Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed there is a U69 recall for 2013-2017 500e. Link to pdf document explaining U69 recall is broken on Mopar's site. Description says: 2013-2017 FF BEV HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY SOFTWARE. Seems to me this is a ECU software update, no parts replacement. After doing some searching this update should fix following problem that some 500's experience: when car is turned off the battery pack does not disconnect but rather keeps charging the 12V car battery. I have experienced this for several days a month ago. After driving to work and leaving 9 hours later I noticed battery percentage would drop by 7-9%. This only happened several times and hasn't happened since. Normally when leaving work 9 hours later battery pack drops by 0-2%. Did anyone do this U69 recall? Any improvement? I live in Indiana, I read somewhere that closest dealership that services electrics is in Chicago, 200 miles away from me. Since this is just ECU software update I'm hopping any Fiat dealer can do it, I will call and find out.

PS. I have a 2015 with 32K miles.

·
Registered
549 Posts
A fair number of owners have done the U69 recall:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?32269-Anybody-get-letter-from-FIAT-re-2013-2017-FF-BEV-HIGH-VOLTAGE-BATTERY-SOFTWARE
https://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/66-fiat-500e/49778-new-500e-recall-post1276293.html#post1276293
Also on the Facebook Fiat 500e group (closed group, requires joining):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/267552813413562/search/?query=u69

When you saw your battery % drop, was it in cold weather? The likely cause is that the computer recalculated the % and it changed based on the temperature of the battery. There is no way to directly measure battery %. It is an estimate based on complex calculations that looks at battery voltage, current, resistance and temperature, and monitoring how those numbers are changing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine was done at a regular Fiat dealership that doesn't have EV techs, but it sounds like it depends on the dealership as to whether or not they're willing to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine was done at a regular Fiat dealership that doesn't have EV techs, but it sounds like it depends on the dealership as to whether or not they're willing to do it.
Interesting, my local dealer does not have any EV techs, they refuse to even talk to me about my car.
The closest dealer with an EV tech is 100 miles away, which makes service a bit of a challenge.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Good thing there's virtually no service required!

MY local dealer is only 32 miles away, leases lots of EVs, & did 1 or 2 updates for me before, but I haven't got around to having them do U69, & I think it's been out for a year now!

However I haven't had any of the symptoms, & the longer I delay it, the more free coolant I'll get: Last update they topped off the electronics' reservoir which has a VERY tiny leak where the upper hose connects.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is interesting. I find that if I leave the car plugged in over night, the charging stops (presumably at 100%) and then when I open the door in the morning it's usually at 96% battery, which is annoying. May be I need this update...

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Also, apparently the % gauge isn't all that accurate, especially if you haven't recently cycled between 100 & zero, by driving around the neighborhood after a long trip, & then cranking cabin heat til it zeroes out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is interesting. I find that if I leave the car plugged in over night, the charging stops (presumably at 100%) and then when I open the door in the morning it's usually at 96% battery, which is annoying. May be I need this update...
This behavior is still present, unfortunately.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So this is one advantage of using the charge timer so it finishes charging just before the car is needed?
You can certainly use for that purpose if you want, although it may involve manually readjusting the timer for individual usages.

The timer was originally designed for taking advantage of lower electricity rates at night (if your electric utility has that type of billing plan) on a regular daily schedule.

24 Posts
I had the U69 done recently and the only notable thing about it was that it took two trips to the dealer in Portland. I was glad I got it done because I had the opportunity to perform a test. My wife and I just returned from a three-week vacation. The U69 Campaign/Recall was completed on our 2015 500e not long before our getaway. When we left, the car showed a miles range of 12, and a battery charge of 17%. Returning 22 days later, car showed a miles range of 12, and a battery charge of 11%. I don’t remember if it was when I put the key in the ignition or when I turned it, but the miles range instantly dropped to 10. I wonder if that is normal (mild weather) battery charge loss, or if a modem is using a little power by always listening. By the way - on vacation, I was visiting with our tour guide on the island of St Thomas. He was telling about the very high price of gasoline. I asked if there were many electric cars on the island. “No! No electric cars!” He answered – almost with a tone of contempt. He said a little more, and he spoke English very well, but I couldn’t always understand what he said. It seems it would be a good place for electric cars.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
10 Posts
Scheduled my 2017 for the U69 software upgrade after calling my local dealer. He has only done one of this recall, but said to come on it. They have one certified tech for the 500e. I'm going in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts