Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased at auction and delivered on July 22 2020. She suffered front end damage although I was unsure of the extent. Airbags had deployed. All I knew was I bought the car for the price of a set of cheap tires where one tire had a hole and they were all mismatched :)

I am challenging myself to complete this project with a 50/50 mix of genuine Fiat (either new or used) and generic/aftermarket parts. My purchases will be mostly based on availability of items. I have to if I want to avoid completing this car in 2036.

I'll try to remember to post as many pictures as I can or else what I said didn't happen. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The thing that worries me the absolute most there is that they left the oil cap off, and the turbo housing is half missing. Looks like the car sat a long time too. Unless it was well covered, you have a high risk of water having gotten into the engine and sat there causing damage.

Also having done a salvage myself, it's surprising how expensive some of the parts can be. You might do well by buying a second salvage fiat that has major rear or side damage, but a good frontend, to provide your missing parts. Not very many of the parts you need are available aftermarket, and when they are, they'll cost more than factory in many cases. A side impact car if it's been hit really hard is usually the best because nobody wants to repair them due to central unibody damage, and so you'll be able to pick good parts off it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing that worries me the absolute most there is that they left the oil cap off, and the turbo housing is half missing. Looks like the car sat a long time too. Unless it was well covered, you have a high risk of water having gotten into the engine and sat there causing damage.

Also having done a salvage myself, it's surprising how expensive some of the parts can be. You might do well by buying a second salvage fiat that has major rear or side damage, but a good frontend, to provide your missing parts. Not very many of the parts you need are available aftermarket, and when they are, they'll cost more than factory in many cases. A side impact car if it's been hit really hard is usually the best because nobody wants to repair them due to central unibody damage, and so you'll be able to pick good parts off it.
I was worried about water too. I emptied the oil and besides being dirty, there wasn't any evidence of water. The water pump looks a little gunked up though, probably because it wasn't a closed system when I got it.

I have been searching for a donor car, but most seem to be out of my price range. At the time of purchase, I was on C*part trying to find a second vehicle with rear damage but no luck. I still have my eyes peeled for one though...

Turbo housing absorbed alot of the impact, and will have to be replaced. A mechanic acquaintance of mine happens to have a spare.

I've got some pictures coming soon :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was worried about water too. I emptied the oil and besides being dirty, there wasn't any evidence of water. The water pump looks a little gunked up though, probably because it wasn't a closed system when I got it.

I have been searching for a donor car, but most seem to be out of my price range. At the time of purchase, I was on C*part trying to find a second vehicle with rear damage but no luck. I still have my eyes peeled for one though...

Turbo housing absorbed alot of the impact, and will have to be replaced. A mechanic acquaintance of mine happens to have a spare.

I've got some pictures coming soon :)
Copart's inventory is really low right now. You can btw check the "Sport" listings for 500 Turbo models as they'll have the parts you need but are listed as Sports. Look for vin starting with 3C3CFFH***** for the Turbo models. (I add the VIN to my available columns on search). Abarths will be 3C3CFFF, whereas an actual NA Sport will be 3C3CFFB. I use the VIN column because of the way it mixes Sports and Sport Turbos, it's easier than clicking each one to look at the picture :)

However, you may have better luck on IAAI auctions. They're basically the same as Copart, but have more inventory. Also they require a bit more up front before you can bid. But it might be worth it.

I got my 500 Turbo from Copart for reference btw, Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win and it was exactly as seen in the photos, pretty easy repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so let's replace the motor mount before it falls through the engine bay.

Okay, that's one repair down. 247 repairs to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts