Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2015 Fiat 500 has trouble going up inclines, and I'm not sure what the cause is. It is up to date on all its maintenance, with an oil change, new spark plugs, and new transmission fluid all being done within the past month. It currently has about 61,000 miles on it. After it got new spark plugs, it was good for a few days, able to go as fast as I wanted (85 mph) at any incline, but its performance has diminished since then.

For reference, it will sometimes drop down to 40 mph going slightly uphill on the freeway, which is a huge problem for my own time and the traffic behind me. I have tried it in sport mode and regular mode, and it does the same thing in both modes. I have checked the license plate for recalls and no recalls apply to my vehicle. And yes, I know how and when to downshift - I have been driving stick for over ten years and never had this problem with any other car.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi all,

My 2015 Fiat 500 has trouble going up inclines, and I'm not sure what the cause is. It is up to date on all its maintenance, with an oil change, new spark plugs, and new transmission fluid all being done within the past month. It currently has about 61,000 miles on it. After it got new spark plugs, it was good for a few days, able to go as fast as I wanted (85 mph) at any incline, but its performance has diminished since then.

For reference, it will sometimes drop down to 40 mph going slightly uphill on the freeway, which is a huge problem for my own time and the traffic behind me. I have tried it in sport mode and regular mode, and it does the same thing in both modes. I have checked the license plate for recalls and no recalls apply to my vehicle. And yes, I know how and when to downshift - I have been driving stick for over ten years and never had this problem with any other car.

Any ideas?
Hi carsowner,
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We'd suggest having your vehicle diagnosed by your local dealer, then if you'd like some additional assistance, feel free to send us a private message. You can find your nearest dealer here: Find a FIAT® Dealership Near You

Sarah
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same location, same hills? Or was it great a few days ago in LA, and now its sucking wind in Denver?

Just asking.. I've never owned a vehicle that is so badly effected by elevation changes. I live at 4000 feet and its
OK.. Take her down to sea level, and its like a completely different car.. Get up in the mountains and
get over 6500 feet or 7000+ and it can't get out of its own way or climb a hill at speed to save its life.

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
136 Posts
So it accelerates perfectly fine on flats and downhill but slows only on steep uphills? So it won't pull redline on any gear? Not even first or second?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Any ideas?
I have the same exact issue, same exact car. I've owned it since 2016, and I'm the second owner. It only had 11K miles when I bought it. I took it on a road trip shortly after, and WOW was I scared! I couldn't get it above 38mph in high elevations. I thought we were going to get clobbered by all the speeding semi's and vacationer's. That was over 5 years ago, and I've been too scared to take it on a trip again. I don't have an issue otherwise, as I live in flat land.

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
136 Posts
You guys and gals should consider getting automatics. They are 6 speed and very good. Keeping the 1.4l motor in it's powerband zone is trickier than most cars and most dont realize. You will need to learn how to double clutch or at least rev match downshift very quickly and smoothly without ruining clutch and always keeping revs high (over 4500 rpms) up hills. Unfortunately this motor only has 101 hp and 100 lbft tq. It can get bogged down very easily on steep hills. If engine under 3500rpms or so up steep hills and trying to get it to go faster it is very very hard on motor and will likely prematurely ruin it. If going up super steep hills need to keep rpms quite high not let engine bog or worse lug. The engine is a twin cam, mpfi, variable valve timing and Italian so it much prefers the higher side numbers of the tachometer. Or get turbo or abarth automatic. It is one of the trickier of all modern roads cars to keep revs up since such low torque.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

Any ideas?
From what I understand it is the same hills you would typically travel, and if it wasn't an issue before but after the spark plugs change, I would check the spark plugs, check if you bought the right ones, maybe they are different brand and not the right ones for the Fiat. What you didn't mention is what is the milage on your car and if you got OEM spark plugs or other brand.

I have a stick shift as well and on second and third gear I don't have any issues going up on steep uphills. If it is just that ocassional steep uphill, I some times turn the AC off just to get that extra boost back just while I get up there.

That's what I would do. Good luck with it! Keep us updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts