Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

so I saw a post from a while back and im curious if anyone has anything new to say or add. The common issue with towing was lack of support as far as the actual hitch is concerned. With this seemingly easy to deal with now adays, im curious if people have been towing with their Abarths.

I have a 2013 500 Abarth with a bolt-ons (EBC All around as well ) but still stock clutch, stock turbo, stock tune.
Id like to try and tow a 5'x8' Aluminum trailer and a Kart on top. The set-up all in all shouldn't weigh that much but curious if even the 500lb range if trailer brakes is recommend.
Mostly worried about: Stock Tune, Stock Clutch, and Lack of Trailer Brakes

Curious how you all have gotten along.
Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
The issue I had is the owner's manual specifically says NO towing allowed. That being said, the European versions don't seem to have a problem and they're lighter. I have thought of getting a hitch so I could use a bike rack attachment. Apparently others here have had success with light towing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well -- not an Abarth I have - but european and towing; twinair 80 doesn't mind doing a full pull.
That is towing a pop-top caravan weihgin in at cose to max capacity: 800 kg.
No concerns driving with this rig: stability is fine, brakes too (trailer has brakes), power is OK.
Wow-effect and street cred is fantastic ;o)
No idea why the US versions should not be suited for towing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Fiat specifically says no towing. That said, you can see some crazy cases of what people tow, up to 2000 lbs, including trailers that double wind resistance. I think most hitches are class 1, which are rated 2000 lbs (200 lb tongue weight) but even the hitch dealer says to check specs with your car's dealer.

For the US, mfgrs realize demands are different than Europe. A flat tire or cross wind and a tall trailer and it will own the car, especially one with a SWB. I expect you'll be towing less than 1000 lbs and it's low, so I wouldn't hesitate driving at 60, with your load.

This Op expects his trailer is 1000 lbs or less. Specs say it is around 1600 empty IIRC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey guys,
Curious how you all have gotten along.
Thanks
I didn't do it often, but I towed a 16' Hobie Cat behind my 2013 Abarth with no issues. Fuel economy sucked because of aerodynamics, but no problem cruising at 65 mph. We had then, and have now a more suitable vehicle for those kinds of duties, but within reason, you CAN tow with an Abarth. I bought the Curt hitch for the Abarth from etrailer and had no trouble installing it myself. Unfortunately, these days you need to purchase a wiring harness that's compatible with current canbus wiring in cars. For years I used to just tap into tail light, turn signal and stop light wires, adding dedicated turn signal lights to my trailers, but that "cheat" doesn't work anymore.

Obviously, one needs to always be conscious of added stopping distances required, and the incredibly short wheelbase of the tow vehicle, but what you're looking to do seems reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts