Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to installed the Curt trailer hitch and even used their wiring kit (pretty decent but wiring almost too short for taillights). As part of the wiring you're simply told to run a positive (hot) wire directly from the battery terminal to the rear but I can't find any simple way to do this.

For those of you who have installed a trailer, where did you run the wire to keep it safe and hidden?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a lot of these installs on Subarus. I would usually route the wire through the interior, under the carpet, and close to the doors. Rather than go through the firewall to the battery, I would tap into the 12v cigarette lighter wires.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You can also run it underneath the length of the car, fastening it to various points to keep it from sagging.
Of course, a lift would make this a good-deal easier.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a perfect wiring route. Check this out.

Ran the wire from the battery to the back of the brake lines. (snugged it down later)

At the bottom of the car, along the firewall I managed to sneak the wire into this plastic cover where the brake lines bend. (red line indicating power wire)

From there I followed the plastic cover/channel for the brake lines

And most importantly, here is a nice existing grommet exactly where the brake channel ends.

It pops out at the rear passenger foot area. You need to remove the lower part of the rear seat, but that's two bolts.

From there I put it in some protective shielding to prevent any rubbing through the insulation, ran it under the carpet in the trunk and was done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've managed to installed the Curt trailer hitch and even used their wiring kit (pretty decent but wiring almost too short for taillights). As part of the wiring you're simply told to run a positive (hot) wire directly from the battery terminal to the rear but I can't find any simple way to do this.

For those of you who have installed a trailer, where did you run the wire to keep it safe and hidden?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you tell me how you got a tow bar attached to your Abarth, please? Indespension, the main tow bar company in the UK, tell me they can’t do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts