Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

What would your top three (of four) recommendations be to a complete newbie to modifications for a 2012 FIAT Sport, on a budget? Things that you think/feel would have to most bang for the buck? I have no experience with modifications at all, not with this car, not with any car.

Would it be an air filter? Liftgate leather handle? Coilovers? haha :D (Mind you, I only "know" what coilovers are by reading the posts here.) Clear bra (ditto)?

If you had a friend who was interested in dipping her toe into modifications of her new car and turned to you for advice (and she didn't want, or have the means, to go really nuts), what advice would you give her? (Or him, your friend could be a him, too.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My simple suggestion would be, since you live in the L.A. area, is to visit 500Madness. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to make some professional suggestions.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
all about budget

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
and what you prefer and what you are willing to compromise in the process

·
Registered
168 Posts
And what your actual needs are...

for me, it was about protecting her exterior from the awful CO road debris so the first thing I bought was the clear bra.

Next, it was about seeing into my darn glove box, lol, the mini led light setup (cheapest mod ever!).

Then it was making it through the CO winter commute, so a really good set of full on snow tires.

Normally, I'd upgrade the brake pads right away as well but I am pretty impressed with the stockers (kept me out of an accident that occurred right in front of me) so I'll leave them for now.

My car already came with the stainless steel 500 door sills and window tint (both pre-installed prior to us finding her at the TX dealer) and I really like both...except trying to back anywhere at night without lights around, dang that's dark, lol!

And I bought my most awesome bat design license plate holders, lol!

Since I've met the practical needs (well, once I buy new summer tires for her this year) and I have a few aesthetics taken care of, I'll probably just drive her for awhile until something needs modification or accessory-wise really captures my fancy...or doesn't...we'll see. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
1) Sill Protector.. looks nice plus you wont get nasty scratches on the door sill
2) TINT.. Down here in South Florida it is needed , plus looks great
3) Drop in Filter or new intake.. no more dead spot, better performance and better miles
and one more..
4) FIAT LOGO shoulder pads for the seat belts..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
1.left front lowering spring
2.left rear lowering spring
3.right front lowering spring
4.right rear lowering spring

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Cold Air Intake, Sprint booster, Slight drop.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all! I really appreciate it. I do have to do some searches on some of the suggestions as I actually don't know what you mean, but it's okay; it's fun to learn stuff. Perhaps I will make my way to visit 500Madness, special thanks to SeaDawg for that suggestion.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear Mr. Pickles: How about I skip numbers 1 and 2 and just do 3 and 4? And stay in first gear all the way home?

Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Registered
376 Posts
How low can you go?

Would you just cut a coil or two out of the springs to make the ride lower????:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you just cut a coil or two out of the springs to make the ride lower????:D
Actually, I just drove to 500Madness in Signal Hill and met Boris and his dog, and he pointed out the coils (by he, I meant Boris, not the dog). So, I now actually know what and where the coils are and what they look like.

Hey, I am a complete newbie at mods. I never wanted to modify my staid Honda Accord.

I bought a black leather gate handle (Mod #2!). Thanks to SeaDawg again for the suggestion to visit 500Madness.

Boris' suggestions:
For performance
1. sprint booster
2. cold air intake
3. new exhaust

For handling:
1. replace coils
2. replace wheels & tires

I was so clueless about prices that when Boris provided the price of a specific set of new tires would be (if I kept the wheels), I asked in horror "Is that per wheel?" and he nicely said, "No, that's everything out the door."

Happy to learn.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. Remove the rear seats FREE
2. Muffler Delete. Best 60$ I spent on the car
3. Drop-In Filter 35$

Reactions: zonker

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

I have a Grigio 500 Sport, manual transmission.

For best performance mods:
1. Injen CAI
2. Sprint Booster
3. Borla exhaust

I got all three at Madness and had them installed there. The car went from mild to wild.

Next on my list:
1. Lowering springs, 1.2"
2. Short Shifter Kit by Craven Speed
3. Front Brace Bar - Upper

Ciao

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

I have a Grigio 500 Sport, manual transmission.

For best performance mods:
1. Injen CAI
2. Sprint Booster
3. Borla exhaust

I got all three at Madness and had them installed there. The car went from mild to wild.

Next on my list:
1. Lowering springs, 1.2"
2. Short Shifter Kit by Craven Speed
3. Front Brace Bar - Upper

Ciao
Ciao, JAnaheim! Wasn't Boris nice? I know about that 1.2" lowering, btw. :) That's exactly what Boris was telling me about today.

Thanks for your post. Enjoy your wild car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ciao, JAnaheim! Wasn't Boris nice? I know about that 1.2" lowering, btw. :) That's exactly what Boris was telling me about today.

Thanks for your post. Enjoy your wild car.
Thanks Peipster. I'll post some pictures later, after I'm done with dinner and laundry! You're right about Boris, he gave me some nice suggestions on modifying and accessorizing my car. Very nice guy, great shop.

Ciao

1 - 20 of 66 Posts