Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have owned my verde Chiaro Pop since July. I currently have about 4500 miles on it. It has been very reliable up to this point with one minor but annoying issue: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System does not work and the light stays on constantly. It says 'Tire Pressure Monitoring System Unavailable' every time I start the car. At first it was intermittent. Then it was on all the time. I have taken it to the local studio (Kearny Mesa FIAT) 5 times for this problem. At first they just kept reflashing the computer. It would go off for about 5 miles and then reappear. The last time, the car stayed in the shop for 4 days. They were very courteous and went out of their way to make things convenient for me (including picking up and returning the car), but they don't seem to be able to solve the problem. The light came on after about 100 miles.

I noticed another thread on this issue - about the sensitivity to temperature and tire pressure. My problem is different as the system just doesn't work at all. I also keep my tires between 30 and 35 psi. The little yellow light is located near the top of the speedo, so it is distracting and annoying when I monitor my speed. Also, although I feel that the system is a silly federally mandated safety issue (we know when we have a flat tire!), I worry about the possibility of other electrical glitches. Furthermore, what happens when I eventually go to sell the car with a malfunctioning federally-mandated safety feature proclaiming its malfunction on the speedo? I have a feeling that I will have to lower my asking price because of this.

Has anyone else had a problem with this feature? I wish I could just put a piece of electrical tape over the light, but it is under the speedo lens. I realize this is a minor issue, but it is a safety feature (on a car that does not come with a spare tire), not a malfunctioning radio. I am starting to wonder if this problem is solveable. It certainly has stumped my local studio. They are requesting a factory tech now, but I am not holding my breath.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your issues.

I would think they could replace the sensors to see if that makes a difference, I do not know how the actual system is designed to know if it is a replaceable module or completely integrated. I don't know what the tire pressure recommendations on the door of your car states but if you are keeping your tires at the proper level and this continues I certainly hope the "factory tech" can find a resolution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! So far, the dealer seems to be at a loss. I have recommended changing the sending units, but I think they tried that already. I mentioned to the service tech at the dealer that I was the 'lucky' one who got the malfunctioning car. He agreed.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Welcome. Sorry to read of this issue.

I would think, if they can't fix the issue, they'd need to replace the car. This is a safety feature, not an easy to scratch door panel. I don't see why you'd be forced to live with it for the duration of your ownership. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged. Contact FIAT Corporate. Contact FIATCares/Jonathan on this forum. By all means, continue to contact your LS regarding when they will finally be able to rid you of this issue and have you zipping around in a 500 with working safety features.

Keep us posted.

Best to you.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I had the same problem for a while. about 6 months ago, it stopped. Hasn't happened since. PFM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! Mine was intermittent at first, too. Now it is all the time. I noticed on another thread that it could also be an insurance issue to ignore a car's malfunctioning safety system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2012 pop just started the same issue - the TPMS light came on last Friday morning, with the same message on the dashboard - "TPMS unavailable" - tires are set to 35psi all around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is an annoying issue! My local studio has not gotten back to me yet. It seems as if nobody knows what to do about it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My TPMS light has been on for about a year no matter what the pressure and temp. A couple weeks ago it started working again on it's own but when the right front tire is low, it says the right rear is low. The TPMS sensors in my 2006 Honda Ridgeline have kept the light on for about 3 years now. I'm thinkin - these TPMS systems are probably not all they're cracked up to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue on my 2012 Pop. ( Tire Pressure Monitoring Unavailable - with a yellow symbol in the top right ) It started last week so I too it into the FIAT shop. They said they had no idea and tested the sensors. The light of course did not come on while it was there. It happens only when I start the car and goes off after a minute. It happens intermittently. I really need to find a solution because I plan to sell this car and upgrade in the next year or so but I'm sure that will cause an issue for me. The mechanic said he checked the sensors and there is no issue with them. Clearly there is an issue somewhere. he said they cannot replace them all because it would "look bad" and would not be covered. I called him again today and left a message about it but have not heard back. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Could it perhaps be the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
348 Posts
same problem, they replace the module for it once but it is still happening.. oddly enough the sensors actually work if you hit the button to check the air pressure but it still says it is unavalible

·
Registered
255 Posts
"Hit the button to check the air pressure"? I'm not aware of a way on my 2012 500 Sport to display the pressures in the tires; is there a way?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
"Hit the button to check the air pressure"? I'm not aware of a way on my 2012 500 Sport to display the pressures in the tires; is there a way?
There's a way to check the air pressure in the Display?? Please explain if someone knows.

I dont think I have these tire pressure monitoring things...'12Pop.
My tire got real low one time. No beep, light, nothing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm curious about the pressing the button thing myself...

This is an odd failure. I get a left wheel low on occasion and well, it's low!

I get alerted on startup. Does anyone know how the sensors transmit and how the car sees them? I seem to remember on Chevys with earlier systems you had to actually drive to see pressures but these newer setups seem to broadcast from the wheel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
652 Posts
There's a way to check the air pressure in the Display?? Please explain if someone knows.

I dont think I have these tire pressure monitoring things...'12Pop.
My tire got real low one time. No beep, light, nothing.
This is available on the Abarth, the menu list has the option to display tire pressures, my Pop did not

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just had the TPMS System Unavailable light and message come on in my 2012 Rosso Sport. I have the GTR 17" rims with the proper sensors I got from 500 Madness, and for the last two months it has worked fine. I took the car into our local Chrysler dealership (we have no Fiat dealer in the entire province, the nearest one is 4.5 hours away) and they had a look at it. They told me because I was using aftermarket rims and sensors that I was on my own and risked damaging the entire system. They said I either had to go back to my stock rims and tires (not likely) or put up with the light. I would assume that these aftermarket companies aren't dumb, and know how to make parts compatible with the vehicle they are making them for, so I guess I will just have to put up with the light for now if I want to use the $1500 rims and tires I've only had for two months. I guess I shouldn't really complain though, this dealer didn't even know how to reset the change oil warning message when I had the oil changed there once.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts