Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota reliablity, versus Fiat reliablity? Mmm, I wonder?

I've owned Toyota's for 20 years now, three trucks, a '91, a '92 and currently an 2006 Tacoma, all 4 cyclinders. All are without effort and never never break down. Solid, no squeaks, rattles, nothing. The engine never fails and always runs, strong.

I wonder how the reliabilty, long term will hold up, as it were, with these little Micro-cars? I really love the styling of the 500, but styling doesn't actually get me from A to B, the engine, gearbox and electrical system does. Then when I get there, the brakes stop me.

What say you all? :D

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
ALL manufacturers have their issues, even Toyota. since you own 4cyls, you may not be aware of the HUGE recall they had to do with their V6 trucks for leaking head gaskets. also some of their trucks had FRAMES that would literally rust into two pcs and had to be either replaced OR Toyota bought them back.

as I said, not picking on Toyota. its ALL manufacturers. personnally I've had great luck with really everything I've bought except a Pontiac G6 that had issues with the electric power steering which would LOCK UP while driving. they never did find the cause so I traded it off.

just as you can't say a company is horrible because of your particular experiences with it, one can't say a company never has problems just because you've never had an issue.

while today most of the assembly of vehicles is by computer controld robots, humans are still involved and as long as that continues, there will be mistakes made. its how the company reacts to their mistakes and corrects them that shows me whether or not they're someone I want to continue to business with.

so far, my FIAT hasn't let me down and neither has the company. :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Toyota reliablity, versus Fiat reliablity? Mmm, I wonder?....... Then when I get there, the brakes stop me.
funny, with all the bad press that Toyota has had the past year or so, that when bringing up reliability, you mention stopping. :p

·
Registered
825 Posts
No one can predict the future. I will say one thing - I rent a lot of cars, many of them Chryslers. I feel the fit and finish on the FIAT is superior to the Chargers, Avengers, and 300s I've driven. That's potentially a good sign.

Hopefully, FIAT's interest in Chrysler is more than just as a distribution mechanism.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So far it has been excellent. And yes I've had brand new cars breaking down during the first month. Twice. (Read: Mini Coopers).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Toyota reliablity, versus Fiat reliablity? Mmm, I wonder?

I've owned Toyota's for 20 years now, three trucks, a '91, a '92 and currently an 2006 Tacoma, all 4 cyclinders. All are without effort and never never break down.

What say you all? :D
[Jedi Voice]
This is not the car you are looking for.
[/Jedi Voice]

Someone has to keep buying those Toyota they keep selling, and that person is you.

If all you are after is a reliable truck, then the Fiat doesn't fit your needs in any single way (first off, its not a truck).

If you're looking for something that has the same (supposed/fictional) reliability of your Toyota, then you only need to look at Toyotas. There's an Echo just waiting for you at a dealership somewhere.

If you're looking for something with character and is incredibly fun to drive, then a Toyota is NOT the car you are looking for, and a Fiat might just be the thing you might want to consider purchasing.

But trying to gauge if the Fiat is going to be as reliable as your 3 Toyota Trucks is most likely going to be a let down for you in the long run. There is the possibility that nothing will ever go wrong with the Fiat, but if anything at all goes wrong, you are then going to hate the car because you have an expectation that the car just isn't aligned with.

BC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NO, I thought the Fiat was a Truck? :eek: Really, it's a small car? ;) Do I sense a tinge of defensiveness about Fiat's? Listen boys, I'm not attacking the Fiat - in fact, I really loved the drive in the manual and automatic Fiat's I drove two weeks ago. If you read my bio - I own an MGB, egad! an English car, that is mind you, 31 years old. She's reliable and never breaks down. I think owning a vehicle, Toyota or otherwise has much to do with the owner, versus just being a specific Brand. Now mind you - I do have 20 years of faith built into my Toyota's - however, that doesn't mean I can't make a switch to another brand of car. Toyota's aren't boring to drive, yo!

I will see about the Fiat and see how it unfolds as it relates to initial service, quality issues down the road and overall function in various seasons of the year, especially the long rainy winters here in Oregon; here in this country. Especially dealership services, how they take care (or don't) of their clients, warranties, etc. Hard to beat though Toyota's 10 year/100K powertrain warranty. As I recall, Fiat's got a 4 year, 50K warranty on powertrain. Not sure what the 'bumper-to-bumper is though?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah, it sounded like a reasonable question to me as well. I've got a Honda and a Mercedes, so I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and certainly would want to be closer to my CRX's reliability over its 180k and counting.

"Bumper-to-bumper" generally means anything on the car that's not a wear item or is a result of owner neglect, which leaves them some wiggle room, of course.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the "bumper to bumper" warranty time window? And do Oil changes come with the purchase for a period of time with any of your 500's, via the dealership?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
What is the "bumper to bumper" warranty time window? And do Oil changes come with the purchase for a period of time with any of your 500's, via the dealership?
'bumper to bumper' is 4/48 and yes, regularly scheduled maintenance is included for the first 3 years/36K miles.

beats the heck out of the Daimler built smart car. it comes with NO maintenance and only a 2/24 warranty....PERIOD. apparently MB doesn't have as much faith in their product as FIAT. LOL :)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
4 years/50,000 miles Mechanical Coverage
4 years/50,000 miles First Day Car Rental up to $30. Extended $30 per day Rental Allowance for up to 5 days. Bodywork not included.
3 years/36,000 miles no cost Scheduled Maintenance (includes oil changes, brakes, tires, wiper blades, etc)
4 years of Roadside Assistance
4 years Trip Interruption coverage

·
Registered
825 Posts
On a related note, wife had the opportunity to ride in a smart car yesterday. Today, riding around in the 500, she commented how much smoother the 500 rode, quieter shifting, less road noise, better quality materials, etc. The smart is maybe six months older than my 500 and has fewer miles on it.

Closing in on 11K miles and I'm not displeased yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
11,000 miles already, wow! When did you get your 500? And which 500 did you get, upgrades, etc? So no complaints whatsoever? Really?

On a related note, wife had the opportunity to ride in a smart car yesterday. Today, riding around in the 500, she commented how much smoother the 500 rode, quieter shifting, less road noise, better quality materials, etc. The smart is maybe six months older than my 500 and has fewer miles on it.

Closing in on 11K miles and I'm not displeased yet.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I took delivery 4/30. I have a Pop manual. No complaints, except for the "I wish it had..." kinds of things. Solid as a rock, no rattles, nothing like that.

Maybe I'm just easy to please! :cool:

Ryan

·
Registered
339 Posts
I traded my 2011 Corolla S for my Fiat 500. In the 15k miles I owned my corolla I had nothing but problems. Irregular engine Idle, jerky cruise control, loose steering wheel cover, glue on carpet in trunk, air bag cover fell off twice, bad map lights, passenger side visor came off...

Just writing it makes me hate my Corolla all over again. My parents drove Toyota for 18 years when they were quality products manufactured in Japan. I guess bringing the plant to Kentucky just turned those cars into barely better than Chinese vehicles. Never again a Toyota.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My history with Toyotas has been great and I've had a great love affair/obsession with their 1NZFE engined cars, some of which were modified beyond recognition...I'm also a car ***** so at any given time I've had up to four cars on the go between myself and my wife...

2001 Corolla S, 2004 Echo Hatch RS, 2004 Echo Hatch CE, 2005 Echo Hatch CE, 2006 Yaris RS, 2010 Yaris RS, 2006 Scion xB, 2006 RAV4 Limited...

They've always been reliable, but over the past few years, Toyota has lost its lustre in terms of keeping up with the sophisticated offerings of other makes...The "all-new" 2012 Yaris still has the 1NZFE engine from 1999, it still has the 4 speed automatic from 1999, I look under the hood and it looks exactly the same as the 2005 Echo I just sold...it has none of the premium options even Hyundai gives us now, and the interiors seem to be getting more plasticky in Toyotas while cheaper offerings from other brands are getting soft touches...

I understand why Toyota isn't adopting the new tech; it inherently will be less reliable at the outset and risks tarnishing their reliability figures; but that lack of innovation is exactly why my next car is an Abarth...Toyota isn't building any cars I'd want to buy/drive anymore (FRS notwithstanding); they are bland, safe, the option packages are expensive and lacklustre, and their styling has lost focus, so much so that a lot of the cars are feeling like they had five different designs but decided to combine them all...

I also am a huge follower of the JDM/EDM cars, I spent a fortune converting my 2010 Yaris to the JDM version (Vitz RS) because of all of the amazing options that are standard in other markets, which I felt we should have...Toyota has amazing, exciting variants in other markets of the same car models that they sell in North America as watered down reliable, fuel efficient grocery getters, and that has frustrated me for years...I look overseas and ask why can't I get that hotted up Yaris?...The answer is that North American marketers don't want to sell us a premium subcompact; they want us in a Camry or Highlander where margins/profits are higher (this is changing with some makes finally, but honestly it's been all Mini for ages)...

We still have a RAV4 in our garage, but my new car is going to be a 2012 Abarth...

Cheers

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Like someone mentioned, I think the car looks after you if you look after the car. My first car was a 1982 Grand Prix t-topper (which was supposedly junk) and in the 115,000 miles I owned it the car broke down twice due to faulty batteries (one brand new literally) I had it tuned up twice a year and changed the oil every 3000 and it ran like a Swiss watch. Since I have owned 7-8 new GM's, 4 new Ford"s (all Mustangs) one new Jeep and I have never had any problems with any of my North American junk so says the import lovers. I have no doubt that I will be into a brand new GT500 asap as the thought of having 650hp is just to much to pass up lol

·
Registered
650 Posts
My history with Toyotas has been great and I've had a great love affair/obsession with their 1NZFE engined cars, some of which were modified beyond recognition...I'm also a car ***** so at any given time I've had up to four cars on the go between myself and my wife...

2001 Corolla S, 2004 Echo Hatch RS, 2004 Echo Hatch CE, 2005 Echo Hatch CE, 2006 Yaris RS, 2010 Yaris RS, 2006 Scion xB, 2006 RAV4 Limited...

They've always been reliable, but over the past few years, Toyota has lost its lustre in terms of keeping up with the sophisticated offerings of other makes...The "all-new" 2012 Yaris still has the 1NZFE engine from 1999, it still has the 4 speed automatic from 1999, I look under the hood and it looks exactly the same as the 2005 Echo I just sold...it has none of the premium options even Hyundai gives us now, and the interiors seem to be getting more plasticky in Toyotas while cheaper offerings from other brands are getting soft touches...

I understand why Toyota isn't adopting the new tech; it inherently will be less reliable at the outset and risks tarnishing their reliability figures; but that lack of innovation is exactly why my next car is an Abarth...Toyota isn't building any cars I'd want to buy/drive anymore (FRS notwithstanding); they are bland, safe, the option packages are expensive and lacklustre, and their styling has lost focus, so much so that a lot of the cars are feeling like they had five different designs but decided to combine them all...

I also am a huge follower of the JDM/EDM cars, I spent a fortune converting my 2010 Yaris to the JDM version (Vitz RS) because of all of the amazing options that are standard in other markets, which I felt we should have...Toyota has amazing, exciting variants in other markets of the same car models that they sell in North America as watered down reliable, fuel efficient grocery getters, and that has frustrated me for years...I look overseas and ask why can't I get that hotted up Yaris?...The answer is that North American marketers don't want to sell us a premium subcompact; they want us in a Camry or Highlander where margins/profits are higher (this is changing with some makes finally, but honestly it's been all Mini for ages)...

We still have a RAV4 in our garage, but my new car is going to be a 2012 Abarth...

Cheers
Well said. The Matrix has been good to me, and at the same time has caused me a good couple of headaches. Dealership experiences have always been lukewarm. Unfortunately I find the Toyota approach to new vehicle design to be incredibly boring. The SCION brand doesn't speak much to me either, and in regards to the new FR-S, I am disappointed with most aspects of it.

I have faith in the FIAT brand and its return to the North American market, let's hope it counts for something. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts