Fiat 500 Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
We can all thank Ford and their "well engineered" Explorer for this great federal mandated technology. I rather go "old school" myself and check the tires every couple of weeks with a gauge when they are cold.
I'm on the other side of the fence. I like tech that can inform me, at any time, of something so critical as tire pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm on the other side of the fence. I like tech that can inform me, at any time, of something so critical as tire pressure.

I am with you to a degree, I love technology as well and many things in new cars such as traction control, stability control, anti-lock brakes etc are great advances and really do provide safety. The TPMS however, in my opinion is more trouble than it is worth. The batteries in the valve stems go bad (sometimes well before the tires wear out), there are problems with malfunctions etc. One should always manually inspect tires on a consistent basis (a lot) for potential foreign objects and side wall damage, cracking etc. I think the TPMS has provided us a false sense of security regarding our tires and that was really my point. I still like "old school" when it comes to my tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just started in my 2012 500 Sport. Had flat tire. light went on.
Purchase
4vnew firestone tires at firestone. light still stayed on. Went back to Firestone dealer and he checked all tires for pressure and that the tpsi monitors in each tire were working. All were ok. Drove car for 30 miniates light still on. call firestone was told not his problem to shut off waring light go to dealer. Any suggestions

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
We can all thank Ford and their "well engineered" Explorer for this great federal mandated technology. I rather go "old school" myself and check the tires every couple of weeks with a gauge when they are cold.
My car now, is over 7 years old. Still haven’t replace them. The low tire icon, flashes for a few seconds, at start up. Just ignore it. Fill the tires, when their low.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Resurecting this old post. I just did the change over to snows from summer tires and the next day the car gave the "tire pressure monitoring unavailable" message. The car is 7 years old and 99k. Coincidence, possibly, but I also run 37 lbs all around with the snows and maybe the sensors just dont like it.

I think that I am just going to ignore it until the next oil change and see what the dealer says, or wait till spring when I do the change over and put in 4 fresh sensors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Now it's my problem too. the dreaded half tire with the exclamation point in the middle! My EVIC is reading all tires except the RR. I checked the pressure in that one...its fine.

So if anyone is still following this thread...are the fixes we came up with:
1. replace all the sensors in the tires because the batts are, or are going bad? =$$
2. replace the body contraol module because IT is bad = $$$
3. drill a hole through the dash, into the light bulb because THIS IS THE ONLY **** LIGHT IN THE CAR THAT WILL NEVER BURN OUT BY ITSELF!?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have since changed to summer tread, and now back to the snows. I now get a right front tire low message, which is incorrect since the tire pressure is normal. So that may be the bad sensor that started this whole thing and of course I'm going to kick this problem down the road and maybe replace the sensor next spring.

My son drives the car now so he has to look at the idiot light. But he's used to it I'm sure.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yep, the batteries can fail after 5 years... longer if you don't drive the car much. You can have the sensors scanned at a tire shop or wait for the next tire rotation to see if the fault follows. If you aren't replacing tires, no need to replace all the sensors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well - not aiming to throw gasoline on a dying fire - but: here in Europe, we get the other TPMS system - the one that relies on the ABS sysstem to measure wheel rotation speed.
So far I have had no issues - car is a '16 model, 1. registered Nov. 2015 and has just passed 70 K KM.
I've been behind the wheel for 6 months / 11.000 K Km.
Seems to work fine only lit up once - with just cause.
So - a TPMS can work - even the battery operated system which we have in our Renault Captur.
That system also works fine - apart from my winter tyres - but I boought those without sensors, so I know who's fault it is ;o)

·
Registered
2 Posts
TPMS unavailable just happened to me today. I have had my 500 for six years.

I believe this happened as a result of my new location, where it is colder than where I used to live. I was driving in very cold conditions the other day. Went to the store. Came out and started up and saw the new message. However, the days afterward have been normal; the light remains on.

I did some online looking. This is what I found on a Fiat instruction manual website:

Check TPMS Warnings
The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will flash on and off for 75 seconds and remain on solid when a system fault is detected, and the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Unavailable” text message will display. If the ignition key is cycled, this sequence will repeat providing the system fault still exists. The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will turn off when the fault condition no longer exists. A system fault can occur with any of the following scenarios:
1. Jamming due to electronic devices or driving next to facilities emitting the same radio frequencies as the TPM sensors.
2. Installing some form of aftermarket window tinting that affects radio wave signals.
3. Snow or ice around the wheels or wheel housings.
4. Using tire chains on the vehicle.
5. Using wheels/tires not equipped with TPM sensors.

After reading this, I believe that this doesn't mean the sensor is broken or anything, like I was reading in this thread on the first few pages. I think it has to do with varying conditions such as climate and this list provided by Fiat. But, it will suck if it stays on perpetually now. I don't like warning lights! Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
TPMS unavailable just happened to me today. I have had my 500 for six years.

I believe this happened as a result of my new location, where it is colder than where I used to live. I was driving in very cold conditions the other day. Went to the store. Came out and started up and saw the new message. However, the days afterward have been normal; the light remains on.

I did some online looking. This is what I found on a Fiat instruction manual website:

Check TPMS Warnings
The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will flash on and off for 75 seconds and remain on solid when a system fault is detected, and the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Unavailable” text message will display. If the ignition key is cycled, this sequence will repeat providing the system fault still exists. The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will turn off when the fault condition no longer exists. A system fault can occur with any of the following scenarios:
1. Jamming due to electronic devices or driving next to facilities emitting the same radio frequencies as the TPM sensors.
2. Installing some form of aftermarket window tinting that affects radio wave signals.
3. Snow or ice around the wheels or wheel housings.
4. Using tire chains on the vehicle.
5. Using wheels/tires not equipped with TPM sensors.

After reading this, I believe that this doesn't mean the sensor is broken or anything, like I was reading in this thread on the first few pages. I think it has to do with varying conditions such as climate and this list provided by Fiat. But, it will suck if it stays on perpetually now. I don't like warning lights! Thanks.
So...did you check the tire pressure? That's what it's for. A battery could have gone dead after six years also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So...did you check the tire pressure? That's what it's for. A battery could have gone dead after six years also.
I'm going to check it soon, but I don't think that's the issue. If it was, it would have given me the "Check tire pressure" message and showed the psi for whichever tires were low. I have had this many times over the years. This new message is not that one. This message says that "TPMS is unavailable." This is not a low tire pressure message.

·
Registered
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth with an intermitant thunk noise up front, a P006D, and a Tire Pressure Malfunct
13 Posts
Same issue here. Need to check if my TPMS is dead.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts