Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Too many errors here. 2013 500e. For a time I was able to continue driving -just ignoring the dashboard.

Service Charging System, ESC, ABS, TPMS, "Blue and Me," flashing odometer and "Not Ready"

Started hacking with lots of tips from this helpful forum. Disconnected 12v battery and switched ignition on/off a couple hundred times. Replaced original 12v battery which was possible source of some of the errors. No results.

Tried Konnwei reader and the set of Fiat cable adapters. After great troubleshooting help from AlfaOBD tech support, (good guy Alexi) we decided Konnwei not was to up to the tasks. Proxi Alignment wasn't happening or maybe wasn't resolving issues. I bought an OBDLink Mx+ code reader, and registered the copy of AlfaOBD software. Better results but...

After several weeks, I gave up when finally faced with "Not Ready" and an immovable car. Tried local garages, even ones 'specializing' in EV's. No one wanted to touch a Fiat. And the only Fiat dealer with a 500e tech was a 30mi tow. They were not that cooperative and would not let me confer with tech.

Happened on URL for FiatService.eu. They specialize in 500e's, and work remotely anywhere in the world! These guys were exactly what I needed. Peter was so patient and very knowledgeable. Which is something not often encountered at a local garage or dealer.

They guided me through necessary diagnostics then emailing AlfaOBD .logs for them to decipher. And in less than a day the 500e was error-free and operational. I am sure my hacks did not help matters, as their simple fix led to some confusing issues with "Blue and Me" and not fixable with AlfaOBD. FiatService.eu prefers to work with WiTech and Multiecuscan. For this the tech can remote directly to your car with the two of you working together. Live. Awesome.

The remaining BnM issue is not a problem as I never use it. It could be a dead module. Testing now With WiTech and Multiecuscan.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
When my 2013 500e's clock goes to 00:00 as shown, it now shows 2015 (not 2013, as shown), so I wonder if the car shown has out-of-date software. Thanks for the great tips: FiatService.eu with WiTech and MultiECUscan.

Thanks for the great article Don, BUT:

- Fiat 500e's 0% does NOT in fact appear to be "~3500-3600mV/cell", since mine showed 3596mV at 16%, & another member here reported 3100mV at 0%.

- Charging to 100% DOES in fact appear to be balancing the battery, since I rarely do that, it slowly loses balance, & as soon as I go to 100% the balance instantly improves greatly (from 20mV to 6mV last time). It is possible that it also balances itself IF it goes FAR out of balance, but I don't know how bad that would be, compared to occasionally taking it to 100% momentarily right before driving.

- "The 'magic' STORAGE level of 3.7V – 3.8V per cell (about 45-50%)" doesn't quite match the article's own chart's
"3.8 = 55%", NOR does it match the BatteryUniversity.com ideal storage spec of 3.92V per cell, which is also at a much more convenient 60% or so on the Fiat gauge. For my own daily storage I aim for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
charging is not balancing. charging could be run with a balancer or without.
that's what appear to be balance at 100% is top voltage balance and effect of the difference in cells capacity

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand. I very rarely go to 100%, & my pack develops an increasing difference between the min & max cell voltages. I've seen up to around 20mV difference. I believe that's what's referred to as "imbalance". When I do go to 100%, that difference is immediately reduced to around 5-7mV. I thought that was due to the cells being balanced by taking it to 100%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
Lithium-Ion batteries storage voltage is around 3.75V - 3.8V.
So if you owned a 500e, you would try to store it at no more than 3.8V/cell? (NOT the 3.92V recommended at BatteryUniversity.com)

If so, I'll try to start doing that, & keep track of how the car's % gauge reads when OBD says 3.8, so others without OBD can know about what % gauge reading is best for storage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand. I very rarely go to 100%, & my pack develops an increasing difference between the min & max cell voltages. I've seen up to around 20mV difference. I believe that's what's referred to as "imbalance". When I do go to 100%, that difference is immediately reduced to around 5-7mV. I thought that was due to the cells being balanced by taking it to 100%.
you got 2 cells balance at 4.1 V - one is 10Ah capacity, second 8Ah. When you discharge them by using 4Ah - one is 50% second is 60% so the voltage differs

now what you mean by store? left the battery for the winter season for few months or just for daily use, cos thats two difrent things

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,181 Posts
I "store" my car 4 days, & then 3 days, every single week. For example, a short drive Monday morning, then parked until a short drive Thursday morning, then park again until Monday morning.

I don't see how duration alters ideal storage level: For example, even for just 1 hour every day it's better to leave a Fiat with 60% than 100%. Same for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc. If there is a perfect voltage for the battery, I'd think that should be the best for any length of time, UNLESS you're referring to such long storage that the battery loses power, in which case you'd ideally want to start a bit higher so it hits that same perfect voltage about half-way through the storage period.

you got 2 cells balance at 4.1 V
So the cells DO get balanced at 4.1V (100% on Fiat).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts