Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a 2012 Pop 5-speed. lately, more-so than usual, I am not engaging reverse. when shifting into gear I get about half way which is just enough to grind a lot and then slip out of gear. Eventually I do engage the gear but it may take me three or more tries.
This doesn't seem like a manufacturer defect, more of driver error. If you know what I am referring to, what am i doing wrong? This isn't my first manual tranny car, but the first time I have encountered this issue.

Oh also, I have an Abarth shifter instead of the Pop one and I have no "lock-out".

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that YES I am pushing the clutch pedal to the firewall, the problem still persists.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Let's start simple, are you shifting into first gear before trying to shift in reverse?

·
Registered
656 Posts
When the car came new there should have been a tag on the gear shift that said something along the lines of the car being at full stop and pausing before engaging reverse. Here is the page from the owners manual that addresses how to shift into reverse.

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Ive noticed that hill assist can effect it too...when you try and go in reverse the brakes have the axles in a solid state instead of a relaxed state cause of hill assist. Turn it off and see what happens. I currently have mine off and it seems to go in reverse alot better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the hill assist on and no trouble engaging reverse. All hill assist does is keep the brakes on for a couple of seconds so it is no different then having your foot on the brake as you shift into reverse, something that would be recommended in any case.

Gerhard

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill try the hill assist and report back. and Steve-O, i got a surprise in store for Oliver. some new shoes are going on tomorrow!!!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
This reminds me of a conversation I've had with my friend -our Mailman. I shared with Mike that when I drive in parking lots in first gear and am applying a tiny bit of throttle, that my car surges. Mike told me that this is 'driver error'. The circumstance persists and I accept his assessment.

Mike used to race motorcycles, which leads me to suspect that he knows more about vehicles than I (and possibly, kayandjohn...? :) ).

My method of addressing the 'reverse gear entrance' issue is to 'slam' the gear shift into the reverse position. Failing that, I sometimes experience grinding. My fault.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unfortunately i wasnt able to test the car out. rain outside and bald tires means taking my dad's car. but 650hp on 295 spec tires may have been a much worse choice. but ill try it tomorrow after i get my new tires!

·
Registered
856 Posts
i have the exact same problem since day one on my Abarth...
I thought I was normal but now that I have driven other abarths, I should take it to the dealer and have them check it out..

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same problem on my Abarth almost every time if I go straight into reverse (doing it how the owner's manual says of course, full stop with a pause), but only sometimes if I put it into third, then into reverse. I was told this happens because the reverse gear doesn't have a synchro (I could be 100% wrong on this so don't hold me to it). I have had other manual transmission cars that I have been able to put into reverse while still rolling forward, a bit annoying that I can't do it in the Abarth but what can ya do. Come to think of it now, first gear is a bit of a struggle sometimes too...

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
grats on the new shoes ;) hope the install went without a hassle!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i got an update for those that are experiencing this annoyance. shifting into 4th instead of 1st or 3rd works better. dont know why but it just has so far.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sure did! hit 4th three times and it worked. hill assist didnt help though

·
Registered
856 Posts
So i got an update for those that are experiencing this annoyance. shifting into 4th instead of 1st or 3rd works better. dont know why but it just has so far.
With me, some times when it doesnt go down like its suppose to, it wont go down at all. Gear stays in the middle of the reverse gear and wont go in. So have to move the car a bit (first gear and move up a bit) and going to reverse when car stops.

When i go to the studiob i will report back here!

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
sure did! hit 4th three times and it worked. hill assist didnt help though
This is why the forums are here, learning from one another. :)

With me, some times when it doesnt go down like its suppose to, it wont go down at all. Gear stays in the middle of the reverse gear and wont go in. So have to move the car a bit (first gear and move up a bit) and going to reverse when car stops.

When i go to the studiob i will report back here!

I notice a little roll helps a LOT so you're not alone with that one, pretty much though the 4th to reverse takes care of things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used fiat 500 pop 2012, 2 days ago. I thought I had reverse problems, so came to this forum for help. My little brother hops into the drivers seat to take it for a spin, and I tell him to not get into a situation that requires reverse. He is suddenly driving reverse no problem! There is a plunger you pull up on as a safety feature to go into reverse. This post is for everyone who doesn't have a mechanical problem with their shifter! Sorry for the basic info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts