Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'd like to put a towing hitch behind my 500e, just for occasional smaal weight transport on a short distance, and maybe putting a bike carrier on.
I see several post'on receiver hitches, but here in europe they are not for sale.
So, i need to go the original fiat route, or aftermarket fiat 500 route.

Question in general: Besides the engine and springs/shocks, is the fiat500e fully the same/compatible with the regular gasoline fiat 500?
So, if i need a hitch, can i safely order one from a gas powered 500 of the same year of build?
Same with lights, wipers, etcetera?
i searched for hitches, and i come across (312_) as a model. Is this the 312?

Just asking to make sure, and safely order a hitch instead a pile of iron to be trashed... :)

Also, can i use the pre-configured wiring sets for the regular 500?
I assume they are the same, same lights, connectors, etcetera?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just recently bought a Reese 77255 for my E. I need it for a bike rack.

I have not installed it yet, I'm waiting to get back under there and decide if I'm going to remove the rear apron and build a diffuser. If I do, I will probably shorten the hitch by several inches to gain ground clearance and to hide it a bit.

I'll be under the car in a week or so to do Konis/ springs, so I can hold the hitch up to see if there is any intereference anywhere. It's pretty naked under there, so I'm not expecting any issues.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Has anyone done the trailer wiring? I've seen a short video clip where someone wired in. But it was unclear if it was a harness with a T-connector or not. No details given. Here is that clip.

My jeep has been sitting for close to a year. Time to get rid of it. Like Dutchlincoln I'm interested in short haul trailer trips. But, I have to have trailer lights to make it work.

FYI here is an installation of a Curt 11363 Class 1 hitch with a 1-1/4 inch receiver to a 2015 Fiat 500e:
youtube installation video.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, why not safe then sorry, and use some relays?
Pull a fused 12V to the rear (or tap from the amp)
put it onto the switch side of the reay (times 3 or 4, depending on needs) and the other ends on the corresponding lights on the connector. Then one coil side of the relay on the ground of the car, and each other wire from the relay to: brake, light, signal left, and signal right? Just cut the wire, put some schrinktube around it, strip, twist into eachother, twist the relay cable with it, solder it, and when cooled, put the heatschrink over and schrink with some heat. When well soldered, theres no connection that beats it. If you want to do it perfect, get vulcanising heatshrink tube. It seals off hermetically, and will last definately longer then the car will... :)

if you want/need to, i can draw a little schematic?

ps. I have bought a hitch and it came with a cable kit.Tomorrow was planned to install it. I can make some pictures tomorrow, and post these when im done?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
Today i installed my european "Westfalia" towing hitch for my 500E. naturally, it is meant to be mounted on a regular 500.
Everything fits very well, there is only one flaw, and i wonder if anyone of you guys that installed anhitch ran into the same problems.

The bar that goes from left to right and connects to the hitch itself, is prodided with 2 holes left, and 2 holes right.
These go on the original bolts of the rear bumper.
The thing is; my bumper only has 3 bolts on each side instead of 4... On the left side, the top right is missing, and on the right side the top left is missing...
So... i miss 2 of the 4 mounting bolts of my hitch!

On the sides, there is a thick plate that runs to the carrying beams of the car, where it has 2 bolts on each side as well, but i wonder if all of you also miss the 2 upper bolts of the rear bumper?

My guess is that ist not a very big deal, but i can only assume this slightly lowers the hitch carrying capacity, as its easyer to twist now.. The pulling weicht comes from the 2 side plates.
I intended to drill 2 holes to tuck a bolt behind, but as far as i can tell, there is no way to get begind it to put the bolt in..

anyone have any experience with it?

i forgot to make pictures, but i'll see if i still can make some, but its raining right now... :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,
I had a stock harness that came with the hitch.
As the colors were different, i measured it, but in fact its just a decent splice with stock connectors and the original Fiat gommets (great! cable!) The only connection that was relaye'd, were the brake lights. Tapped from one of the rear lights, buffered by a relay. I tapped the power for these lights from the amplifier positive.
Made a bunch of pictures, i will post tomorrow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed my 4th bolt on advice from someone, so i had to disassemble it all again, and attach the 4th bolt. I couldnt get the ring in the hole and through, so inside, its just the bolt itself. Fixating it was daunting, as i couldnt get to the head of the bolt...
It feels a lot better having this bolt in place actually.
I made some pictures of the assembly, for reference and future use.
The grey spray is galva zinc spray to prevent rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
& the last ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice pictures. Thanks.

I'm still trying to get some perspective on the bolts that you fed through. I presume they are on both sides of the frame? I read somewhere that the passenger side bolts were threaded and didn't need to be fed in overhead using the fishing wire. Is that the case?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. I have an old Jeep sitting around gathering dust for doing 10-15 mile light trailer hauls. I think I'm going to get rid of it and use the Fiat to tow my 4x8 utility trailer.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi, you're welcome.
Hope more people are informed by pictures, always better than a long story.. :)

No, both ends are equal.
On the left side, the upper left, lower left, and lower right studs are present. On the passenger side, the upper right, lower right, and lower left studs are present.
The driverside upper right, and the passenger side upper left, are missing.
I drilled a hole there, and managed to pull the bolts (without washer, as the head was too close to the side) pull through.
Tip: use slightly longer bolts. This way you can turn the nuts, and lateron with tightening them, you can grab the remaining thread to hold the bolt and tighten the nut well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tapped the power for these lights from the amplifier positive.
Is this connection somewhere in the back of the vehicle? My stuff came in and the trailer lights has a positive line whose instructions state need to be connected to the battery at the front of the car.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi,

Yes, it needs a constant positive. The description says to pull it to the front of the car, and connect it to the positive battery terminal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I understand that the lights need a constant positive. It's just that your description of "Amplifier Positive" implied that connection is somewhere more accessible than the front of the car. Am I mistaken on that?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aaah, okay. Yes its way more easy. On the right, behind the plastic bump in the trunk, theres the audio amplifier. It gets a big fused positive from the battery thats fine with being tapped for a few lightbulbs. You can pull the plastic cap and unscrew the amp to get access to the wires. Its the thickest, i believe red with white stripe, thats continuous positive.

ps. Whan you tap it, do it with the delivered fuse inbetween to protect the thinner trailer wiring...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts