Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, and gals, I'm not a Fiat ownerbut I might be! You see, I own a Toyota Pickup 06 2.7 L 4x2 Pickup access cab (bought it new) and of course my 1979 MGB Roadster. I love small cars - and 4 cylinders strictly! I’m thinking of trading my Tacoma for a Fiat (never never never…the MGB Roadster!)

I test drove the Automatic (sport) and the 5 Speed Sport, yesterday in Beaverton Oregon. The salesman, Ryan Hurlbert was very knowledgeable and helpful. I actually loved driving it the Fiat – and the reviews don’t jive with what I thought of the Automatic – it was responsive and the manual feature was pretty cool I thought. I really like the styling - and the air about the car - but it is untested and that is something that is a concern that I cannot follow through, yet.

>> Here's the thing though: is this car reliable down the...road? Is this car gonna save my behind in a head on crash or side impact crash? And is the gas mileage good, fair or poor in your opinions with the 6 speed automatic?

I've already read here about some rattles in the door, the dash warning lights/computer needing updating and perused some other areas of concern.

If you were a new buyer of a Fiat again - would you buy it again, like today, knowing what you know - about your new Fiat? Since you all already have paid or are paying for - your new Fiat - and can't take it back - how does it feel to own your Fiat, really? :cool:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Sport Auto and has about 4000 miles on it so far and love it! Most of my driving is highway and I get 44 mpg (disclaimer Canadian Gallon your mileage will vary) Its quick,turns heads and is a blast to drive. Most of the reviewers have been glowing. It won't haul stuff like the truck will but its way more fun IMHO

john

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I am a newer owner and I would suggest it and buy it again, as I always say I do miss the higher HP #'s but the fun aspect and the knowledge that I can add a few mods makes me ok with what it offers. I have the auto and it is fun, I do miss the manual but health issues made me choose the auto and I have no regrets. I have no unusual noises or issues except the cars desire to jump to the USB occasionally at random no matter what I have tried but that's not really a big deal. I could just remove the USB and not worry about it but being a new owner I wished to play with ECODrive and do have a bit of music on it as well. I want to trust the people in Michigan to have built a reliable engine and their seems to be plenty of people talking about the Multi-Air as something special so I think we will see a long running reliable car.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I've had my 500 for almost a month now. Close to 1,000 miles. Loaded sport. Love it, very fun to drive. Great on the highway. Love the Bose 7 channel sound system, with Sirius radio. Power sunroof, Blue and Me, Nav,etc. Much better vehicle, then my other smaller car. All my cars are small. Highway travel doesn't bother me, in it. Feel like a larger car when your in it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 500C Lounge Automatic and would buy it again in a heartbeat! This is a fun car to drive and I love chucking it around corners. Is this car going to win a drag race? No but who cares it can make turns other cars wish they could. The ride is comfortable and the leather seating gives good support.
I have been getting around 31mpg with all city driving and have over 900 miles on the car.
As far as crashing is concerned - this car can get out of the way better than most and it has some great crash ratings both in the US and Europe.
For reliability - the car has been in Europe for quite and few years now and has been reliable from what I have read on boards from over there.
Go pick out your favorite color combo and get one - you will love it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good feedback folks - thanks. I hope to read more from my thread! No complaints at all? That's pretty good. I wonder, are you all so pumped about it so much that whatever is wrong with the car you simply ignore whatever issues are popping up? I'm more of an optimist, but my realist comes into play - because I own a '79 MGB - and it is reliable, regardless of what people say about Lucas or English cars - I've owned an MGB since 1984 - had two infact. I just changed the starter relay and the ignition relay - what, after the first relays lasted 30 years in the B. My Tacoma's given me zero issues, and I expected that. I never have either vehicle break down.

Great to know you all are having such a good time owning your little rigs. We'll wait and see for me - thanks again!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have 8100 kms (5000 ish miles) and I love it. Its by far the most fuel
Efficient car I've owned and also one of the most fun
To own. It turns heads everywhere, it's comfortable, looks great inside and out and for a city car it's pretty quick ( i have an aftermarket intake
And exhaust) so far my only issues are the drivers
Side skirt is falling off. The dealer has already ordered me another. And after installing my lowering springs I have a
Mystery clunk in the front end. My friend whp
Owns a repair shop installed them
And he looked at it again and said they aren't a perfect fit so that's why he thinks it's being noisy. I will most likely be trading this car in when the abarth comes out so I will put it back to stock then. Overall it's been a great car

·
Registered
475 Posts
Our autotrans Sport is just over a month old and not a single complaint.
As was mentioned, the leather seats are great, Bose audio blows away the Alpine 10 speaker surround sound in my Power Wagon, and it loves the road in a way that only an Italian mini car can.
It gets almost 32 mpg when I thrash it in the twisties or commute; much better if we behave.
I'm coming to it from 3 MINI Cooper Ss in a row, two Mazda 3s, a Scion Xb, and a long list of other odd cars.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Our autotrans Sport is just over a month old and not a single complaint.
As was mentioned, the leather seats are great, Bose audio blows away the Alpine 10 speaker surround sound in my Power Wagon, and it loves the road in a way that only an Italian mini car can.
It gets almost 32 mpg when I thrash it in the twisties or commute; much better if we behave.
I'm coming to it from 3 MINI Cooper Ss in a row, two Mazda 3s, a Scion Xb, and a long list of other odd cars.
So did you run into reliability problems with your Mini's?

I was very close to ordering a convertible S until I researched and found mass complaints about the clutch, tranny, flywheel
plus a lot of fodder regarding generally condescending experiences dealing with Mini/BMW service departments.

It was enough to spook me from a $32K custom order and cast my lot with Fiat.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So did you run into reliability problems with your Mini's?

I was very close to ordering a convertible S until I researched and found mass complaints about the clutch, tranny, flywheel
plus a lot of fodder regarding generally condescending experiences dealing with Mini/BMW service departments.
Boy howdy, yes.
The R53 was rock solid.
My first R56 had the Getrag manual and had the flywheel issue as well as an injector problem; I was lucky I didn't get blown up.
BMW replaced that car and we got the manumatic; it had electrical gremlins from day-one that BMW was kind enough to stick us with. I was glad to kiss that car goodbye.
I loved them but I hated them.

The FIAT is all love so far. It will do until the Abarths appear...

;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Boy howdy, yes.
The R53 was rock solid.
My first R56 had the Getrag manual and had the flywheel issue as well as an injector problem; I was lucky I didn't get blown up.
BMW replaced that car and we got the manumatic; it had electrical gremlins from day-one that BMW was kind enough to stick us with. I was glad to kiss that car goodbye.
I loved them but I hated them.

The FIAT is all love so far. It will do until the Abarths appear...

;)
Ditto, already talked to the dealer about trading mine in a couple years for an Abarth. Funny, I hadn't even signed the papers on the first one yet. :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I've owned my manual Pop for just under 3 months and have about 2900 miles on it. I haven't had a single issue with it to date, and I'm getting between 33.6 to 42.3 mpg per tankful. The best I've done for a single trip was 50.2 mpg from Falls Church, VA to Glen Burnie, MD (about 43 miles total). That trip was mostly a straight shot up US 495 to US 95.

As far as safety goes, I suspect that with its 7 airbags it might actually be a bit safer for me than the 05 Toyota Matrix that I traded in.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What do you current owners think about the engines being made in a Chrysler plant in Detroit? I understand, (unless the data was wrong) that the cars are being assembled in the same plant in Mexico that the "K" Cars were made/assembled in decades ago. I know the K Cars are gone and none of them were any good. Anyone know (or care) to respond to that correlation of the same factory that made bad cars and the new Fiat being made, some 30 years later in the same factory?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine has been great. About a month in, and 2900 miles already in part because it is a blast to drive. My kid is grown up and moved out, so the miniscule rear seat is not an issue for me. If I was still moving kids and lots of stuff around, I wouldn't be able to have this car.

No technical issues of any kind so far.

·
Registered
614 Posts
What do you current owners think about the engines being made in a Chrysler plant in Detroit? I understand, (unless the data was wrong) that the cars are being assembled in the same plant in Mexico that the "K" Cars were made/assembled in decades ago. I know the K Cars are gone and none of them were any good. Anyone know (or care) to respond to that correlation of the same factory that made bad cars and the new Fiat being made, some 30 years later in the same factory?
Actually I think you have it confused with the PT Cruiser plant.

It's based on a successful blueprint that's been top notch in Europe for quite some time. Tweaked for a more American ride.

No concern here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The missing HP actually make the car fun to drive. I wan't really aware how boring it is to drive a +250 HP car at city speeds...

And yeah, I've had the car since the beginning of May, and I've had zero issues. So far, it has been a lot more reliable than my old Cooper S (as I've said before).

·
Registered
614 Posts
The missing HP actually make the car fun to drive. I wan't really aware how boring it is to drive a +250 HP car at city speeds...

And yeah, I've had the car since the beginning of May, and I've had zero issues. So far, it has been a lot more reliable than my old Cooper S (as I've said before).
Exactly, it's like escaping from the amusement park with one of the cars. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great quote

I think this came from Top Gear...

"its way more fun to drive a slow car fast,than to drive a fast car slowly":D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts