Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting friends in Canada, and they wanted to go see a Fiat 500, since I had mentioned I was interested in one and they had never seen one. We went to a local dealer and hopped in a manual Pop for a test drive. I picked up the window sticker and saw the mileage figures listed as "42 mi/gal city and 55 mi/gal highway". WTF??????
Even if we are talking "imperial" gallons, the conversion only jumps to about 45 mi/gal for a US spec model. Canada has tougher emissions than most states, except Cal. Does anyone have a clear understanding of this HUGE number difference?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I don't really know why, but I have seen similar discussions on forums for other cars (like SmartCarofAmeria and a Toyota Rav4 site).

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am visiting friends in Canada, and they wanted to go see a Fiat 500, since I had mentioned I was interested in one and they had never seen one. We went to a local dealer and hopped in a manual Pop for a test drive. I picked up the window sticker and saw the mileage figures listed as "42 mi/gal city and 55 mi/gal highway". WTF??????
Even if we are talking "imperial" gallons, the conversion only jumps to about 45 mi/gal for a US spec model. Canada has tougher emissions than most states, except Cal. Does anyone have a clear understanding of this HUGE number difference?
My MPG (5speed) goes way up if I keep it @ 65mph... but I am normally doing 80mph... when on highway.

They may be rated at a different "highway" speed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The EPA is a federal agency; Canada (and Europe) will have their own tests to determine fuel usage, that can lead to different results.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's just Chrysler overestimating the mileage. They do that on all their cars for some reason.

Their website states the Dodge Viper get's over 30mpg.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the epa standards were toughened here in 2008, so i think they are tougher than the canadian standards. add that to them using imperial gallons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts