Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
while that looks way cool, it also looks EXPENSIVE! my guess on the Abarth selling price of $23-24K just went up to $26K! :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can't imagine them not offering a real manny on the Abarth. Maybe they view the Abarth 500c as more the chick version. :)

I am in love with that steering wheel, though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've heard both 5-speed & 6-speed manual....don't know about the auto, but IF available, probably the 6-speed one in use in the USA. Same one the MINI uses so it should be good for the power of the Abarth.

Myself, I live in the mountains of Western NC with some of the best roads in the world. I have one on deposit and living here, anything other than a manual would be heresy of the first magnitude. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I didn't take the time to research the specifics of this clutch-less system. However, whatever you may call it, either it has a direct physical connection through the powertrain, or it doesn't (e.g., a fluid coupling). If it doesn't, that is equivalent to an automatic transmission, and is designed for a certain class of drivers.

That's fine for that class of drivers, but it is not acceptable to enthusiasts. I remember when the Lexus IS 300 came out with only an automatic transmission, it got laughed off the street.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
O.k., I checked this is a manual transmission. But to me it's a joke. It's overly complicated, and derives from the racing world, where that system might help you win a race, by saving a fraction of a second here and there. But racers have a whole team of mechanics backing them up. Learn to shift with a clutch - the physics of it are simple. After a few thousand miles, the act of shifting becomes ... automatic!

Operating a manual is easy for anyone of reasonable IQ. You don't need a topgun mechanism of complicated electronics and servos to do it for you! And there is no way to repair these subsystems when they go bad, it'll be four-figure replacement parts - plus labor.

·
Registered
225 Posts
O.k., I checked this is a manual transmission. But to me it's a joke. It's overly complicated, and derives from the racing world, where that system might help you win a race, by saving a fraction of a second here and there. But racers have a whole team of mechanics backing them up. Learn to shift with a clutch - the physics of it are simple. After a few thousand miles, the act of shifting becomes ... automatic!

Operating a manual is easy for anyone of reasonable IQ. You don't need a topgun mechanism of complicated electronics and servos to do it for you! And there is no way to repair these subsystems when they go bad, it'll be four-figure replacement parts - plus labor.

Yeah, this "automated manual" was such a hit in the Abarth 500c that they now offer a regular manual transmission in the car for $1000 less due to buyer demand.

Manuals rule, autos drool.....(assuming you don't live in a big city, in which case you have my sympathies).:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have you seen the shifters on some of these rally cars? It is the same principal as a motor cycle. 1 up 4 down with neutral <> 1st and 2nd with a regular clutch pedal. The shifter is an actual lever. That would be pretty trick IMO.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My fearless guess - if the Abarth really looks like that when it comes out, it'll be priced pretty close to a Cooper S Chili :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
My fearless guess - if the Abarth really looks like that when it comes out, it'll be priced pretty close to a Cooper S Chili :(
I did that reasoning.
Here we have this price list for the base models:

500 Twinair 0.9: 13.000 € ($ 18.846)
500 Pop 1.2: 11.900 € ($ 17.252)
500 Lounge 1.4: 15.600 € ($ 22.616)

Abarth 500 1.4 135 hp: 18.900 € ($ 27.400)

So the price of 500 U.S. remains well below the 1.2 Pop in Italy, despite having a 1.4 MultiAir.
If they can maintain the same policy, I think the price of Abarth is more or less than $ 20.000, even calculating the engine a bit more powerful (I think you will have 170 hp).
However the price of the Cooper S is still around $ 24.000

·
Registered
433 Posts
I remember when the Lexus IS 300 came out with only an automatic transmission, it got laughed off the street.
sorry I missed this 3 months ago.

At least the IS300 sedan had a manual months later, the wagon was auto only =P

hope this is not the case with the Abarth.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good news future Abarth owners. According to Chris who runs fiat500usa.com and knows what is going on and what is OK to reveal, the NA Abarth WILL be available with a good ol' manual. He did NOT say whether it would be a 5 or 6-speed. I don't really care which, just that one is available. That was my buy/don't buy break point. I am doing my happy dance (which should not be seen by humans). :D

Huzzah! and Caio!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts