Fiat 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I thought I'd check in. I'm having the same problem. It is very intermittent and sometimes lasts a few hours to a few days. I never have the time to take it in when it is happening though. Renee is having the same problems with hers. They are clueless. She even called FIAT customer service and they claimed ignorance of the problem.
He lives...haha. Thinking about coming to Raleigh on Saturday morning (19th) for Cars and Coffee and might be a couple other Fiats around in case you're free Dave.

Good luck with the TPMS, luckily no issues on the former or current ride in that area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And so it begins. My "Tire Pressure Monitoring Unavailable" just started today at 4400 miles. Setting dealer appointment ASAP, it is their problem to fix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stopping by with an update to my "TPMS Unavailable" problem that I had been having.

Dealer updated my car's computer and the problem has since gone away completely. Hopefully others have similar luck because I feel their pain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The TMPS sensors in your tires have batteries that need to be replaced after a variable amount of time depending on various conditions such as outside temperature and how often tire pressure is checked by the TPMS system.

If one or more of the sensor batteries is dead you'll get the TPMS Unavailable error.

Your local dealership can check and repair the sensors in your tires. They are generic sensors. You might be able to buy them cheaper at your local tire store than at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The TMPS sensors in your tires have batteries that need to be replaced after a variable amount of time depending on various conditions such as outside temperature and how often tire pressure is checked by the TPMS system.

If one or more of the sensor batteries is dead you'll get the TPMS Unavailable error.

Your local dealership can check and repair the sensors in your tires. They are generic sensors. You might be able to buy them cheaper at your local tire store than at the dealership.
Dealer charges about $75 per sensor, ebay cost is around $12.50 per sensor. Batteries on them tend to last around 7 yrs minimum with some going longer I believe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will bump this thread again. Earlier in the heat of the summer (not sure it's related to that at all) This would happen to the car almost every time I started it for a few months, then gradually went away before I had time to bring it to the dealership. It's very frustrating as an owner, and I'm sure for a service dept trying to track down an electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My TPMS problem was ultimately traced to a faulty BCM (body control module) that is the receiver for the TPMS sensors radio frequencies. Replaced under warranty and no problems since.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Does anybody know what would happen if the TPMS module as well as all four sensors were removed?
If I had to guess the light would remain on as if there was a fault due to the module being removed. My other guess is there MIGHT be a way to disable it or the TPMS functionality using Multiecuscan but that's only a guess at best.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
This just started in my 2012 500 Sport. Very annoying. Checked all the tires, pressure all good. Another thing, just replaced the right DLR this morning and on the way home...out again. Will take apart and put back together, maybe not a tight connection. Any thoughts?
My front right sensor went out last spring. Dealer diagnosed it got code. Replaced the sensor on the wheel. Been fine ever since. I was told the battery in them go out. It was covered under my warranty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Does anybody know what would happen if the TPMS module as well as all four sensors were removed?
There's not a "TPMS module" since this functionality is built in to the BCM. (Body Control Module)

The receiver (essentially a radio antenna) may be separate, and in some cases there are multiple but removing them would be analogous to removing the sensors.

The error "TPMS UNAVAILABLE" is a bit confusing... that leads the driver to believe the system is unavailable when in fact, it's the sensor that's unavailable. In this context you could read "TPMS" to mean tire pressure monitoring sensor, not system.

That's not to say there isn't something wrong with the BCM or the wiring or the receiver module(s) as opposed to the sensors themselves; only that this error isn't restricted to those components and could very well be a dead battery or a faulty sensor.

-Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is my experience.

"TPMS Unavailable" message came up, but I knew for sure the tire pressure was OK, so I ignored it for a while. Then I replaced all 4 tires (not at the Studio), because they were low on thread. I asked the mechanic guy whether he could turn off the tire light, but he said he couldn't read any signals, which might indicate the sensors were either broken or out of battery. I took the car to the Studio, but they didn't want to replace the sensors under warranty, because the tires (or stems or whatever that goes with the tires) weren't the original parts. It would cost me about $480 ($120 per tire) to replace the sensors.

I did some googling and bought 4 sensors (part# 56029398AB, it's for Chrysler/Jeep, but they fit perfect) online for $35. My car was out of warranty by then, so I took it to a local tire shop and asked them to install the sensors. I did end up paying for wheel balancing, which might not be necessary. It's been a few weeks, and so far, no more tire light.
__
sol

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Finally! I joined the forum in 2010 and this is my first "issue" out of the thousands I have read about that I can confirm. And that's how you know it's a legitimate issue, everybody has it. I simply went back to checking my tires with a gauge periodically. It's a strain on my psyche, but one I can abide.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My tire guy and I are wondering why my TPMS unavailable message shows up when I pass a certain point in the road.
Dry, or wet, when I pass this farm complex, 5 times out of 7 days, the message shows up as I pass by.
The tires are new, Yokohama Ice Guards, mounted on FIAT Pop wheels with brand new sensors.
We have considered it happening after a certain mileage from my home to that farm; I am wondering if there are some stray EM signals coming from the sheep or cows.
About 10 miles later, the light goes back off.
The really odd thing is that the warning light comes on only in the day, not at night.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine just starting doing this again last night after struggling with it for the first 6 months of ownership. If I go into the menus it reads all the tire pressures just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got it right now. Last week my BCM glitched and my headlights would stay on no matter what killing my battery. Got it replaced by dealership last friday. Today is Tuesday and I've just got TPMS Unavailable. Either new BCM is bad, my new garage has some em issues or battery is too weak. 96k miles, car's 5th birthday this month.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
My batteries in my TPMS, died, a couple days ago. I just going to ignore, it when it first flashes, and gives me the message. It shuts off a half blocks of driving. Next time, I replace my tires. I'll get them replace. My car is now 6 years old next week. I'll just have to watch the air in the tires, like the old days.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My batteries in my TPMS, died, a couple days ago. I just going to ignore, it when it first flashes, and gives me the message. It shuts off a half blocks of driving. Next time, I replace my tires. I'll get them replace. My car is now 6 years old next week. I'll just have to watch the air in the tires, like the old days.
We can all thank Ford and their "well engineered" Explorer for this great federal mandated technology. I rather go "old school" myself and check the tires every couple of weeks with a gauge when they are cold.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts