Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Abarh with 33k miles. Since the Studio near me closed last year, I had to have it towed 2 hours away yesterday when the engine started make loud revving noises and the car had very little driving power. I've never loved a car like I have this one, but with the warranty about to be up and no place close to me to repair this baby, I'm starting to get nervous. I haven't had many issues with it, but I haven't seen many posts about how these cars do after 40k+ miles. My wife is ready for me to trade it. LOL

Any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you in San Antonio? They closed both of my dealership here and now I have to go 77+ miles to Austin. My prior fiat sport had 65k miles and not much problem, just traded it in for a abarth that was sold at a great price when the fiat deaerships closed that I couldn't pass it up, hoping it's just like my sport.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Could also be a hose popped off after the turbo and you lost boost.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Could also be a hose popped off after the turbo and you lost boost.
This.

I had that happen in my T5 Volvo a few years back. Dropped it into 3rd on the highway and BANG! A hose clamp snapped and the hose popped off at the base of the intercooler. Instantly lost most of the power and it was pretty loud under throttle. I put the hose back on with a new clamp and I was good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cars break and then you fix them. New cars cost money, used cars cost money. Words of wisdom? Get a bicycle or walk?
My issue has to do with the wisdom of owning a car that has to be towed 2 hours away to be fixed. And the questionable reliability of the brand at higher mileage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My issue has to do with the wisdom of owning a car that has to be towed 2 hours away to be fixed. And the questionable reliability of the brand at higher mileage.
That's only true while it's under warranty.

When the warranty is up (or if you're under an extended warranty) you can have it worked on anywhere you like.

It may be an Italian marque but it's a Chrysler product... there's really nothing exotic about it and there are very few reasons any mechanic would be stumped by it. (Save for ECU and BCM stuff... computers, in short)

-Brian

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Bernard, do yourself a favor.

Trade in that pesky FIAT (Chrysler PT cruiser really) on a nice tan Camry with cloth seats.

You will sleep better at night!

tedolph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fiat not a PT

Bernard, do yourself a favor.

Trade in that pesky FIAT (Chrysler PT cruiser really) on a nice tan Camry with cloth seats.

You will sleep better at night!

tedolph
The PT Cruiser was a Neon with different sheet metal.
The FIAT is an entirely new vehicle. They share no parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also "...the engine started make loud revving noises and the car had very little driving power" doesn't make a lot of sense. What is a loud revving noise? Does the engine speed increase independent from the vehicle's speed? Is there some other (new) sound coming from the engine bay? Does it happen all the time, some of the time? Do you have a manual or automatic? Which gear are you in?

I suppose it doesn't matter at the end of the day. You either have a transmission, clutch, or engine issue and any one of these problems will require someone with mechanical skill and knowledge to repair. Unless this is warranty work, there doesn't seem to be a reason to have the car towed two hours. Is there any reason you can't use a good local mechanic?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Made in the same factory by the same employees with the same parts suppliers. Reliability is about the same.

Tedolph
Sooooo... They also made the 1977 LeBaron there... I guess that's the same, too?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cars break and then you fix them. New cars cost money, used cars cost money. Words of wisdom? Get a bicycle or walk?
We have found the long lost son of Tedolph!
Sooooo... They also made the 1977 LeBaron there... I guess that's the same, too?
And the Dodge/Fiat Journey... Tedolph's logic beats everything else...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts