Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
This has happened to me with just about every car I've owned, including the Fiat. I vote on cheap pumps. At my local Murphies Station, I pull the nozzle out about a half an inch and all is well.

Disclosure: This is my first Non-Dodge (Although Fiat is Chrysler) and non-BMW in the past 15 years. Its probably the pump... as more times than not, at other stations, it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a 2012 Pop. and had this problem too!

A cute pump attendant at COSTCO set me straight one day after she heard me clicking away. She told me she's helped many other people with FIAT'S and found if you hold the handle at the approximate 7:30 position the pump will flow gas without stopping. I tried it. It works!!

Reference: 6:00 position would have the hose end of the handle pointing straight down to the ground.

Hope that helps you!
..rickko..
This is true! This is what I have to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Follow up to my original post: I filled up at a totally different station this morning and had no trouble filling the tank whatsoever. Didn't have to pull the nozzle out part way, didn't have to **** it at a particular angle, and it didn't click off until the tank was truly full.

So... either the problem healed itself or the two pumps I tried before were the problem (and/or the Fiat is a lot more sensitive to the pressure at the nozzle).

- Kevin

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Follow up to my original post: I filled up at a totally different station this morning and had no trouble filling the tank whatsoever. Didn't have to pull the nozzle out part way, didn't have to **** it at a particular angle, and it didn't click off until the tank was truly full.

So... either the problem healed itself or the two pumps I tried before were the problem (and/or the Fiat is a lot more sensitive to the pressure at the nozzle).

- Kevin

Um... Not sure why the four stars appeared in my previous post. It doesn't stand for any expletive, but it sure looks that way now!

I'm gonna go with.....hmmmmm.... the male chicken :D
Yes, the filter doesn't like **** ;).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to jump in here since I today have had a lot of experience with this problem. Or should I say I have been plagued with it. I have a 2012 500 and just under a year ago I began to experience this problem with not being able to put fuel in my tank without it shutting off continually. I too was concerned that maybe someone had tried to siphon gas and messed up the inlet check valve (sometimes called the rollover valve), but to assure one person here who was concerned about this problem, I have verified that is not the case. Being in warranty, I took the car to the dealer in San Antonio and they inspected the car and said the fuel tank was defective and would have to be replaced. There seem to be three valves in this tank that are not replaceable. So the dealer replaced the tank and I was back on the road and the problem was gone. Mileage 32,500. Jump ahead about seven months and less than 4000 miles later the problem came back. I called the dealer that had originally done the repair and they were no long in the business of selling or servicing Fiat. So I called the one remaining dealer in town and told them my problem. After 4000 miles and seven months the service writer told the car was out of new car warranty by a few months and was reluctant to say the tank itself was still under warranty but she would check. She called me back within about 15 minutes and said the tank was under warranty and I was surprised to here her claim it was under warranty for 2yrs/24k miles. So she made an appointment for me to bring the car in. Unfortunately it was for about 1 1/2 months later. So, in January, the day before the appt I called to find out how long they would have the car. It seems that this dealer was now closed too, i.e., not selling or servicing Fiat any longer. I called Fiat USA and they said I would have to call and make an appointment to have the car repaired in Austin. So, I called Austin Fiat and told them my story. They said the tank was not under warranty because it was installed during the new car warranty and all warranties ended when the new car warranty ended. He seemed ok with it telling me that had the tank been replaced one day before the car's new car warranty ended, then the tank would be warrantied for only one day. He said I could call Fiat USA back so I did, and politely bitched! They didn't seem to care. Fiat Austin then called me back and said if I brought the car in they would diagnose the problem and not charge me for the diagnosis, just the repair. That would save me about $129.00. I would just have to pay for the $700.00 tank if it was defective again. I declined. A week or two later FiatUSA calls me back and tells me that they would like to close this case they had on me and ask that I take the car to Austin and pending the situation they would see what they could do for me. Austin's Fiat dealer is an hour and a half drive away and I already knew there were no perks for my trouble, like a rental car or towing etc. I agreed though to take it in. I drove it up on a Saturday and they called me on Monday or Tuesday and said the rollover valve was bad and asked if I wanted the tank replaced at my expense. I said no, that I would pick the car up on Wednesday. Wednesday morning they called me before I left to see if I was coming that day because they had a lot of cars coming up there from San Antonio and if I didn't pick it up they were going to charge me storage @ $25.00 a day. I assure the guy I would be there in a couple of hours. We didn't have much to say to each other when I picked up the car but they didn't charge me the diagnosis charge which I thought they might try to do after all. I had spoken to Fiat USA while they had the car and they were still talking like they might offer me a break in the tank replacement. I mention this to Austin while they had the car and the service writer told me the DSM had looked at the car and didn't really care what Fiat USA had to say about it, that he wasn't going to replace the tank under warranty. I think the service writer put it this way. His DSM had more power than Fiat USA had. Apparently he was a real a**hole. Anyway, wrapping this up, the service writer told me this is a common enough problem, the rollover valve sticks and the tank has to be replace. My car is up on jacks as I write this. Removing the filler hose is easy and the rollover valve is right there in full view. And it is not sticking. So, my conclusion is that the tank isn't venting properly when I fill it. I have tested this too and believe I am correct. I haven't been able to determine yet if the problem is external or internal to the tank but Fiat doesn't seem to care, at least not yet. People who are thinking this is caused by the gas pump need to rethink that and start calling Fiat about the problem instead. It is going to take a lot of people complaining about this and forcing them to engineer a solution before they start paying for an extended warranty to solve this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello fellow pop owner I am running into this problem as well just out of the blue my car is acting like the tank is full and its not it took me 20 min to put $10.00 in my tank I AM THE ORIGINAL OWNER AND Haven't had anything done to the gas tank. Did you have yours looked at and if so what did they say?
Thanks, Sherry....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your whole post and I'm glad to read it I have a few things wrong with my fiat some that keep happing so I will be calling fiat as well. Also I never thought it was the gas pump because I have always filled up at that gas station. I hope that's not what Fiat is trying to say.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the tank. Just go to a different pump. The sensor in that particular gas station pump is too sensitive.

Tedolph

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just experienced this same problem. My 2012 Fiat POP wouldn't take fuel more than 0.1-0.25 gal before pump switched off when the tank was on empty. I put up with about two months of this, trying different gas stations and brands, before I took it to the studio after being advised by another mechanic that this was an evap problem and should be under warranty. The Fiat studio said yes, this is an evap problem and I will need to replace the canister, but it would not be under warranty. I have around 65,000 miles on my vehicle. Four days later, the studio called back to let me know that $430 fix didn't solve the problem and the next step was to replace the fuel tank. I've never heard of a fuel tank replacement necessary in a car, especially at 65,000 miles. However, I'm eight months pregnant and need a reliable car right now and approved the new fix quoted at $1,615. Long story short, this was a VERY expensive problem and in hindsight I just should've put up with the inconvenience of the 20-minute fuel tank fill.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Once again I inquire: does going to a different pump make a difference?

TEdolph
She said she tried different stations and brands for two months. Isn't there a check valve in the fill line to the tank? If that was found to be the cause , why couldn't that valve be replaced separately? I'm not sure I'd consider spending $2,000 to fix a problem like that, but can understand her position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has just started happening to my 2012 Pop. I have tried different gas stations, holding the nozzle at different angles and depths, to no avail. Does anyone know where the fuel tank vent hose is located? Is it possible to use a compressor to clear the line? Total FIAT newbie... thank you for any info.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I always find it impossible to add gas to my car, there is this strange orange plug inside the filler flap, looks like some electrical thingmabob...

21 - 40 of 56 Posts