Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
just finished going through everything. now i have some decisions i need to make. before i was always turbo this, turbo that. now i might have to rethink a bit. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
turbos don't suck HP of the crank all the time, so you'd likely get better fuel economy with the turbo. You only use the extra fuel when you spool up [and force more fuel and air into the cylinders]. Plus, it's easier to adjust the boost if you are into modding.

Supercharging gets more immediate results, but there is a price to pay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good Article. I have not seen a supercharged street car that I can recall but have seen lots of turbocharged street cars and driven a few.

One thing the author did not get into was reliability. I don't know which version would be more reliable but I do know that both will be less reliable than a NA engine. I learned this from personal experience. Over and over again I learned this.

·
Registered
433 Posts
superchargers tend to make more linear power gains, so the tiny 1.4l power plant in the 500 would not really see any benefit off the line, only in mid to high gear. Turbos have a much flatter power band once they spool up and make a lot more sense in small engine applications.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if your car is a daily driver and normally aspirated, I recommend leaving it that way. I've turbo charged NA cars and super charged NA cars and honestly, unless you are handy with a wrench and laptop, and have the patience of Job, getting the kinks ironed out can be maddening.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Addin a turbo isn't too terribly hard. The hardest thing is finding and fitting all the random fuel/oil lines, intercooler routing various things. As far as tuning no laptop is needed unless your ware going to run something like MS or AEM FIC, a wide band and RRFPR with e85 is all I've used.

Best read out there is a book by Corky Bell called Maximum Boost. Very good for the first timers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts