Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To get fresh vent air without power-robbing A/C or drag-inducing open windows, AND to get recirculate, for more efficient A/C (& more efficient heat, for 500e), just take 5 minutes to unplug the humidity sensor to the right of the rearview mirror:
Sensor Cover.jpg
Pop off this cover.
Toothpick Release.jpg
Insert a toothpick to release the tiny (but stubborn) purple peg from the black socket.
Unplugged.jpg
Yank it out & once you replace the cover nobody would notice if anything got broken.

Now you can save energy by using cool fresh vent air* without power-robbing A/C or unaerodynamic open windows. You can also use the recirculate function to increase the efficiency of A/C (when you need it cooler inside than outside) or heat, in the 500e, which has all-electric heat. On that note, 500e will often defog with vent or fan air & no power-robbing heat.

*With or without fan power: While driving, air flows in by itself, & it's even more effective if you close the passenger vents so you get all the air. Even if you crank the fan to full-blast it uses less than even moderate A/C settings.
Set HVAC.jpg
Now, for vent or unheated defog, keep pushing the 4 left buttons until NO lights are on & set the temp to "LO" to turn the heater off.

You can direct the air as desired with the 4 right buttons. Note that the only two you can use simultaneously are face & foot, as shown. The fan is showing zero bars, which usually requires pushing its "down" button.

HUGE thanks to other forum members for finally figuring it out. It took me 2 1/4 years to find this 5-minute DIY fix. NONE of the prior tips worked because the windshield fog sensor is overly-cautious, nearly ALWAYS giving a false-positve, so to "dehumidify", it activates the A/C compressor & deactivates the recirculate function. The fix only takes 5 minutes & you don't even need to pop the hood or bend over or get your hands dirty.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh that's sweet. Is it possible to recirculate when windshield/foot is active? I prefer windshield/foot over face/foot, but I also need recirculate in traffic when stuck behind some diesel.

Edit:
I've unplugged the sensor. Sadly it is not possible to blow cabin air to the windshield...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts