Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and I would like to be up front and say that I don't know much about these cars. My son-in-law has a US Model 2012 Fiat 500c Sport without Turbo with 105,517 miles on it. He claims it's losing power while accelerating. Now he has ran it out of gas twice, so I used my ODB Code reader and there are NO Codes. So, I was thinking maybe it needs a new fuel filter, but I can't find one anywhere on it. On YouTube Fiat channel everyone shows that it's located under the hood near the firewall on the right-hand side. It's not there. So, now I am thinking that maybe it could use new plugs and coils?

Anyone else have any idea's as to what could be causing the issue? Also Does anyone know what this is?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Any Help would be great. Thanks Ed

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What is the maintenance history? When was the last spark plug change? Are you using factory Mopar plugs?
Are you following the maintenance schedule listed in the back of the owner’s manual?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Important detail - when losing power, do the RPMs climb while the car is slowing down? I'm curious if this could be a transmission issue.

With no codes, count me as a +1 to Fabio's comment. Tune it up with Mopar plugs, if you haven't already. See if there's any blockages in the air intake system as well.

That thing in your photo, where is it located on the car? Shot in the dark is that it's an Evap canister for emissions, catching the vapors from the fuel tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Important detail - when losing power, do the RPMs climb while the car is slowing down? I'm curious if this could be a transmission issue.

With no codes, count me as a +1 to Fabio's comment. Tune it up with Mopar plugs, if you haven't already. See if there's any blockages in the air intake system as well.

That thing in your photo, where is it located on the car? Shot in the dark is that it's an Evap canister for emissions, catching the vapors from the fuel tank.
You are correct, I believe it's an Evap canister for emissions, catching the vapors from the fuel tank as well. It's located under the back end of the car just behind the Fuel Tank. I am doing a complete tune-up on it this weekend for him with all Mopar parts. I be honest he bought it used with 60,000 miles on it and now it has 105,715 miles and I don't believe he has ever done a basic tune-up on it at all.

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
162 Posts
@Shadowrider73

Great post - glad you mentioned the following as it says a LOT!

OK - Running out of gas in a 500 (twice) is really, really bad.

No "codes" tells me that it's probably not exhaust system related.

Your post tells me your son-in-law probably the type of guy that drives with the needle towards "E" rather than "F".

So, his 500 has had 10 years of gas fill up's in it's tank, and sediments that were passed on from gas station gas pumps have dropped to the bottom of the 500 gas tank.

So, constantly running a low fuel level (or out of fuel) in a 500 is bad because there is no replaceable fuel filter on 500's!

He's basically sucking up all the sediments that have dropped to the bottom of the fuel tank.

That's probably why he has a fuel starvation problem at highway speeds.

The "fuel filter" is a "strainer sock" that is permanently attached to the end of the electric fuel pump pick-up.

When the "strainer sock" clogs - you replace the entire fuel pump - simple ;)

Hope that helps and let us know how it works out - your closing the loop will help others with the same problem.

Reactions: Fergie

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Lots of causes. Here is a good wealth information. My first guess is the fuel pump fuel sucking, dirty gasoline sediment. fuel filter is clogged up. This could be a quick
Cheap fix. Buy a bottle of fuel injector Cleaner. Add it the fuel tank, your Next full fill up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lots of causes. Here is a good wealth information. My first guess is the fuel pump fuel sucking, dirty gasoline sediment. fuel filter is clogged up. This could be a quick
Cheap fix. Buy a bottle of fuel injector Cleaner. Add it the fuel tank, your Next full fill up.

Nice tips

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the maintenance history? When was the last spark plug change? Are you using factory Mopar plugs?
Are you following the maintenance schedule listed in the back of the owner’s manual?
If it's not the electric throttle control, then your alternator is crapping out. Get a volt meter, test your battery when off, should have 12 to 12.5 volts, then start car, it should read 14 to 14.3 volts. Then you will know if it's the battery. Alternator or electric throttle control. There is no mechanical throttle, it is all sensors. Another hint it's the throttle control, is bad acceleration, white smoke pollution at tail pipe and really bad gas mileage. I just went through it with my 2012 sport 500 and I drive like a racecar driver. It was the Alternator.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If your battery or alternator goes bad in a 500 everylight on the dash will come on. so unlikely that is the issue but i agree it should be tested. a good battery should rest between 12.6v and 13.2v if charged properly and driven daily with a good alternator charging voltage ^^ calamari kid hit that one on the head. The fuel pump is easy to remove pop out the back seat and it is right there easily accesible. To be removed for inspection, im sure there is a video to help on you tube if not PM me and i will give you detailed instructions. If the electronic throttle is having an issue a red ) ⚡ (. Will flash or come on solid on the gauges while it is happening. These cars are very smart and very reliant on proper voltage. also follow the tips listed above for checking the catalytic converter. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts