Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Industry people have assured 135hp. I can find nothing from us fiat that confirms it either way. There are plenty of bloggers that assume 170hp but all I am seeing is wishful thinking. I tend to error to the side of caution. If it is 135hp we will still be getting spanked by Honda Fit si w/ auto tranny all day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did a little searching, and really can't find anything official from Fiat at all on the US hp ratings. So I'd have to agree with you, unfortunately.

Would also have to agree with you about the comparison with the Fit as well. And that is available with a pretty good manny too.

If it does end up having 135 hp, the old Honda EP3 (2002 - 2005 Civic Si hatch)would make a **** of a lot more sense with 160 hp and a willing aftermarket.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's nothing official from Fiat regarding the power of the US Abarth.

BUT there was something official from Chrysler a while back regarding a 170 hp turbocharged 1.4 Multiair engine in Fiat's lineup (see Chrysler Media). Caveat: they confirmed the engine but NOT that it's going in the Abarth. Since the only other engine they confirmed is already on the regular 500, and since the Abarth is the only upcoming model this or next year, then most news outlets assume that the 170 hp engine is what's going into the Abarth. I like to think so too, which is why I put my deposit on an Abarth already :)

Nothing has been said about 135hp base engine and Esseesse crate kits by anyone so I doubt that's going to happen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah, Javier, I came across that as well. Though it's from January (I'll assume a typo and it's from January of this year), and wasn't specifically about the Abarth. I do think that it's a reasonable assumption to equate that as the Abarth engine, at least for now. I guess we'll all know when it's at the LA auto show.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ive also heard 175 HP from a few different sources. The euro abarth is offered as a 135 HP with an Essesse kit which boosts it to 160.
175 HP in a car that weighs 2350 is really quite something. The lotus elise makes 180 HP and only weighs 1900 and goes from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds so Im sure the US abarth will be a blast to drive. I keep telling myself I will be keeping my prima but something tells me I will be trading it in/selling it next year unless I can get a dealer installed abarth supercharer or Turbo kit, ive heard this will be available but no one has comfirmed yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have never had a car with too much torque steer. I had a 9-5 aero with torque steer and it was not annoying enough to not like the 250hp.

I will take as much torque steer as you can give me to have 175hp in a 500. You guys need to get to the gym. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts