Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've searched and haven't found anything that matches, but apologies I'd I missed something...

When I stop to fill up the gas tank the pump constantly clicks off, as if its full. This has happened both times (still so new that I've only had to do this twice), at two different stations. I've tried positioning the nozzle differently, squeezing for slower flow rate, but nothing helps. So I've had to go with my best guesstimate based on the amount of fuel I think I've used and fill-click, fill-click, fill-click until I get close to that point. Apart from making it impossible to check mileage or know when the tank is full, it's really annoying!

Anyone else run into this? For the record, I've been filling gas tanks on cars for a whole lotta years, and this is definitely an anomaly.

Thanks in advance for any tips or commiseration!

- Kevin

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Never had that issue with this car during the year that I've owned it.

I do know what you mean though, as I've experienced it at a couple of stations with a different vehicle. The only solution was to fill it really slowly so that it didn't stop before done, then never go back to those stations.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
This is probably not even remotely likely and being that the car is so new this there is a slight possibility that air cannot get out of the tank as gas goes in, this can happen if the tube flattens or even in one case when the vent hose was actually clogged (happened to my grandmother). Just a thought and worth mention although I am not familiar with the way the FIAT accomplishes the venting.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My wife rarely fills her car up because I do it and she had the same problem, I think its just the pump sitting weird in there to be honest -- when I fill up what I've noticed is that holding the nozzle in about the center of the fill tube seems to work better than just letting it rest on the bottom, I imagine the neck makes a pretty sharp turn because of the size of the car and its just a matter of finding that sweet spot, after you've had to fill it up a few more times i'll think you'll get the hang of it..... we've had three now and I don't even think about it anymore, just top it off and go!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm so happy having to put only 10 gallons in the Fiat that i'd use a spoon if i had to! My truck - 32 gallons, my van 35 gallons :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, for the quick feedback. Looks like maybe this is just a sensitive filler neck and maybe more prone to being triggered by more aggressive/higher pressure pumps? I'll keep trying to find the sweet spot, then, for the pump nozzle and see if I can get it to stop clicking off constantly.

The good news is that my mileage so far has been so good that I don't get many opportunities to keep testing this process. :)

- Kevin

·
Registered
100 Posts
I thought I remembered reading a thread about someone who had the same issue. I think the filler hose was kinked or some valve to prevent gas from splashing out of the tank was not functioning properly. If it continues for you, I'd visit the studio, see if one of the staff wants to go for a quick ride and show give it a try. If they have a problem too they might want to look deeper.

Hey!! I found it:
http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/8-fiat-500-general-discussion-forum/2638-gas-tank-issues-500-pop-2012-a-2.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, CamperDave - this is exactly the same issue. If my next fill up brings more of same, I'll be taking it back to the studio (with the fuel gauge reading room to add more gas) to have them look at the filler tube and/or fill valve.

- Kevin

I thought I remembered reading a thread about someone who had the same issue. I think the filler hose was kinked or some valve to prevent gas from splashing out of the tank was not functioning properly. If it continues for you, I'd visit the studio, see if one of the staff wants to go for a quick ride and show give it a try. If they have a problem too they might want to look deeper.

Hey!! I found it:
http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/8-fiat-500-general-discussion-forum/2638-gas-tank-issues-500-pop-2012-a-2.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
This has happened to me a few times in my Fiat... But, it has also happened to me in other vehicles I have owned as well... Sometimes i think it may be with the gas pump itself, depending on how you set the dispenser nozzle in the hole... Also I don't know if that rubber piece at the end if it's not completely covering the inlet if it has anything do with trapping vapors and triggers anything to stop the pump ???

Either way it happens, and it's not vehicle specific, at least from my experiences...

Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have this problem at Sams Club pumps. I have to rotate the handle backwards and fill slowly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You have a problem somewhere in the evaporative emissions system. Something is blocking the vent and causing you this problem. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it. It is a warranty item and can be a real bear to track down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a problem somewhere in the evaporative emissions system. Something is blocking the vent and causing you this problem. Take it to the dealer and let them fix it. It is a warranty item and can be a real bear to track down.
Thanks for the recommendation. It does look like a trip to the studio is in order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have had the same issue, but i figured it out! If you are at a gas station that has old (pumps-dispensors) they dont sit right in the fuel neck of the fiat.
try a (newer) gas station and see if the problem still happens. i just use the new shell or stripes or cheveron. ( all made withing the last 3-4 years )

hope that helps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have had the same issue, but i figured it out! If you are at a gas station that has old (pumps-dispensors) they dont sit right in the fuel neck of the fiat.
try a (newer) gas station and see if the problem still happens. i just use the new shell or stripes or cheveron. ( all made withing the last 3-4 years )

hope that helps!
Hmmm... I'll give that a shot. The last one I used was a newer Shell station (new pumps within last 4 yrs), but maybe not the latest design.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to seek out only new stations when I take a road trip... :-/

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi all,

I've searched and haven't found anything that matches, but apologies I'd I missed something...

When I stop to fill up the gas tank the pump constantly clicks off, as if its full....
I have a 2012 Pop. and had this problem too!

A cute pump attendant at COSTCO set me straight one day after she heard me clicking away. She told me she's helped many other people with FIAT'S and found if you hold the handle at the approximate 7:30 position the pump will flow gas without stopping. I tried it. It works!!

Reference: 6:00 position would have the hose end of the handle pointing straight down to the ground.

Hope that helps you!
..rickko..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2012 Pop. and had this problem too!

A cute pump attendant at COSTCO set me straight one day after she heard me clicking away. She told me she's helped many other people with FIAT'S and found if you hold the handle at the approximate 7:30 position the pump will flow gas without stopping. I tried it. It works!!

Reference: 6:00 position would have the hose end of the handle pointing straight down to the ground.

Hope that helps you!
..rickko..
Hey, it's worth a shot before I schedule appointment at the studio. I'll get a chance to fill up this weekend, so we'll see. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts