Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just had Nitrogen put in my tires today.At $5 a tire it was a bargain.Problem is the tire guy suggested that after 20 minutes driving at over 40 the sensor indicator light should go out. That hasn't happened. Any insights,or does it mean a trip to dealer service department?

thanks

John

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's the basic rule of thumb. Dumb question time...are they all above 27psi?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire guy told me 20 minutes at over 40kmh andf i have done that and more uninterrupted

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nitrogen in the tires is a scam. Air is <> 78% nitrogen. It is a common industry gimmick. It is sold to people that don't know it yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it doesn't re-set, and you don't want to waste time at the dealer, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. It will re-set everything. Which means you will have to also re-set your clock and other EVIC settings and lose your to-date trip odometer history. Your radio stations will not have to be re-set. If the engine or tranny has "memory" ( the automatics often do) it will return to the original factory settings.

Already been there done that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low tire pressure light won't go off

Hey guys, just following up on the low tire pressure light situation. Mine went on a couple of days ago. Took delivery just two weeks ago. The indicator light (about 1 o'clock above speedometer) comes on, and stays on, whenever I drive. I just came from the dealer, who claimed they reset the indicator. Ten minutes later, it's on again. I've driven 2 days like this, after checking that the tires are inflated correctly.

It makes sense to unplug the battery which resets everything, but that's a lot of trouble if the light keeps coming on in the future. I was thinking of heading back to the dealer and asking to disable the low tire pressure light altogether.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
From the manual:

Once the low tire pressure warn-
ing (Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light) illuminates,
you must increase the tire pressure to the recommended
cold placard pressure in order for the Tire Pressure
Monitoring Telltale Light to turn off. The system will
automatically update and the Tire Pressure Monitoring
Telltale Light will turn off once the system receives the
updated tire pressures
. The vehicle may need to be
driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in
order for the TPMS to receive this information.

So if you change rims tires you may have issues, seasonal changes can cause issues, using the spare tire will cause the light and I suppose since it is monitored wirelessly their could potentially be an issue somehow or fault in that on rare occasions. It appears though it will or SHOULD reset without a button or sequence of presses on pedals or activation of switches in specified sequences and time intervals as some vehicles require.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Tweak, I will definitely keep that in mind. The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light has been "on" for 2 days straight, every time I start the car. This, after I made sure all tires where at the same pressure (I tried 35 lbs. this time), and even after I took it to the Fiat dealership to have the light "reset." The light came back on 5 minutes after I left the dealership. Now we think one of the tire sensors needs to be fixed, so back into the dealership I go next week. I took delivery of the car a mere 2 weeks ago, so it's too new to have this annoying glitch. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar this early on. The Fiat service team seems very helpful but we haven't fully solved the problem. If the light weren't in such a prominent location (right above the speedometer), I'd try to ignore it but that's hard to do.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Thanks, Tweak, I will definitely keep that in mind. The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light has been "on" for 2 days straight, every time I start the car. This, after I made sure all tires where at the same pressure (I tried 35 lbs. this time), and even after I took it to the Fiat dealership to have the light "reset." The light came back on 5 minutes after I left the dealership. Now we think one of the tire sensors needs to be fixed, so back into the dealership I go next week. I took delivery of the car a mere 2 weeks ago, so it's too new to have this annoying glitch. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar this early on. The Fiat service team seems very helpful but we haven't fully solved the problem. If the light weren't in such a prominent location (right above the speedometer), I'd try to ignore it but that's hard to do.

They shouldn't "all" be the same, the front and rear are supposed to be different by 5lbs according to FIAT as shown on the drivers side door placard or sticker. May not make a difference for the light but in case you hadn't noticed that fact. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
TPM is built into the engine CPU.....it can't be turned off and in fact it's illegal to tamper with. All new cars have to have it. I had new wheels and winter tires installed, without the sensors. Driving me nuts. To the nitrogen scam guy.....air is oxygen and nitrogen (mostly). Nitrogen has different properties than O2. If Nitrogen is such a scam, why do aircraft and motorsports use it?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
so some are saying it will reset on its own after a few miles / cycles but others are saying theirs didnt. Are we to assume the ones that didnt reset have bad sensors? just curious
I wouldn't ASSUME anything. The dealer has a tool to check each TPMS sensor. The individual wheel sensors communicate with the computer via Bluetooth so the dealer just puts the tool next to the tire they want to check to see what that sensor is transmitting.

IF the tire pressure IS low once the pressure is restored to factory settings or higher then the system should reset itself within a few miles of driving...at least that is how my 2012 system works. The 2013's display actual tire pressures, the 2012's did NOT.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
you don't need to reset the tpms - every time you key on / key off the car the system resets. if the light is still on, the air (nitrogen) pressure is not where it needs to be. Have them put 35-40 psi in the tires.

To me, nitrogen in the tires is nothing more than an inconvenience. It locks you into visiting a tire store if you want to add or remove tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A long time ago when I bought new bigger tires and changed all my suspension parameters (also anti sway bar) I found the needed tire pressure to be more than the listed on the door jamb. The sensors don't like different from door jamb, They came on and stayed on, I had the fiat tech reset them with his electronic gear which they can do and we cannot. The light came back on and stayed. Another trip to tech, another reset - light back on. As stated prior, the tpms sensors don't like different than door jamb listing. I got used to the light and never even see it any more even though it's still on. This was my early 2012 and I can't say if all the 500s are this way or not but maybe. Fiat has been called and said the pressures must be as listed and don't vary. I guess none of them figured any of us would ever change suspension, tire sizes and use the car for more spirited driving. I moniter my own tire pressure like I did before cars had tpms. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
A long time ago when I bought new bigger tires and changed all my suspension parameters (also anti sway bar) I found the needed tire pressure to be more than the listed on the door jamb. The sensors don't like different from door jamb, They came on and stayed on, I had the fiat tech reset them with his electronic gear which they can do and we cannot. The light came back on and stayed. Another trip to tech, another reset - light back on. As stated prior, the tpms sensors don't like different than door jamb listing. I got used to the light and never even see it any more even though it's still on.
My Sport was built in February 2011. I also changed suspension and tires. Original sticker for 16" said 35 front, 30 rear. In my 17" I run 38 to 40 front, 32 to 35 rear. I had Tire Rack install new sensors and mount and balance tires/wheels before shipping. My TPMS light never comes on. Never had a tech do anything to my TPMS system.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts