Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2013 500
21 Posts
I did not get any continuity between the contact of the switch and after the resistor I think that may be my problem.
All I did was pick a wire and splice the resistor into it. I soldered it in for a good connection. Works perfectly. I just mounted a switch button and press it to open the lid after I unlock the car with the fob.
Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
5 Posts
I got the resistor and connected it with the doorman switch. Soldered everything back together and still not working. Trying to troubleshoot. I got the current through the circuit with the switch, but when I connect it to the existing wires it’s not working. Maybe be a problem with the ground wires? Dumb question: how do I run a separate switch from the battery? Think the motor is the issue?

· Registered
2013 500
21 Posts
I got the resistor and connected it with the doorman switch. Soldered everything back together and still not working. Trying to troubleshoot. I got the current through the circuit with the switch, but when I connect it to the existing wires it’s not working. Maybe be a problem with the ground wires? Dumb question: how do I run a separate switch from the battery? Think the motor is the issue?
I only connected it to one wire from the switch, not from wire to wire. One wire is untampered with. I cut the other wire, stripped the ends and soldered the resistor between the ends of the cut wire.

I'm wondering if the Dorman switch is the culprit. Using a meter on the 2wires, do you get a closed circuit when you activate the switch? I just used a small, simple switch I bought from an auto parts store. I posted a photo of my switch mounted earlier. I'll see if I can find it again. I did. Here it is. I unlock the car with the fob and then push the button and the lid unlocks. Works great. L
Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for the posts that helped me get my solution to fix this.

My girlfriend's 2016 Fiat 500x has the exact same issue, the outside rubber cover detached from the inside plastic switch, like everyone else, I firstly tried glue them together, but the cover felt off one day on the road, and the switch itself is just hanging there. I came here looking for a solution and thanks to MineBrokeToo, Geppog, BV93013, I can have enough information to find my own solution:

First, I bought Doorman #901-470, which as Geppoq said, it has a 4.8k Ohm resistor, and in order to make it work on 500x, we need to make it 1.5k, the best solution is what Geppoq proposed, parallel a 2.2K resistor along with it, but the problem comes to where to drill a hole. Thanks to the picture BV93013 posted, I found the best point to drill the hole is on the other side of the metal (show on the pic).

Then solder one side of the 2.2k resistor to the wire, one side to the metal,

Be sure to check with a multimeter in resistance mode, after the modification, it should read 0 or infinity (disconnect) when NOT pressed, and around 1500 Ohm when pressed,

Then I sealed it with glue, put it back, now it works like a charm and thank you all for the information!

View attachment 110926
View attachment 110928
View attachment 110927
Cool fix! What kind of glue did you use to seal it? Cheers, Dave

· Registered
2 Posts
Cool fix! What kind of glue did you use to seal it? Cheers, Dave
Thanks, I'm glad it helps : )

I used the Gorilla Clear Grip, it is not a instant glue, takes about 24 hours to fully solidify, but once it does, it's strong and waterproof, I also used it to seal the connections between the internal wires to the new switch, no problem at all after a year,

Cheers!

Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Tin Drink

41 - 51 of 51 Posts