Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of negative press about Fiat, but especially about the 500e. We bought a used 2014. We put new tires, wipers and rear hatch gas struts and a new 12volt battery on it. The bottom line is that the car, so far, works very well. We use it as a bridge to reduce our gas use. We have a F150 crew cab, which gets good mileage for a truck, but still, pretty thirsty when driving around town. The 500e takes care of all our local runs and, so far, our electric bill, compared to last year, hasn't gone up, at all. Although the Fiat 500e was created to satisfy California, it was a blessing in disguise for Fiat, as that's all they're going to produce, from now on. They're starting out in Europe, and then will, eventually, make their way back to the USA. I think they did a fine job with the 500e. Some may not like it, but it's a matter of how one drives it. If you don't gun it all the time and use the down hill and breaking regeneration, you'll maximize your battery charge. Recharge it, immediately, after each trip, and you'll always be ready for your next trip. Before buying this 500e, we had a Chrysler GEM E2 (which is now owned by Polaris). It was like an open Jeep running with lead acid batteries. No doors. A/C was two 12 volt fans. 25-35 miles round trip and limited to 35mph. The 500e is a luxury upgrade in comparison. The GEM could only be charged with 110Volt AC. The fiat charges quickly with 220. The Fiat dealership in Tucson closed down, but their technicians were transferred to the local Dodge store. My only concern with Fiat, which is no small one, is that, per federal law, Fiat, or any car manufacturer or importer, has to support cars sold in the USA for 10 years post sale with parts and service (not under warranty, but just availability to the owner to purchase). The appearance is that they simply cut and run. My own research ran down my service for my 500e. One thing that really was upsetting, was that the Fiat service rep was supposed to make an appointment for me to have my 500e serviced. Unfortunately, I discovered they'd closed their doors, overnight, without warning. The guy supposedly working for me from the website was "Fabio." I don't blame Fabio, but do blame the dealer. However, to their credit, they were one of the last Fiat dealerships to close in the USA. If you get an opportunity to buy a Fiat 500e cheap, get it. It will pay for itself in gas savings.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Bill Luke Fiat in Phoenix has said it has a 500e certified tech on duty.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My extended coverage AAA would cover that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm usually not the school marm. But in this instance, I think it's appropriate.

"Paragraphs are my friends. They should be your friends too."

Walls of text are difficult to read because there are no visual separators between the content.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a FIAT 500E 2017 from California and shipped it here to Missouri. My wife and I take our "little blue gem" to McLarty Daniel Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM, and FIAT. It is a little bit of a drive and there are hills so we stop at a gas station, "Kum & Go." Kum & Go - Free Electric Car Charging - 2811 E Central Ave, Bentonville, AR 72712 - Store - PlugShare . The hills of the Ozarks and the 75mph isn't nice to the battery but we make it. They service us and there isn't much service needed on these little electric cars. They are great for inner city or close city to city travel. I only wish that new 500e would come state side and or an after market battery shop that swapped out the 60ah to the 94ah cells by Samsung SDI was around. I can wait. I'm glade you like your's @J.R. Atkins

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
FIVE YEAR EVALUATION OF MY FIAT 500E:

I haven't seen any legitimate negative press about the 500e, only things like "low range" of more than double the US average daily drive, or "too small" back seat, where before I deleted it, my own 5'8 self was fine behind a 6' driver for an hour, which was as far as we could go on the first leg of our no-charging round-trip.

I bought a used 2013, & soon needed new tires, but the cheaper plain (non-LRR) ones have the same range, and better grip & wear. My hatch struts are still fine, as are my wipers (garage) but when my 12volt battery was over 5 years old I downsized it with a tiny motorbike battery for $53 (including reusable $18 adapters).

The bottom line is that the car, so far, works very, very well. As my only vehicle, it takes care of all my local runs, & if I needed to go further I'd just borrow/swap, rent (idea from Fiat's original offer) or drive to the airport.

I just have an extension cord in my garage's standard wall outlet, & if I plug in when I go to bed, my US-avg 40 mile daily drive is fully recharged in 8 hours of sleep. Same goes for 8 hours at work.

HOWEVER, the car's own charge cord can run on 240V which gives a full charge from DEAD overnight or at work, with just a cheap Amazon adapter or 2: IF you don't have one of the 3 outlets for which 240V adapters are avail, you just need to add 1 more adapter for your particular outlet.

Before buying this 500e, I had a Toyota MR2 Spyder. The 500e is cavernous in comparison, & even though it's technically slower 0-60, real-world off-the-line is way better.

The 2 Fiat dealerships near me closed down, but their technicians were transferred to the local Dodge/Jeep/Ram store. We should only really need them for any software updates, but there haven't even been any of those in several years.

Post-warranty & even post-OEM-support in 2029*, independent shops such as Bosch will get increasingly EV-savvy as gas cars' end draws ever nearer**. Used parts will become increasingly available as accidents happen. Aftermarket suppliers may also fill in, for example if our cars get bricked just because new contactors are unavailable, someone will likely start making them.

*The 2013 is mechanically the same as the 2019.
**13 3/4 years now & dropping, unless they do like Britain (shortened the time TWICE now!).

If you get an opportunity to buy a Fiat 500e cheap, get it. It will pay for itself just in gas savings, not to mention oil changes, smog checks, brakes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm usually not the school marm. But in this instance, I think it's appropriate.

"Paragraphs are my friends. They should be your friends too."

Walls of text are difficult to read because there are no visual separators between the content.

ga2500ev
It takes a lot of memory to maintain a web site. Ask any webmaster to maintains one. Paragraphs are grammatically correct, but unnecessary in this site's format, where brevity needs to be maintained. Every space and every line between paragraphs takes more unnecessary bytes of memory. However, I'll take the criticism with the spirit, which I assume you intended it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 500e doesn't have the range to make it up to Phoenix from Tucson. However, if they're still there, supporting owners, that's great.
I've used Plugshare.com (their website and cellphone app) to research free lvl 2 charging stations to make some unavoidable trips to places the car ordinarily wouldn't reach. If you have a bit of free time to wait while the car charges at lvl 2 then it's possible. In South Carolina the free stations don't require anything, no card, or whatever. I completed a round-trip from Columbia SC to Greenville, in a day (over 200 miles), but it was definitely a long day. I had to avoid the highway and drive directly to free chargers along the route. I found that charging the car to 95% was generally worth it.

Waiting for level 2 charging is beyond some people but it's my only car and timely/cheap alternatives were not available for my trip.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,644 Posts
I've stopped many times at various free public chargers on my way home from work. I was waiting months for my rental garage outlet to get fixed, & my boss was charging her own car on the extension cord at work.

My 30-mile round-trip recharged in about an hour, so I would go online with my phone & catch up on my "correspondence" & news there instead of at home.

Even if paid service is all that's available, 1st-time setup is only a couple-minute call to the number on the charger.

When I saw complaints about the cost of the most expensive local charger, I did the math & it was still cheaper than gas. In fact that charger is in a prime-location parking lot where it actually costs 66% more just to park than it does to park AND charge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts