Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know that I've seen any owners comment about the optional Tom Tom unit. Any owners have any thoughts?

Worth the $400?

Is it accurate?

Are the voice instructions loud enough to hear?

How complete is the feature set?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I got the Tomtom free with my car. I like my Garmin better. The interface is better on it too. I could live without 500's Nav. I don't like where its position on the dash too. Very distracting. The Tom tom isn't very accurate. Reports, you have arrived, before you get there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has been very accurate..the 3 or 4 times I have used the nav. I use it most with the Ipod info and searching, also I like that i can see my phone contact list on it, and call history. Trip info, and a eco guage that I have used a couple of times out of curiosity. I love the position and don't notice it unless I want too and i am a pretty short driver. You get a universal mount so you can use it in other cars. The voice is about the same as every nav I have used. I also like that the car icon is a white 500, since I drive a white 500

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Why didn't they just add it as a built in feature?

no room on the dash for it. besides, its portability is what I liked about it. you can take it with you if you're exploring an area you're not familiar with, unlike a built in unit.

mines been very accurate and I LOVE IT. I think it is slightly overpriced but I opted NOT to get the Sirius option so in affect, it only cost me $200, much more reasonable.

I can see why some think its position on the dash is an issue. but I'm over 6' tall and see over it. in fact, I have mine 'on' all the time, to and from work, and I've just gotten accustomed to it being there. my only issue with it is that it doesn't turn "OFF" with the ignition and when you turn it "ON", you must tap 'accept' every time. gets old.

but other than that, I like the ecoDrive feature, the fact that my B&M is linked to it and that I can, for the most part, work it with my steering wheel controls, unlike a hand-held unit.:)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Dash position sucks. It blocks your field of view. I got used to it after a while...and then just pitched it into the glove box. It has user controls for your Ipod/MP3 player and phone but I've found the steering wheel buttons are better for the MP3 player (I keep both hands on the wheel) and the voice command for the phone is accurate enough for usage. I've only used the navigation once for a local business and it put me on the wrong side of the street (crossing a 4 lane highway)

Another gripe...it takes several minutes to realize it's night time and the screen blinds the **** out of your for what seems like an eternity. Once it gets a sat signal and realizes...oh crap it's night time! Then it dims.

Free, I'd still take it. $400, they can have it back.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Navigon for my iPhone 4 works better. It's available for other platforms too.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I would only believe the comments about the physical layout in this car. As for the navigational accuracy, it's whatever Tom Tom does. The unit doesn't change its behaviour because of what brand of car it's being used in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Every nav I have ever used has messed up at least once, and $400 is cheap for a nav option, show me one for under $1000. Our Escalade and Vette have built in nav and they don't do any more than the 500's, aren't portable and I have to take my eyes off the road to look at them. The Vette does put up coming turns and changes on the windshield display when they are close. They also lock up when moving. I hate using phone nav, because at my age I need reading glasses and I can't look at it while driving. It is good for finding somewhere to eat lunch when I am out on business but for navigating a trip phone nav sucks for me.
The TomTom location does take some time to get use too, but I miss it when I have it undocked.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yeah but your phone doesn't add resale value to your car =)

when it's integrated. Not when it's an add on (ok, it has a dash hole)

THen you're just selling a 4-5 year old car with a GPS you could buy at best buy for nickel.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sometimes it is expensive to upgrade intergrated nav systems so they don't add much value either if they have much age on them. Tom Tom is my least favorite nav sys and I do wonder if this thing quits in the future can I replace it with a then current nav or chunk it and just get a portable. I can see myself trying to sell it in the future stressing it has a Tom Tom so you can at least find a tire store...cause it doesn't have a spare.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like mine more for its integration with the car. I don't actually need the Nav much as I mostly drive around in the city I've lived my while life. It is nice the rare time that I do travel outside the city though.

I use it quite often for the media controls. It's much nicer to be able to select my playlists or albums on the touchscreen. It's also convenient that I can pass it to my passenger to control the music or program a Nav route.

It's also nice that it's much easier to update than most in car Nav systems. Some integrated Nav systems can't even be updated with new maps at all.

I do wish it had a better mounting system and that it supported audio over the car speakers but overall i'm happy with my purchase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts