Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the car has wheels/tires installed without tpms sensors, am I going to throw a CEL?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
not a check engine light, but a sensor error I believe.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u think the tpms light might be illuminated all the time? i will hate that.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:mad:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:mad::mad:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:mad::mad::mad::D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yup it does :( but it only flashes a couple times at start up, then stays on for the rest of the time, I have gotten used to it, because it seems like the more items you turn on in your car the more lights that turn on in the cluster. so its not really that much of an extra distraction.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Get Direct TV, and TPMS sensor, don't throw get mad. You'll end up play Patton with Charlie Sheen, or have a grand child with a dog collar.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very pleasure, but all your base no belong to us

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I say just get the sensors, if you get new wheels. Or black masking tape to place over the idiot light. Can't you use the sensors, off your old wheels?
My tires last fall where low on pressure on the way home, plus the oil change lamp was on. Drove me crazy.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yup it does :( but it only flashes a couple times at start up, then stays on for the rest of the time, I have gotten used to it, because it seems like the more items you turn on in your car the more lights that turn on in the cluster. so its not really that much of an extra distraction.
dumped500 and Lovar:

Im sorry that both of you are experiencing annoyances with this sensor... the tire pressure monitoring system is very sensitive to outside weather pressure and ambient temperature changes. Unfortunately, Ive seen it happen with other vehicles of the Chrysler brand as well (300, PT Cruiser, sebring, 200). When its warmer outside, air expands in the tire, but if there is a cold front, (or extreme cold) that light will most likely illuminate due to pressure drop. You can add air to the tires, but that's really all that can be done if the dealer/studio does not deem it defective. I know we are working on improving that system.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
well at this point I am leaning toward installing the original firehawks and tpms onto the new rota rb wheels. I wont have the sticky meats like I want but I'm not willing to go one ounce over the 32 lbs per corner that my current stock wheel/tire setup is.

that will then be my "street" tire and wheel setup, then for the pavement ripping days i have a set of 14" hollow spoke miata wheels (9.5 lbs per!) that i will powder coat red and put a set of 205/55-14 r nitto nto-1 or 555r's onto.

The oem firehawks gt's are light and fairly grippy, and the rotas will space them 15mm further out per side, so I think I will just be happy with that for now, and start working on the next lightweight mod... a light flywheel or some sparco seats.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
u think the tpms light might be illuminated all the time? i will hate that.
A little trick. If you have a spare tire, put the sensors inside the tire and fill it up. It will get rid of the light, but makes the spare useless....Your choice

·
Registered
313 Posts
dumped500 and Lovar:

Im sorry that both of you are experiencing annoyances with this sensor... the tire pressure monitoring system is very sensitive to outside weather pressure and ambient temperature changes. Unfortunately, Ive seen it happen with other vehicles of the Chrysler brand as well (300, PT Cruiser, sebring, 200). When its warmer outside, air expands in the tire, but if there is a cold front, (or extreme cold) that light will most likely illuminate due to pressure drop. You can add air to the tires, but that's really all that can be done if the dealer/studio does not deem it defective. I know we are working on improving that system.
I no longer have sensors in my wheels, this is what is causing my issues haha, is there any way the dealer can deactivate the tire monitoring system?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little trick. If you have a spare tire, put the sensors inside the tire and fill it up. It will get rid of the light, but makes the spare useless....Your choice
i like the idea! except then I'd have to add 32lbs of spare tire to the car and thats a mojo nono for this weight freak.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The sensor will stay lit solid. Electrical tape works well.
I used alot of black electrical tape in my '84 camaro in highschool... :) especially for the check engine light because of all of my engine modifications...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts