Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pickup kicked up a rock and cracked the windshield. The damage is about the size of a quarter. At least it hit the windshield and not the hood or something painted.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Got a crack like that not terribly long after buying a car about 10 yrs ago, drove directly to get it repaired and called in late for work...the glass people seemed a bit shocked when they asked when it happened and I answered roughly 15 minutes ago. Hope it isn't right in view, constant reminder sucks, get it fixed quick!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
just put a sticker on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A pickup kicked up a rock and cracked the windshield. The damage is about the size of a quarter. At least it hit the windshield and not the hood or something painted.
That has happened to me about three time in my driving life. It is covered under the comprehensive section of most insurance plans. Simply call your insurance company or agent report what happened and it should not cost you more than $100 to replace the windshield. From what I understand, you will not get dinged on the premiums for this type of claim. At least I have never been penalized for making this type of claim. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
While a new one would be nice usually $15-$20 seems a simple solution, some people have repeated damages like this due to the area in which they live, luckily I am not one of those people. Replacing them each time would not workout well, I know one guy that used to somehow crack and chip his repeatedly within short periods of time, he finally just sold the vehicle...haha.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the insurance company yesterday and am now waiting for them to call back. It sounded like they outsourced their call center due to Irene call volume. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Its a holiday weekend. You might hear back from insurance company Tuesday.

I know a girl at work who's replace her windshield twice now on her Honda Fit. Third windshield has a crack all the way across it now. She just got another large chip, under that one too. She drives the same highway I do everyday. I think she tailgates, drives too close to the rear of other cars. That can cause them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm wondering how long the wait would be for a windshield replacement. I doubt many companies are going to have 500 windshields in stock,
since insurance companies don't even have the car in their databases yet.

Plus doesn't the 500C have the antenna is embedded in it, this creates another variable.

Could be a potential for some lingering loaner car issues.

·
Registered
175 Posts
While a new one would be nice usually $15-$20 seems a simple solution, some people have repeated damages like this due to the area in which they live, luckily I am not one of those people. Replacing them each time would not workout well, I know one guy that used to somehow crack and chip his repeatedly within short periods of time, he finally just sold the vehicle...haha.
I guess if you don't care about driving around with a repaired chip in the windshield the size of a quarter okay. But that's not me. I don't care how many times the windshield get chipped ( as long as it's not the size of a pin head) its getting replaced. Maybe if I were driving a junker it would be okay but not my new Fiat 500C.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm wondering how long the wait would be for a windshield replacement. I doubt many companies are going to have 500 windshields in stock,
since insurance companies don't even have the car in their databases yet.

Plus doesn't the 500C have the antenna is embedded in it, this creates another variable.

Could be a potential for some lingering loaner car issues.
Each time a had a windshield replaced, my insurance company (State Farm) sent me to an approved Glass Replacement Dealer and they ordered the factory replacement windshield. It took about 3 days to get it and about 1 hour to replace it. I was never without my car. Not a painful process.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was pretty far back when the rock hit. Any closer or further back and I'm rolling around with a nice chip in the paint. I drive 74 miles round trip each day to work with at least 60 of them on the highway. Now within a month I have two different cars get windshield hits on a two lane road on the weekend. The first was the Subaru I got rid of and now the Fiat. The Subaru came from a trailer towed by a truck coming the OPPOSITE direction.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Each time a had a windshield replaced, my insurance company (State Farm) sent me to an approved Glass Replacement Dealer and they ordered the factory replacement windshield. It took about 3 days to get it and about 1 hour to replace it. I was never without my car. Not a painful process.
Well yeah, but getting certain parts for the 500 right now seems to be an issue. I'm wondering if the WS is the same as the one used in Europe or if it would be supplied by a parts manufacturer in Detroit or Mexico.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Somewhat in the same vein... every year, the local roads dept lays down a thin layer of tar, followed by about three inches of crushed gravel onto the road I live on. For a week, it's like driving in sand.

I wash my car every week and last time, I noticed tar all along the bottom of the car and numerous paint chips. Most of the jug heads in my neighborhood drive monster trucks, it seems, so the just go right along since the don't care about the gravel. Then there's me, creeping along in first gear, getting a rock shower by every oncoming car.

Ryan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you seen the Safelite commercials on TV? A chip can be filled in with epoxy, but crack would require a new windshield. If you have glass coverage they will repair or replace it free of charge.

I had a hairline crack in my Golf's windshield and Geico sent out a glass company to replace the windshield in the parking lot at work, didn't cost me anything. Even when my dad forgot to strap down the lawnmower in my mom's minivan and it rolled and the handle smashed the rear window (....) the insurance company replaced it with no deductible.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Somewhat in the same vein... every year, the local roads dept lays down a thin layer of tar, followed by about three inches of crushed gravel onto the road I live on. For a week, it's like driving in sand.

I wash my car every week and last time, I noticed tar all along the bottom of the car and numerous paint chips. Most of the jug heads in my neighborhood drive monster trucks, it seems, so the just go right along since the don't care about the gravel. Then there's me, creeping along in first gear, getting a rock shower by every oncoming car.

Ryan
They do something similar in Ireland. I was visiting family about 11-12 years ago and there were signs for 'loose chippings' all over the place (EU money, seemed like the whole country was being repaved). Apparently they just drop an inch or two of sharp crushed stone on the fresh asphalt and let the cars pound it into the ground, which I guess makes it work a little like sandpaper when the loose stuff is finally cleaned off, but we could hear the stones flying up under the rental car all week.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I guess if you don't care about driving around with a repaired chip in the windshield the size of a quarter okay. But that's not me. I don't care how many times the windshield get chipped ( as long as it's not the size of a pin head) its getting replaced. Maybe if I were driving a junker it would be okay but not my new Fiat 500C.

When the repairs are done properly the chip is almost invisible, also I could not be certain the exact size from such a closeup picture. If it as large as you make it sound then certainly new glass is the better option.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
they will not fill a chip where Gonzo's is located. If it's in the drivers immediate viewing area, no go.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts