Fiat 500 Forum banner

trunk lid won't open

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr Jz Abarth 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a 2012 500C and the trunk lid won't open. Repaired the two broken wires within the harness that comes out the lid to interior of car. I thought that would of fixed it. I've checked the key fob, lid switch, and activation solenoid within the lid and fuses. Now, to open the trunk lid i have to pull the emergency handle attached to a cable. Has anyone come across this problem before ? I'm thinking maybe the convertible top deactivation switch is stuck in the open position when the top is fully up. How would one access that switch. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

#2 ·
My daughter has 2015 C and trunk lid wont open either. I have corrected the frayed wires and it still will not open. I have replaced the exterior trunk handle and still not working. I have the trunk actuator and that still wont fix it. Does anyone have a solution.

Donald

#3 ·
Yeah mine is doing the same thing, it's still under warranty so I sat at the dealership for an hour and they replaced a module and it is getting the signal to pop but it's not popping open. They will resume it on Monday with an engineer to get to the bottom of this issue........... Hopefully.

#8 ·
Well when I purchased the Abarth from the dealership, a chevy dealership, they made it clear that the trunk latch wasn't working so they made an appointment with former Fiat dealership to look at it, so I took the friday off and drove up there, they had the car for about two hours and drove it up front. When I spoke to the mechanic he told me that they had swapped out the ecu for a new one and the latch trigger switch was getting a signal to release the latch but it wasn't triggering the latch. They were going to get engineering involved and would need to have the car for a period of time. They wanted me to to call back on Monday to arrange a time for them to have it and I told them that they would have to provide me with a loaner to get back and forth to work. So I called them on Monday and was told that they didn't have an answer for the loaner at that time and to call back later that day. Being frustrated, I started like you to search online for someone else that had the same problem and came across this video. So I figured I'd try it out. I followed the instructions on the video. I did it a couple of times before even trying to open the trunk. Once I got the top to stop in each position on its own then I checked the trunk and BAM! It opened. So I called the dealership and told them I fixed it and emailed them the link I posted here. Give it a try. Hope it works out for you.

#10 ·
Great, thanks for the information. After I had the ecu installed they also told me that the signal is send to the latch but it wasn’t reacting, just like yours. We (the dealer did it in my presence) then did the “Reset” like in the video and unfortunately it still doesn’t work. They also suggested replacing the whole harness which I haven’t done yet. I was hoping to find a better solution.…thanks

#12 ·
I know I held the buttons for ten seconds instead of five in the video and I did the procedure 5 times before I even got out to try the trunk. Once might not be enough. And when the battery dies or is disconnected it's gonna happen again more than likely. It's gonna lose its memory. The first couple of tries the top would only go back as long as I held the button. To open or close. So by the time I got to the fourth and fifth try I hit the button and it went back to the second position, not all the way open. Then hit the button again and fully open. Then I hit the close button once and it went back to the second position again and hit the button again it came to be open just above my head. Hit the button again and it fully closed. So if it's not doing that then you need to try the process again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.