Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
am new here and i need the advice of some expert because am facing a big problem with my upgrade
i own a 500 2012 model but i wanted to upgrade the car from manual to automatic tans.
bought the auto trans. and wiring and after connecting everything together the car starts but its like there is no transmission / no shifts of even the ecu seeing there is an auto transmission connected ?
any help ???

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Did you purchase, a cars computer. That that recognizes A automatic transmission. The software to run it too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ohmigod Beso, My girlfriend wants me to do this to MY 2013 Pop! Before I bought it, she told me she could drive a manual, and may want to take it for a spin once I got it home. The first time she got in it, (passenger) she was like "What kind of transmission IS this?"
So, I kindly noted that it was a manual, and she should not be asking this question if she EVER wanted to drive it!

She said she "Could drive a manual. Like the VW bug used to have...but it didn't have that other pedal next to the brake"

So - she can basically drive an auto-stick, where you push the shifter around to change gears, but it's still an automatic.

Now she wants me to put an autimatic in my car so she can drive it.

So, Beso - how much have you spent so far to get the automatic and install it...plus the computer, which I agree with Smark - is a neseccary part of the equation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RobSmith, Just teach her to drive the stick it will be much faster (a day or two in a rental that has a manual) and much cheaper. Even if you used your car its doubtful she would cause you to replace the entire manual trans which would still be cheaper than switching to an auto and all the changes that you would need to do, ECU ect…..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm! Hadn't even thought about the rental car idea! Good call! I'll give her that option and tell her I'll even pay for it.

Thanks!

RobSmith, Just teach her to drive the stick it will be much faster (a day or two in a rental that has a manual) and much cheaper. Even if you used your car its doubtful she would cause you to replace the entire manual trans which would still be cheaper than switching to an auto and all the changes that you would need to do, ECU ect…..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Let us know if you can rent a manual tranny. I don't know of a rental agency that has one. It's not like she's going to hurt your car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"It's not like she's going to hurt your car."

Map, you haven't seen her in action...

Also, you're right about the manual tranny thing. We aren't in Europe here....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m in Orlando on Turo thee are several manual trans cars for rent in my area. A 5 speed Slingshot for 80 bucks a day.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Map, you haven't seen her in action...
:unsure: Yeah, I thought the same with my wife... but she learned very quickly. The Fiat isn't a hard car to drive.... not like my new Neon that even I had trouble re-learning to drive.

Another alternative is to check if there's a driving school near enough. Some of those schools offer specialized (one-on-one) training for $100 an hour. Then you don't have to risk your relationship.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’m in Orlando on Turo thee are several manual trans cars for rent in my area. A 5 speed Slingshot for 80 bucks a day.
Hey Nygaard, I checked Turo. Great idea. There are three manuals within 10 miles, but only one Fiat, and it's about 15 miles away. Still, I'm going to keep this idea in reserve!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
hello everyone
am new here and i need the advice of some expert because am facing a big problem with my upgrade
i own a 500 2012 model but i wanted to upgrade the car from manual to automatic tans.
bought the auto trans. and wiring and after connecting everything together the car starts but its like there is no transmission / no shifts of even the ecu seeing there is an auto transmission connected ?
any help ???
You did? Wow. I’m guessing that the ECU needs turn it on. But my question is, why? I swapped auto to manual once (on an SVX), but never considered the other way around. Considering the amount of work that it takes (I mean, it’s not just swapping a transmission which is pretty simple, but the electronics, pedal box, cables, all that, that’s a lot of tedious stuff), I’d rather just sell the car, and buy one with auto trans.

Or burn it down and collect insurance to pay for the one with auto.

I’m just kidding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YOU SHOULD CARRY OUT a proxy PROCEDURE. using alfaobd, in the vehicle configuration, select the automatic transmission and write to ecu, after that everything should go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts