Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife noticed our vin where slightly off by a few months (nothing real inetresting at this point I know), but I was curious what digits are the one that indicate year/car # on the vin..

my last 6 digits are : T110146 and Wife's T110138

any clue ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The last 6 is the number off the line. It dosen't always start at 0. Sometimes 100000 or 010000. but your cars were built with only a few in between. Thats cool.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
not necessarily. with the exception of the PE's, the last 6 in the VIN sequence is computer generated and does not represent any particular 'order' of assembly.

for example, my VIN is CTXXX416 with a "Build Date" of 7/4/11. the sequential numbers following my VIN, 417, 418, 419 and 420 had build dates of 7/21/11, 7/21/11, 7/20/11 and 7/18/11 respectively. so the car with the next VIN after mine was built 17 days AFTER my car. the VIN before mine (CTXXX415) was built on 7/16/11.

while they were all made within a short time of each other, as you can see they were NOT made 'in order'.

even the PE's, while the VIN's are sequential, I've noticed that they were NOT necessarily made 'in order'.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mabey Fiat dose thing differently. I worked for a brief time at the Honda plant in Alliston ontario and their VINs were sequential.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The 10th digit indicates model year, with A being 2010, B 2011, etc.

yes, that has been the format since 1980, when the 10th digit was ALSO an "A".

the 11th digit, with Chrysler/Fiat anyway, is the Plant (in this case Toluca Mexico). you'll notice the 11th digit in ALL PT Cruisers, some early Neons and all Dodge Journeys have the "T" for Toluca.

FYI, some of the other Chrysler Plants are:

B.....St Louis, MO
C.....Detroit (North Jefferson), MI
D.....Belvedere, IL
E.....Normal, IL
F.....Newark, DE
H....Brampton, Ontario
L.....Toledo (South), OH
W....Toledo (North), OH

there are more.....just can't think of them at the time. LOL :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts