Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017, 500e
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We started getting the above two messages on our Fiat 500e dashboard when trying to charge away from home.

I cleaned the connectors on the car and found dirt on them and a piece of plastic from our handle that had broken off and was stuck/hiding at the red arrow (it's dark in there):

Here is our handle with the piece missing:

And here is good handle from a public charge station that works now that we removed that little piece of plastic from above the connectors on our car.

Now the button on commercial connectors at your thumb can click in place and charging can commence.

Yeah!

·
Registered
2017, 500e
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We spent a ton of time on this, going around to different stations in town, testing at home and finally found the problem. The issue is the double message at the dash. The first message doesn't stay on the dash long enough for one person to see. When my son worked the handle, I could finally see the first message, "unable to detect plug-in" and troubleshoot that. The second message, "service charging system", is just plain not clear - which charging system? The one in the car, the one in the handle & box or the one at the public station? The second message should be dropped allowing the first to persist.

After we knew it was a plug-in problem we worked that and found the issue relatively quickly.

I sent a link for this thread to Fiat through customer chat after logging in on their website. We can now use our car to visit our daughter and charge in her town.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
For others reading this, note that there's a switch in the latch, which keeps power off until the latch is fully engaged. Usually you can feel or hear the switch's tiny click when you press or release the latch.

The broken-off piece of the handle prevented charging from any intact handle, since its latch wouldn't engage. However the broken handle still charges since it can engage because it's missing that piece. Also note in the top two pics that the round part that's supposed to stay on the handle is shown OFF the handle, on the socket.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For others reading this, note that there's a switch in the latch, which keeps power off until the latch is fully engaged. Usually you can feel or hear the switch's tiny click when you press or release the latch.

The broken-off piece of the handle prevented charging from any intact handle, since its latch wouldn't engage. However the broken handle still charges since it can engage because it's missing that piece. Also note in the top two pics that the round part that's supposed to stay on the handle is shown OFF the handle, on the socket.
Good clarifications, thank you, and yes the round part on our handle broke off as well and we have to dig it out of the socket in the car with our fingernails every time we go to a public station. Time for a new handle!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,886 Posts
If I recall correctly, the handles are rather expensive, however the round tubular part of the handle appears to be a separate piece, glued onto the handle, so it may be possible to just glue it back on.

The truly broken little tab isn't an issue. Many times I've successfully used a public plug that's missing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts