sticking.:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's probably more than one thread on this. I visited my dealer 6 days ago to have the low tire pressure indicator (I know there is a technically correct term for this, but it's hard to remember), which has been lit up whenever I drive despite no tire pressure issue. After 5 days of driving around with the indicator light on, it suddenly disappeared. The only thing I did differently was let my Pop sit for a couple of days without driving, while I used my other car. Go figure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay guys, I'm back with a new theory on the TPMS light coming on at mysterious times. On another site I found the following:

A system fault can occur with any of the following scenarios:
1. Jamming due to electronic devices or driving next to facilities emitting the same radio frequencies as the TPMsensors.
2. Installing some form of aftermarket window tinting that affects radio wave signals
3. Snow or ice around the wheels or wheel housings.
4. Using tire chains on the vehicle.
5. Using wheels/tires not equipped with TPM sensors.

I finally figured out that (by habit) I place my Blackberry PDA in the drink holder tray, beneath the stick shift. The Blackberry must be close enough in proximity to the TPMS device to "jam" it, as #1 states above. Therefore the TPMS light comes on. Lately, I've been placing my Blackberry in the rear passenger drink holder tray (which is only about a couple of feet away from the front drink holder), and the TPMS light is off. For now.

I'm going to stick with this explanation, as the TPMS thing can at times drive me nuts! The dealer has not been able to fix it the errant TPMS light, and my tire pressure is good. If it comes on again (without valid reason), I'll have to find a new creative answer.

Would love to hear from others on this.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm now in the same boat, mine came on and the tires are fine. It says that the tire monitering system is not available.....what ever that means...when I am due for the next oil fill I'll have them look at that and my rocker trim that is not sticking.:(
Hi,

Mine did this, and it turned out one of my TPMS sensors had gone bad and had to be replaced.

Regards

Pat

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I had it pop on one evening, I pulled over to see if I could locate any foreign object which may cause it or any obvious signs the tire was low, it appeared to be fine and I was close so drove home figuring I would address the issue the following morning. The next day I cranked the car and found the issue had worsened, instead of front left I now got the msg stating front left and front right. I checked and all four tires were a bit low, corrected all four and drove a bit and the light went out, no issue since and I did a decent amount of driving. The evening and night when this occurred the temperature dropped significantly, coldest night since I got the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Abarth tire pressure warning light

I have a 2013 Abarth. On the way in for my free oil change, second since last October, the tire pressure warning light came on telling me my front left tire was at 28psi. I figured it was for real, pulled over and checked.....both fronts were at 38 psi. So something was up. I got to the dealer, did the oil change and a tire rotation, and was told that the tire pressure warning light would reset on my way home. I drove the 24 miles at ~80 MPH with the light on all the way. When I got home I cycled the ignition and was told that my front "right" tire needed checking at 34.6psi. Pretty flaky.

I have a compressor in my shop here so for kicks I am going to deflate and re-inflate all tires to spec and then go for a drive an see what happens.........................back in a bit.

Paolo

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I checked my tire pressures all around. Turns out the dealer messed up the tire pressures after rotating the tires. I watched them do it and they definitely rotated the tires then went around to each tire to set the inflation pressures. I was expecting to see 38psi front 32 rear. Instead I found 34psi front 40 rears...so it looks like they got them backwards at the dealer. At any rate I took them all down below 20 and re-inflated to spec. I then started the car and was still being told to check the front right at 34.6psi even though I knew it was now at 38psi bang on.

So ignoring that I went for a drive and was no more than 3 miles from the shop when the light went out. So far so good....I'll report back if I have any more issues with that circuit.

Paul

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
All I know is the same front right TPS goes off, even when I rotate the tires. Very strange. We have a club member, with the same issue. I just put air 36 pound of air the front right, drive it a couple miles. The light goes out. Only goes on when it really cold out side. Doesn't matter the tire!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.