Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue Bella's first track day! Sadly no photos of her on the track (it did happen, lol) as I was too busy driving but I do have a pic of the road course. Will try to figure out some on-board cam action next time.

I am pleased to say that she did better than I expected. Did I get smoked repeatedly by other cars - oh yeah - but it took Porsches, Corvettes, a Ferrari F430, my beloved's RX-8 (yeah, he was grinning) and a few other race prep cars to do it. :p

Top speed was about 80mph on the back (longest) straight - a big change from the buck and change with the Crossfire. Braking was much better than expected with everything stock - didn't even cook them even though they got fairly toasty. Despite that, there was no brake fade at all and no smoking.

Corners were more than acceptable for the fairly tall, un-aerodynamic wee one. She has that tight turn-in with the front wheel drive but no rear wheel goodness to punch you out hard and fast. Which is okay since "fast" isn't really happening, lol. Definite lag coming out of corners even geared low and slightly squealing. VERY suggestible handling as in keep your line and this light little car will go exactly where you point her. No twitching allowed because this light little car will go exactly where you point her! ;)

She does easily hold the line as she is not a sportscar thus lacking the animal grunt and thrill. She does give a thrill of her own with amazingly tight corners - you can hug the inside line all day long - literally.

So - not fast nor powerful but super easy to manuever and stupidly good fun. No fear as she can't really get out of her own way nor anyone else's, lol. But that constant control without fear lends a different kind of fun as you can just be goofy and rail her around without worrying about hitting a corner too hot.

I give her a B+ for effort and look forward to taking her back out despite the slowest lap times of my life and slight snarkiness of mainly the Corvette owners. :D

She did get compliments from no less then a Shelby Cobra owner and a fellow from the UK - not sure what he was driving but he was thrilled to see Americans having fun with tiny cars. Oh and the only other tiny car there (old VW golf) wouldn't go out on the track the same time as me - dang it - intimidated maybe? Doubtful but I'll pretend that, bwahaha! ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Your comment about "coming out of corners fast" I notice in daily driving on the street, auto tranny and no matter if Sport mode is on or off unless I am seriously on it I don't care much for the slow out of corners feel, also miss the RWD aspect of being pushed rather than pulled with the FWD. Loved reading your post, sounded so fun and with so much detail I can almost imagine it like I was there!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like fun.

Which model are you driving? Did you modulate the throttle a little and coax out some oversteer?

·
Registered
341 Posts
She did three rounds of about 6 laps.

With the car being as light as it is, the brakes really don't get too much of a workout since the car isn't coming down from triple digit speeds.

Also, the stock compound on the brakes are FF pads, so not too bad.

BC.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sport - everything stock at this point including the Contis at rec psi. I didn't alter it for the track so that's what - 35 in front, 34 in back if memory serves? I have never been a fan of Continentals - I will be changing them out come springtime. Having said that, the Contis weren't horrible on the track - they were pretty much neutral, not a huge detraction but not sticky goodness either. Then again, it's not like they are being pushed to their limits with the stock Sport. Slide was minimal.

I like getting a base level for the cars at stock and really getting to know the car's reactions and the track is a fun way to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.